Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Why even bother pressing the disks then? If you're gonna go that route (valid or not), save yourself a few cents and just throw a steam code in the box and be done with it. So strange.

Because then you have to print some instructions on how to activate the Steam code, and more importantly you have to deal with it when the bottom percentile of your users can't follow those instructions and fail to install the game. Much harder to mess up a CD that autoruns a Steam installer.

PS moddy your link is missing a colon after the "http"

Fixed.

Anyway it's such a shame because I do know people on super strict capped net agreements that their flatmates or situations won't budge on. Or they do have unlimited but the DL takes a week or so.

Having the box as a game library fixture will justify the purchase in spite of this for some but it's just so rude to the people buying it to not have the game on the disk.

Having the box as a game library fixture will justify the purchase in spite of this for some

That's not even a reason. Even if they're committed to doing Steam, if they're going to do a disc they can still load the disc with the game files to avoid a 60 GB download.

The thing I like about having boxed versions is having my own hard copy. I don't necessarily need a box but it fits on a shelf, so that's nice. Having a box with basically nothing inside is bizarre. I have a few PC games that require Steam activation but I could probably just crack them later if need be since the files are on there.

That's not even a reason.

Sure; it's still the reason people will give as they buy it to finish their display collections alongside their Metal Gear Red dioramas.

I haven't bought physical copies of PC games in a while, but I reserved a copy of this game simply because the boxed copy was much cheaper than the (unsuspicious) digital versions. I think it also comes with a map but that is not a big deal for me. I was wondering just this morning how many DVDs they will have to include to fit the game data because they can't expect PC gamers to have bluray drives.

How are physical copies of large scale PC games typically handled these days? 

I usually buy physical copies when they are available. Especially when they are gigantic to download as I only have 17Mbps. GTA5 asshole action of only shipping 90% of the content on disk was not appreciated at all. It took me more than a day to download the remaining 5GiB due to shitty Rockstar CDN.

Up to release Steam had a better deal of MGS5:PP as it contained GZ for free (20 euro "worth") for the same 60 euro pricetag. The cheapest "physical" copy I found was 48 euros.

This is the first time I heard about a "code in box" rather than a steam pre-load on disc.

How are physical copies of large scale PC games typically handled these days? 

44497_06_grand-theft-auto-pc-comes-7-dis

Hahaha! I don't know why people don't just publish a Blu-ray version, it's not like the drives are that expensive. I see cheap no name drives out there at around $35.

Yeah that is absolutely ludicrous. For all of PC gaming's technical advantages, that we're still stuck with DVDs in an era of games often being 15–40GB is downright daft. For people like me with relatively slow internet connections (still sadly common even in UK cities), digital distribution isn't a good solution with all forms of digital media continuing to balloon in file size.

Green Man Gaming has a 23% off voucher which works on MGS V, for those of you who have yet to purchase the game.

or those who have bought it but haven't played for 2 hours yet.

Like me.

edit: Weird, I can't find MGSV on GMG. Maybe it's region locked? Or they have limited codes? 

edit edit: yup region locked :( http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/action/metal-gear-solid-v-phantom-pain/

That last paragraph is about as high a praise as you can get:

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is not just a high watermark for the series. It is the greatest ever stealth game by a distance, a true masterclass from a designer and team who bow out at the very peak of their creative powers. This is one of the greatest blockbusters our medium has ever had as well as the perfect ending to one of gamings' great series - and the end of one incredible, extended journey from Hideo Kojima. For decades to come, players will see the legacy of Metal Gear Solid, and have no choice but to salute.

Maybe those working conditions at Konami are the way to go! :P

I'd imagine that Kojima Productions folks didn't have to worry about being reassigned to janitorial positions. That, or that's why Kojima and Konami had a falling out.

I threw down the helicopter flare grenade thingy thinking it would come and pick me up from anywhere on the map, which I was wrong about. In fact, the helicopter flew overhead, spotted enemies way off in the distance and started firing. I got my goggles out and saw it shoot down about 6 troops in a big fort way off in the distance...all while Kids in America was playing. This game is pretty cool.

Also, I was having a pretty bad time yesterday because all of the load times were stupidly long (playing on PS4), even for simple things like going into menus and a close to two minute load into the helicopter. Then today I started up the game and it forced me into offline mode, in which all the load times were super fast. Other that the mother base invasion stuff, what is the point in playing online?

And a tip for anyone playing on PS4, there is an option to make the iDroid lady's voice come out of the Dualshock's speaker which is great as I was finding the crosstalk between iDroid, voiceover, and tape audio to be infuriating.

Daily rewards and the forward base of operations stuff is all I know of at the moment, and I haven't even unlocked the FBO yet.

Game crashes on launch 100% of times. Drivers up to date. Integrity of local cache confirmed. My PC of well below the minimum required spec but I was able to play GZ without much issue.

I guess I'll refund and try again after an upgrade T___T

Game crashes on launch 100% of times. Drivers up to date. Integrity of local cache confirmed. My PC of well below the minimum required spec but I was able to play GZ without much issue.

I guess I'll refund and try again after an upgrade T___T

What kind of CPU do you have? There were some AMD processors that had some kind of compatibility issue with the game (that I think they might have just patched?). 

Its a Core 2 Quad Q6600 so I don't think it's the problem (unless the problem is that it's like 8 years old). 

Good news, I got the collector's edition stuff I wanted for less than I would from the $40 extra dollars from upgrading by just trolling ebay for the DLC code and the bonus disc piecemeal. Take that! Now I don't have to feel slightly guilty for throwing a plastic arm and bulky packaging in the garbage.

Also I cancelled my Day 1 copy on Amazon after that since Amazon doesn't care about shipping games on time unless you pay for prime and now I can buy this game when it's on sale and I'm ready to play it in like 2-3 years. Neato!

Game has taken over my liiiiife. 

God, I love everything about this game.

And fuck! That prologue, damn. Intense.