Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I've been working my way through the Ground Zeroes side-ops this week and having a hell of a time, some of them are legitimately fun and change things up pretty nicely. That game got a lot of shit but there's plenty there for £15 I reckon and the cutscene at the end of the Intel Operative Rescue mission is probably worth that on its own. I'm going to miss Kojima with nobody to bankroll his lovely madness.

I wanted to extract all the prisoners so I had a sweet save to transfer over but my copy of The Phantom Pain is coming today apparently so that's the end of that.

I tried last night to extract 'The Eye' and 'The Finger' but after many restarts I managed to only get one before the other randomly decides to leave and mission failed. I guess I'll try a different mission or a lower difficulty.

Because of its music import feature, I'm thinking of making a custom playlist for the game, I'm not sure. On the one hand I feel like - what am I thinking? I'm a huge purist and I only want to hear the game's soundtrack and the specific licensed music that Kojima-san selected throughout the experience. On the other hand there's been something calling to me lately, when I look at this game - look at the sand and Mother Base and the sunsets and Big Boss... I think there's really something to be said for walking around and listening to You Can't Always Get What You Want.

So after I wrote that I found this thread and it inspired me to go for it. Since I don't post on the Giant Bomb forum or anything, I hope no one will find it too self-indulgent if I give my playlist here, and I absolutely encourage others to do the same. It definitely helps kill some time while waiting for the game to release.

I'm quite happy with my playlist, musically and thematically; all pre-1984.

1. The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil

5. The Doors - People Are Strange

6. Ike and Tina Turner - Son of a Preacher Man

(And yeah, if you recognize my avatar, it was a tight fit, chronologically, to get those Pogues songs in there.)

Have Konami or the reviewers given any additional details about the music import feature? If the game supports creating casette mixtapes and force you to flip the casette halfway through the mixtape, I'm ready to call this GOTY2015.

I'm going to miss Kojima with nobody to bankroll his lovely madness.

With the reviews for this game I don't think that Kojima will have an awful lot of trouble finding someone to back him, even if it comes down to what will surely be the most successful Kickstarter on the planet.

A friend of mine had his MGS5 preorder come today. What an absolute git. Sounds like Simply Games is the place to go for UK preorders.

Have Konami or the reviewers given any additional details about the music import feature? If the game supports creating casette mixtapes and force you to flip the casette halfway through the mixtape, I'm ready to call this GOTY2015.

Skullface could unspool all my hard work and drive my psych meter all the way down.

With the reviews for this game I don't think that Kojima will have an awful lot of trouble finding someone to back him, even if it comes down to what will surely be the most successful Kickstarter on the planet.

A friend of mine had his MGS5 preorder come today. What an absolute git. Sounds like Simply Games is the place to go for UK preorders.

Getting to the point where I keep checking the Steam page just to get angry at them for not breaking street date.

Thanks a bunch for the information pyeixe and Smart Jason, I'll probably run through each mission once just to experience them all and then repeat a few to try and extract some additional folks.  This is my first actual Metal Gear game after watching what seems to be all the major ones at Giant Bomb.  I'm really reluctant to do too much reading for fear of spoiling cool stuff or just missing out on the discovery of the game but what kind of strategies do you all employ in Ground Zeroes?  I was able to make it through most of the missions I've done so far with just one retry and generally non-lethally.

I will say for example on the Paz and Chico main mission and the one where getting a casette is a trap I tend to get to the objective stealthily and then just find a truck and gun my way out or drive as fast as possible away.  Is there a better method or is patience pretty much the only real key?  I try to tag everyone and tranq them in the head with the first opportunity but I've always been garbage at stealth games so I'm curious as to whether I should be throwing magazines as distractions or doing other stuff more often.

Also that Intel mission...

Dumb fun and having Kojima felt like the kind of absurdity I've enjoyed in the series.  I had the thought that his glasses weren't period appropriate and had to briefly wonder what kind of monster I was for even thinking it.

I did find that the truck method was extremely effective, although I only discovered you could do that when replaying it on hard. The first time I played Ground Zeroes I extracted the female prisoner all the way out to the cliff you started at, which I can definitely say wasn't easy but just required a lot of good timing. Your toolbox is pretty limited in GZ, but you can still make use of distractions. For example, set some C4 somewhere and detonate it to attract enemy attention over there. Magazines are unbelievably useful and make up for the lack of being able to knock on surfaces like in previous games.

I find that GZ is at its best when you're not overthinking things too much and think fast, maintaining stealth but only just. The game seems to allow for lots of edge-of-seat moments like this due to cars unexpectedly driving by and patrols changing, which is but a taste of what to expect in The Phantom Pain's much bigger world. In previous games you can plan out a whole section and execute it quite perfectly, but in GZ you can totally have a solid idea of what you're going to do and some spanner will almost certainly be thrown in the works. Also, in previous games you could 'clear' areas by taking everyone out. This isn't really possible in GZ so you need to embrace using CQC (or if you must tranquilisers) to temporarily get through areas.

As reviews have highlighted, the gameplay mechanics and systems in MGS5 are the star of the show. Unlike any previous MGS game, you can have bombastic experiences that resemble scripted set pieces occur out of absolutely nowhere. With so many options and ways of playing the game, I think that self-imposed restrictions will be a more fun way then ever before to play (or replay) these games. That is, challenge yourself to only use certain pieces of equipment, no weapons, no alerts, etc.

I only recently found this video, which I thought was super interesting and has actually altered the way I play:

Before this I'd always assumed that tranquilizers kept guards down longer than CQC, that hold ups weren't indefinite (as they were in Peace Walker), etc. Very informative and presumably quite useful for Phantom Pain as well.

I been playing this today :tup: the super cheap website I bought it from broke the release date by like 5 days woop woop

It's really good!

note to self, don't jump off mother base

I been playing this today :tup: the super cheap website I bought it from broke the release date by like 5 days woop woop

It's really good

I don't want to encourage you to start answering questions that could lead more and more toward things I don't want to hear, but there was a guy who also got an early copy in the Metal Gear subreddit that piqued my interest about the scoring system and didn't further elaborate. I'm curious, is it clear when you officially begin operations so you know when you're being scored? Like, what if you just drop into the open world and take your time/kill people/get an alert and then later activate a main mission or side op? Does what you did before then count toward your score in the op? Are you always technically in a particular operation when in the open world? Also, the aforementioned guy said there's now a No Kills bonus to replace the score penalty for individual kills; I'm curious - is there still a No Reflex bonus?

P.S. I'm sorry that I'm so mad at you right now.

I am sick of this SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Still a no reflex bonus I believe, as well as no kill, no restarts/checkpoints etc

After their first few hours it looks like the game becomes mission based. So you'd select a mission, outfit for it and the whole time you're in it you are being scored.i have 3 mission available to me. Also these mission areas seem to have invisible walls, you will fail the mission if you leave the mission area. Like the map is separated out in to lots of districts.

I have also seen the option to just go free roam instead of taking up a mission, can you enter a mission during free roam.... I'm thinking probably not? Like you would have to go back to mother base first. I'm not sure

12 foltons in a mission. They also cost 300gmp to use. But all of that can be upgrade I assume. The folton I have at the minute can't pick up any equipment/weapons yet

I have been collect lots of plants :tup: standard open world past time

I can't "log in to the server" I guess because it's so early. It also won't let me upload my GZs save either. But my day one edition code worked. There's another code in the box that didn't work which I think is for the double xp

I'll post a screen shot of the end of mission screen in a bit

post-27841-0-95816400-1440693910_thumb.jpg

It won't let me upload videos/screamshot with the share button :( probably because it's before release day.

There are 'side ops' as well as missions. Like "extract the highly skilled soldier". Maybe these will be available in free roam?!?

Edit: yes they are

So this might have already been answered, but do I need to play ground zeroes in order to enjoy 5? Is ground zeroes in 5 at all?

It's really good!

note to self, don't jump off mother base

WTF! Goddamn it, I want my copy

thepassion.gif

The opening hour of this is so stupid and wonderful. I'm a couple of hours in now just having started the first mission proper and so far it's surpassed my expectations - it seems a lot more forgiving than GZ was at first which is nice as that was quite abrupt and I was getting spotted all over the place while I tried to adjust to the controls and it looks utterly staggering in places, easily the best looking PS4 title I've seen yet. I am pleased at my decision to not have watched any trailers of this as I've seen plenty of things so far that have made me absurdly happy. Can't wait to dump more hours into it over the weekend when I can just slob out properly without remorse.

simplygames were always good but five days early really was the most pleasant of surprises.

I find that GZ is at its best when you're not overthinking things too much and think fast, maintaining stealth but only just.

I was finding it frustrating yesterday as I kept failing while trying to be super meticulous but I've been playing Ground Zeroes this evening and I think I've got there, although being super stealth I'm mostly avoiding alerts and managing to move at a good pace. I just extracted The Eye and The Finger along with all the prisoners in all but the main mission which I'll probably do tomorrow.

Right you early delivery BASTARDS, I'm getting this tomorrow and I can't bloody wait!!!!!

Why even bother pressing the disks then? If you're gonna go that route (valid or not), save yourself a few cents and just throw a steam code in the box and be done with it. So strange.

PS moddy your link is missing a colon after the "http"