Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Oh yeah, I totally missed that. Building GMP should provide a really nice sub-game, especially if you can earn it through base assaults and stuff. All of that could become a way you spend your evenings on MGS5 in itself, like Destiny except with a fleet of fortresses to show for it rather than just a piece of shit in your inventory.

All of that could become a way you spend your evenings on MGS5 in itself, like Destiny except with a fleet of fortresses to show for it rather than just a piece of shit in your inventory.

:(

That said, after seeing that Gamescom trailer for the first time, I realized they could have just released the Mother Base concept as another stand-alone game like Ground Zeroes and I would pay $60 for that easy. The whole GMP/Mother Base concept is one of the most ambitious things I think Kojima has ever done, and if it works as well as it looks I can easily see myself running three or four base invasions/defenses an evening before I get pieces of shit for my inventory.

Except, you know, I will use the money from bases to get Every Tranq Option as a piece of shit for my inventory so I can try to no-kill my way through MGSV

Can you imagine if there was a clan system in place for FOBs? Share resources/upgrades with allies, get the option to defend other bases in case your clanmate is indisposed, send distress signals if you are overwhelmed by an invader on your base, etc.

Man, now I just want FOBs as a separate game altogether. It's such a cool concept, and I can't wait to tinker with it.

Reviews are rolling in and there are roughly one billion 10/10s. 

Officially going media dark until I play it. 

God speed. It's been a hell of a ride.

Because of its music import feature, I'm thinking of making a custom playlist for the game, I'm not sure. On the one hand I feel like - what am I thinking? I'm a huge purist and I only want to hear the game's soundtrack and the specific licensed music that Kojima-san selected throughout the experience. On the other hand there's been something calling to me lately, when I look at this game - look at the sand and Mother Base and the sunsets and Big Boss... I think there's really something to be said for walking around and listening to You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Do you guys think it's possible to play this and have fun even if I'm not fully educated on MGS story?

I'm conflicted if I should get this. I played only MGS2, and while I recognize that it is truly an unique work, I just couldn't take the story seriously because of the writing and the constant plot twists, that kinda banalizes the whole thing. But it was still kinda fun.

If you want to play it to have fun, might as well ignore the story. I can't imagine it's any more accessible than any of the other games. I think maybe only Metal Gear Solid 3 was accessible to new players because of its prequel nature. Even the original Metal Gear Solid is somewhat reliant on you having played Metal Gear 2, despite that no one outside of Japan would have done so at the time.

Do you guys think it's possible to play this and have fun even if I'm not fully educated on MGS story?

I'm conflicted if I should get this. I played only MGS2, and while I recognize that it is truly an unique work, I just couldn't take the story seriously because of the writing and the constant plot twists, that kinda banalizes the whole thing. But it was still kinda fun.

The sense I'm getting from people's reactions to the reviews is that the story is as complex and unfriendly to newcomers as ever, but instead of being told through long, expository cutscenes it's mostly relegated to cassette tapes which you can listen to on your own time (either from a menu or while in the game), same as Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. So, in that sense, I think that strides have been taken to allow people unfamiliar with the story to still engage with the game and have a satisfying experience without being stopped every few steps for another cinematic which you might find incomprehensible.

Having said that, as a huge fan of the series and its storyline, this is bumming me out, since I find listening to cassette tapes to be far more tedious than watching cutscenes. I guess I can only hope that it'll be better than Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes because you're collecting tapes gradually in Phantom Pain so you can keep up with them at a pace instead of being dumped all of them at once, and also you can listen to the cassettes as you slowly explore the open environment. Peace Walker is literally the only game in the series in which I didn't even bother trying to listen to half the content, because I found it so much more psychologically trying to be given a huge checklist of non-interactive story dumps than to have codec calls and cutscenes slowly trickle down (or occasionally be blasted into you like a fire hose) throughout the game.

Of course, right now my hype is off the damn charts, so whatever, give me ten hours of cassette tapes and I'll listen to them all while just walking around in a circle in the world if I could.

Checking Metacritic, here's the Telegraph's (five star) review quote saying exactly that:

Perhaps MGSV’s best quality is how in pulling gameplay to the foreground and letting much of the exposition remain optional, it opens it up to be enjoyed by people who have in the past been put off by its weirdness, serving as both the perfect entry point and a satisfying conclusion. MGSV takes the best of a great series and creates a series’ best in the process.

The first Metal Gear Solid game I played was MGS4 and I had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on any of the time. I was also painfully aware that I was supposed to be like "Holy shit, I know that name!" most of the time, while I in fact recognized none of the people, organizations and concepts that were discussed. As you can imagine, the 1+ hour long cutscenes were a bit much for a newcomer (and many veteran players too, I would imagine). So to me "pulling gameplay to the foreground and letting much of the exposition remain optional" sounds like a good move, unless they go way too far in the other direction.

Then again, I will soon be a certified MGS Lore Master, having been watching Dan and Drew of Giant Bomb play through the Metal Gear Solid series in Metal Gear Scanlon. I'm halfway through MGS3 at this point, and at this rate I will finish the game by the time Phantom Pain hits. 

This was has already been posted in the Giant Bomb thread but look at this cool shit:

I have a bunch on crabby things I want to say about MGS5, but I think it's really covering up for the fact that I really want to play it, but I'm conflicted on the content as well as the method of production and I'm trying to resist buying it anyway.

I have a bunch on crabby things I want to say about MGS5, but I think it's really covering up for the fact that I really want to play it, but I'm conflicted on the content as well as the method of production and I'm trying to resist buying it anyway.

The first Metal Gear Solid game I played was MGS4 and I had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on any of the time. I was also painfully aware that I was supposed to be like "Holy shit, I know that name!" most of the time, while I in fact recognized none of the people, organizations and concepts that were discussed. As you can imagine, the 1+ hour long cutscenes were a bit much for a newcomer (and many veteran players too, I would imagine). So to me "pulling gameplay to the foreground and letting much of the exposition remain optional" sounds like a good move, unless they go way too far in the other direction.

Then again, I will soon be a certified MGS Lore Master, having been watching Dan and Drew of Giant Bomb play through the Metal Gear Solid series in Metal Gear Scanlon. I'm halfway through MGS3 at this point, and at this rate I will finish the game by the time Phantom Pain hits. 

This was has already been posted in the Giant Bomb thread but look at this cool shit:

Haha, I can't believe he just stood there for 18 minutes straight. Seems so so boring.

What the heck is a Scanlon?

Drew Scanlon.

I wonder if that took many takes. I would have had a hard time keeping a straight face for that long, knowing what a ridiculous thing I was filming.

Like you said, the video's already been posted and discussed, but yeah, that was one take (he made sure he got it right since he didn't want to eat more Red Vines).

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm convinced to get the game now, even if I don't get all the plot-twists and references to previous entries, the game seems good enough on its own.

I also watched a "MGS in 12 minutes" by game trailers that was a bit helpful, so I learned a bit more of the story beyond MGS2, even though I'm obviously missing a lot of things.

The sense I'm getting from people's reactions to the reviews is that the story is as complex and unfriendly to newcomers as ever, but instead of being told through long, expository cutscenes it's mostly relegated to cassette tapes which you can listen to on your own time (either from a menu or while in the game), same as Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. So, in that sense, I think that strides have been taken to allow people unfamiliar with the story to still engage with the game and have a satisfying experience without being stopped every few steps for another cinematic which you might find incomprehensible.

Having said that, as a huge fan of the series and its storyline, this is bumming me out, since I find listening to cassette tapes to be far more tedious than watching cutscenes. I guess I can only hope that it'll be better than Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes because you're collecting tapes gradually in Phantom Pain so you can keep up with them at a pace instead of being dumped all of them at once, and also you can listen to the cassettes as you slowly explore the open environment. Peace Walker is literally the only game in the series in which I didn't even bother trying to listen to half the content, because I found it so much more psychologically trying to be given a huge checklist of non-interactive story dumps than to have codec calls and cutscenes slowly trickle down (or occasionally be blasted into you like a fire hose) throughout the game.

Of course, right now my hype is off the damn charts, so whatever, give me ten hours of cassette tapes and I'll listen to them all while just walking around in a circle in the world if I could.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan at all of this manner of storytelling (it depends of the game, I loved it in gone home), but I guess it will be good for newcomers, because it will focus more on the main story of the game instead of telling stuffjust related to other parts of the story.

Edit (spoiler of the trailer, just in case someone is in a full blackout):

the gigantic robot scene with a penis-gun looks super good.

Finally pre-ordered last night and did a run through the first mission on Ground Zeroes.  Does anyone know which missions in Ground Zeroes lead to staff at Mother Base in the full game?  I don't know if its specific prisoners or if I should be trying to balloon people off-shore but I'd like to try and knock out a few of those missions if they carry over.

basically it's all named/mission people, I also got all the regular POWs just in case.

It's also a helicopter extraction, no fultons unfortunately

Finally pre-ordered last night and did a run through the first mission on Ground Zeroes.  Does anyone know which missions in Ground Zeroes lead to staff at Mother Base in the full game?  I don't know if its specific prisoners or if I should be trying to balloon people off-shore but I'd like to try and knock out a few of those missions if they carry over.

I found a comprehensive list at some point but unfortunately can't find it again. I'll just write it from it memory, though:

Main Op:

Chico

Paz

Escaped Prisoner

Prison Camp POWs

Eliminate the Renegade Threat:

Glaz

Palitz

Prison Camp POWs

Intel Operative Rescue:

Intel Agent

Classified Intel Acquisition:

Agent

Bald Agent

Prison Camp POWs

Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements:

Prisoner 12282

Prison Camp POWs

Thankfully, nobody in either Déjà Vu or Jamais Vu. Let me know if you need help with any of these specifically.

I wonder how much of a difference that extra mother base staff makes. I can't wait to play Phantom Pain, but peculiarly I am not that keen on replaying Ground Zeroes.