Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

The licensed 80s music to fit with the time period is a nice touch.

Seeing the P.T. logos is painful. Damn it, I'll never get to play it.

I need to do that. I was just going to buy it on PSN until I saw the price £57. When I can get it retail for £42. I'll probably just pop out at lunch time in release day and buy it in a supermarket. So much easier

Although I'll miss out on all those sweet preorder incentives :0

£35 here: http://deals.simplygames.com/p/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-day-one-edition-incls-dlc-ps4

Never heard of the website but damn that's good value. That 40% off the price of PSN, how stupid is that. People must be paying it

BOOM Pre ordered

I've heard the first couple of hours are amazing, which I assume is all the hospital stuff. I want to experience that day one

I think I'll preorder it from my local Game because mail is really unreliable when you live in an apartment you're never in as far as the postman is concerned and you can guarantee Amazon or whoever will put it in a big-ass box.

I noticed there's a 'day one edition' there that comes with a camo box and some other shit. Am I missing out on some super-sweet pre-order bonus that some specific retailer has?

Wow, gross. There isn't even a Day One Edition on Steam and the PC bonuses you do get are different than what's on the chart. At least, that's what's advertised. Who the hell knows. Whole thing's gross.

I have watched a bunch of gameplay videos where they emphasize your freedom in approaching the missions however you like, which is cool. I also liked the sandbox nature and relatively short length of the Spetsnaz elimination mission. Will this style extend to main story missions or is it more of a side mission thing*? I assume that main missions will be longer and more complicated, but hopefully they are not too linear. I played about half of Metal Gear Solid IV before I got bored, but I think I might be up for this if the gameplay was more in the vein of (a military version of) Hitman.

Also, that special edition chart is pathetic. Basically just two editions. Once again, Ubisoft is way ahead of others:

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/90/908941/2915357-watch_dogs_editions-noscale.jpg

* I haven't paid much attention to this game, so I don't know whether this has been discussed in other videos, interviews, or previews. I also don't know how or if the missions are categorized within the game.

The mission you're referring to is supposedly a main story mission, if you watch its selection in those videos. Granted, it's Metal Gear, so I'm sure there'll be some points in the story that'll be more tightly scripted, but Peace Walker was already heading in the direction of fewer of those anyway, for better or worse.

I'm annoyed that it is impossible to preorder that Collector's Edition now. I don't care about those extra dlc codes and I don't want that stupid fucking hand at all. I am just pissed that that is the only way to get the making of blu-ray. The easy to find MGS4 limited edition came with one that was way over an hour long and a good watch. Seems like a shame to tuck that away in an extremely low quantity limited edition most people preordered for the sake of a plastic arm. If I were to get my hands on that edition, I'd probably just gut the game and making of disc and put the rest on ebay.

I have watched a bunch of gameplay videos where they emphasize your freedom in approaching the missions however you like, which is cool. I also liked the sandbox nature and relatively short length of the Spetsnaz elimination mission. Will this style extend to main story missions or is it more of a side mission thing*? I assume that main missions will be longer and more complicated, but hopefully they are not too linear. I played about half of Metal Gear Solid IV before I got bored, but I think I might be up for this if the gameplay was more in the vein of (a military version of) Hitman.

I'm guessing it will all play much closer to a longform version of Peacewalker than the weird ultralinear mess of MGS4. The video has a lot of +GMP notifications which means it will be doing a lot of the same in terms of doing random things to earn resources for better weapons and soldiers.

I played through Ground Zeroes (which I apparently bought during one of the Steam sales) and I have really mixed feelings about it.

MGS4 is the only Metal Gear Solid game I have played, and so I had no idea what was going on story-wise, and I imagine I will have hard time caring about the plot of Phantom Pain after the ending of Ground Zeroes. The much-debated Paz scenes and allusions were indeed unnecessary and extremely gross.

The gameplay, especially in terms of the detection system, felt pretty brutal and I was constantly loading checkpoints at first. I get easily frustrated if I have to play the same section again and again, and I would have hoped that there was some sort of a quick save system (although I know that would make the game seem way too easy for many people) or, even better, better tools for remedying the situation after you fuck up. I also wish there had been more interesting abilities at my disposal, because now I felt quite helpless in some situations. Based on the gameplay videos at least, this will be less of a problem in Phantom Pain because of all the gadgets and allies at your disposal. Moreover, I did not feel comfortable dealing with rapid changes in situations, e.g. when the guards noticed that Paz was missing and went into a search mode. I imagine that this will be a less of problem once I get used to the controls and the gameplay, but now I had enough trouble executing my plans even when the guards were moving predictably, let alone actively looking for me.

That said, being able to rescue Paz without detection after the guards had been alerted to her escape in just two tries felt super good. If Phantom Pain is going to be that, but with more tools and "power", I might actually enjoy the gameplay a lot. However, I can also see how I get frustrated at some point, and resort to a walkthrough for the rest of the game.

Finally, the game looked good and ran smoothly on my computer, so yay for that.

I'm not sure if MGS5 is the kind of game where a walkthrough is that useful because it does seem to be built quite strongly around unpredictability, which is about as far removed as it gets from the earlier games but extremely refreshing IMO. Some of my best MGS moments from the whole series have been when I've had to think very quickly while retaining my stealth after unexpectedly being spotted by an enemy, which MGS5 causes to happen a lot. It does make the game more tense though, so hopefully there'll be 'palate cleanser' indoor sections that simplify things a bit. Heck, the Mother Base intrusions could provide some of that more linear traditional gameplay.

It really put the wind up me when I first experienced the 'let's mix things up' moments in Ground Zeroes because never has an MGS game really robbed control of enemy states from you, however the large playing areas do allow for escape in ways that the previous games just didn't. For example, running from alerts and creating distractions is far more viable now due to the enemies having a more developed sense of your (perceived) location. Consider laying C4 and such not just to destroy, but to attract attention while you escape. The Phantom Pain is clearly going to give you a much broader arsenal of stuff to use creatively so that should be superb.

Anyway, yeah I was pretty irritated by the making-of stuff only being in the top edition, but I've resigned myself to hoping that it appears online — even if I have to buy it — before long.

Watched some more gameplay videos. 

The mother base stuff seems cool, but I'm glad that FOB, i.e. the online infiltration stuff, is optional. I find that sort of stuff stressing as hell. Hopefully the economy is balanced in such a way that opting out of the PVP (and microtransactions, lol) will not make the rest of the game too hard or boring due to lack of resources.

I also hope (and heavily suspect) that most of the missions end in a big shootout only because they want to demo the shooter element extensively, for some reason.

Also, Sony Walkman and cassettes of period accurate music!!! Let me see that preorder chart again!

Yes I was, but it did not help me. I was always too far or panicked to hit the enemy that saw me. A couple of times I even reloaded a checkpoint before the timer run out because I was so mad about having fucked up. 

However, looking at the videos, the system actually seems quite useful, provided that the enemy is sufficiently isolated. I can see how it could make certain aspects of the stealth gameplay quite a bit less frustrating.

Its really handy for taking out a bunch of people I find, although only if you have a gun. The tranquilliser pistol is far too slow because of the need to chamber a new round every shot.

Yeah the alert thing saved me from a few spots that would have been really annoying, forcing me to re-infiltrate the area after escaping. I know that a lot of people disable it for that more traditional experience, but the scale and unpredictability of the environments in MGS5 is unprecedented in the series, and it's a balancing tool that I think was very wisely put in. Of course, for replays I will inevitably disable it as I work my way up to the most difficult possible experience as I always do with these games.

One thing I really like about GZ is the way you can do each mission at different levels of difficulty and challenge, unlike previous games where you have to slog through the whole experience with maximum pain. It's quite nice being able to do a rock-solid version of a mission you've already completed if you're not in the mood for doing something new. I look forward to TPP expanding on this.

MGS4 is the only Metal Gear Solid game I have played, and so I had no idea what was going on story-wise, and I imagine I will have hard time caring about the plot of Phantom Pain after the ending of Ground Zeroes. The much-debated Paz scenes and allusions were indeed unnecessary and extremely gross.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about how much all that stuff bothers me. ;(

Damn it Kojima Prod. and your puppies with eye patches!

Probably for the best I never bothered unlocking that last tape, as is probably the case for the majority.

Soooo do you get a limited amount of fultons in a mission? Or can you just go ape shit and collect everything/everyone?

Hmmm I'm kind of an obsessive collector, I can see this taking up a huge amount of my time.

I haven't seen anything making that clear, as for demos they seem to use cheats. With Peace Walker there was an upgradeable per-mission limit, so if TPP continues the trend of discrete missions as opposed to one long stretch of game then I expect the same to be the case.

Soooo do you get a limited amount of fultons in a mission? Or can you just go ape shit and collect everything/everyone?

Hmmm I'm kind of an obsessive collector, I can see this taking up a huge amount of my time.

Not sure about actual Fulton inventory (as Thrik stated, that was the case with Peace Walker), but in all the gameplay demos you can see that there's a GMP cost of Fultoning things out. GMP (likely being a play on GDP) is your resource for all Mother Base initiatives - expansions, R&D, supply drops, etc. That's your bottleneck; and every Fulton recovery has a cost as well.

So, apparently Ken Imaizumi - or somebody else on the development team, I can't find the tweet myself - dropped the detail that rescued POWs in Ground Zeroes will stack when imported to Phantom Pain. This has been a bit of a frustration for me lately. Everyone's working off the very old promise that unique recoveries from Ground Zeroes will transfer to Phantom Pain (i.e., Hideo Kojima, Glaz and Palitz, the escaped prisoner, the informant, the POWs from each mission) and there's been no further information about that. I wish I had something more solid because it's really making my completionist sense itch to ensure I have the maximum starting staff possible.