Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Fantastic trailer. Couldn't undesrtand shit (played only MGS2), but that is amazing.

I am once again gagging for this game.

It does all look very serious in the trailer, but the gameplay videos indicate that it'll have just as much silliness as previous games — more so than MGS4, even. So I'm looking forward to seeing how they balance the two, which will be challenging but if anyone can it's Kojima Productions.

Hearing Zero's voice was really cool, although I'm not sure if it was the same actor. Good likeness if not. It's weird, I think Zero has this almost mystical thing about him now due to the tremendous impact his actions have had upon the MGS universe, and his being referred to numerous times in Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes but never heard or seen. An unseen antagonist who's been completely messing shit up. Should be a great scene if he makes his return.

If Kojima can show some restraint (like in Peacewalker) this could be really good, maybe the best of the series...it certainly looks that way so far. Also I am psyched about the PC co-release, ground zeroes looked great on PC.

So is this the part where we are supposed to confirm to Kojima what an amazing idea The Quiet? Camo idea confirmed and soooo what?  She's still a crazy lady running around in the desert with a thong on while everyone else wears coats.

Don't worry, I'll be having Snake run around naked so that things are balanced out.

So is this the part where we are supposed to confirm to Kojima what an amazing idea The Quiet? Camo idea confirmed and soooo what? She's still a crazy lady running around in the desert with a thong on while everyone else wears coats.

Look, they referred to her using a French phrase. That's how you KNOW everything about her is smart and considered and high art.

Look, they referred to her using a French phrase. That's how you KNOW everything about her is smart and considered and high art.

I'm really hoping the French phrase was "Le Quiet". 

I'm really hoping the French phrase was "Le Quiet".

It was either some reference to ecrasez l'infame or les enfants terrible. I might just be getting confused because of course MGS would quote Voltaire. I'm at work, so I can't give it a listen again.

I fully expect the big game changing revelation of Quiet to be 100x's worse than anyone expects: 

I still buy the theory that Quiet is linked to Chico in some way and that the rape tape in Ground Zeroes is integral to that relationship. Chronologically, by order of the numbers of the tapes, Chico "talks" right after that. Skullface also makes references to the act he inflicted on Paz making Chico a "man" during those tapes. Quiet is a woman who can't speak.

I plan on being critical of media I otherwise enjoy. 

It was either some reference to ecrasez l'infame or les enfants terrible. I might just be getting confused because of course MGS would quote Voltaire. I'm at work, so I can't give it a listen again.

Les Enfant Terrible is a callback to MGS1:

It was the cloning project that created the sons of Big Boss, Solid Snake and Liquid Snake

Les Enfant Terrible is a callback to MGS1:

That was pretty much the only reference I understood.

Damnit! When will MGS2/3 go on sale?! I ignored the Xmas sale because I was still playing MGS1 and now I really regret it.

Buy them at once. Do not worry yourself with 'finances' when it concerns Metal Gear Solid.

I wish I still had Portable Ops and a copy of MGS But having a copy of the anniversary is pretty sweet 8D

Just got to the caves in MGS3. Spent a few minutes frustratedly running around in virtually pitch blackness trying to find some wooden torches, didn't have any luck. Then I noticed that very gradually the image had gotten just slightly brighter as your eyes do in real life, allowing me to more or less figure out where I'm going — what a great way of handling the player not being able to find a light source while still encouraging them to give it a try.

Also, just picked up some glow-in-the-dark mushrooms and Snake convinced himself they can charge his batteries. God I love the cheesiness of the codec conversations in this game at times.

Also, just picked up some glow-in-the-dark mushrooms and Snake convinced himself they can charge his batteries. God I love the cheesiness of the codec conversations in this game at times.

Yeah. Isn't Snake a silly guy? Haha.

Check your batteries.

Oh I know, I just love how the rationale for it is explained in such a silly manner. There are lots of little things like that I love in MGS, like the cold medicine (not) curing your sea sickness in MGS2 and Otacon's desperate explanations for why the Metal Gear Mk 2 is invisible basically all of the time yet can't be when unlocking some door. It's all part of the self-knowing daftness of the series and I love it. :tup:

Time for teg's stupid uninformed prediction:

You're not playing as the real Big Boss, but an early draft of the Les Enfants Terrible project that had a deformed arm due to the accelerated aging process. The thing in your head is actually a control mechanism designed to keep your brain inhibited or implant memories of being Big Boss or something. Real Big Boss either won't appear or will be played by David Hayter.

I love that, among all the controversy surrounding her character design, they put Hush in a buddy menu populated with animal companions. Like hey, would you like [HORSE], [DOG], or [PRETTY LADY WITH BOUNCY TITTIES].

Game looks real real good, though. :(

Just got to the caves in MGS3. Spent a few minutes frustratedly running around in virtually pitch blackness trying to find some wooden torches, didn't have any luck. Then I noticed that very gradually the image had gotten just slightly brighter as your eyes do in real life, allowing me to more or less figure out where I'm going — what a great way of handling the player not being able to find a light source while still encouraging them to give it a try.

Oh yeah that bit was always pretty brilliant design to me. Doing it quickly in the darkness is for speed runners, but the rest of us will eventually get it as "our eyes" adjust.

Watching the latest gameplay makes me really want to play this game, but I have never completed any of the others in the series despite owning the legacy collection for nearly a year. I played a few hours of MGS1 but dropped off from there. Looking at the series chronology it seems that Snake Eater is the only main series game that precedes The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes (which I own through PS+). Is there any merit to just playing MGS3 before jumping into MGS5? There isn't a hope in hell of me playing all the other games as well before September!

Watching the latest gameplay makes me really want to play this game, but I have never completed any of the others in the series despite owning the legacy collection for nearly a year. I played a few hours of MGS1 but dropped off from there. Looking at the series chronology it seems that Snake Eater is the only main series game that precedes The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes (which I own through PS+). Is there any merit to just playing MGS3 before jumping into MGS5? There isn't a hope in hell of me playing all the other games as well before September!

Does the Legacy Collection include Peace Walker like the HD Collection? Snake Eater, despite being the seminal title in the Big Boss storyline, doesn't have that much to do in terms of either gameplay concepts or characters with where that branch continues, and you'd probably find Phantom Pain to be more of a direct sequel to Peace Walker than Snake Eater.