Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I hear this sentiment a lot, and wholeheartedly agree, so where the hell is my Ac!d 3, Konami? Put in on iOS/Vita and let me have my damn card-based fun.

You could always play Social Ops. Oh wait, JP onry.  :wacko:

Also, yo is this that same art book for 50ish american US dollars instead of 338?

Rain on my parade why don't you :)

And anyways, my copies fucking mint! Just like me

I think maybe my assessment of 2 and where it stands compared to the rest of the series is partly due to my lack of "reverence" for the series in general. I mean, I'd consider myself a huge fan of the games (from Metal Gear through Rising), but I only first played all of them within the past 5 years. (And I played them out of order.)

You're right, in that case we are going to have fundamentally different ideas about what MGS is. MGS didn't have fans in 1998; it had fanatics, acolytes and apologists. The level of presentation, the strength of its anime-ness, and its serious messages about war and nuclear weapons made people consider Metal Gear Solid to be something much greater than just a good video game. There were those who didn't get it, but they were drowned out by the tide of essays and 5 star reviews. *Old man stoner voice* It was like the 60s man, you had to be there. 

I think the hype for MGS2, and the ruckus it caused at its released, is a major factor in the birth of the whole Neogaf culture. Before DLC, DRM etc. wrested control of the Internet's rage, people exploding on message boards was just their way of trying to recreate the gushing passion of the days MGS2, the Dreamcast, Theif 3/Deus Ex 2, and all the other crazy shit going on in that era that really doesn't have analogues in this era. I guess that's what Metal Gear means to me! :tup:

That and, MGS3 brought back the "cool" to the series that I wanted, and also was a step forward in the ways that I appreciate Kojima, like the forever ladder, and the river that contains the ghosts of every creature you ever killed up until that point. The first time it was so clogged with dead salmon and guys grabbing their stabbed necks that I could barely find a path through; the second time it was totally empty and somehow that was even scarier.

There are very good reasons why people tend to enjoy 1&3 over 2&4 and vice-versa. I think that makes the series as a whole much more interesting and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

MGS2 refuses to run on my modern PC. Huge bummer!

Nah MGS2 has plenty of codec bullshit to listen to!

And yes, the forever ladder and the river of lost souls are great fun. The revival pill, which I only even knew about at my 2nd playthrough, is also a highlight.

The battery-charging mushrooms, the Ape Escape minigame, killing The End hours before you fight him: Metal Gear Solid is truly insane.

Yeah I was going to say, MGS2 had just as much codec as the others. At the very least you got to talk to Otacon, Colonel, Rose, bomb dude, and Snake. Think that was it, but that's no less than the others. And the depth of conversation was pretty standard fare.

I think MGS2 always has been and always will be a love or hate game. I love it, I think the whole ending sequence was fantastically orchestrated. Admittedly the first time I played it I didn't really get it, I'm not sure if that was my early-teens age or it simply being too much to take in. But when I played it again years later what it was trying to do totally worked for me, and the subtle foreshadowing and connections to the previous game were really well done.

Whether the overarching philosophical message works for you or not is a different story entirely. I think MGS2 was trying to say something potentially a bit deep for such a game, but I appreciated it nonetheless and to an extent it was somewhat prophetic. Look how blindly we base our view of the world on what we read on websites and TV nowadays, so long as we trust them. Look at how the news and people started thinking another college shooting was going on last week because of a few tactical tweets. 

I still prefer the other games in the order of Twin Snakes -> MGS3 -> MGS4 -> MGS2, but I think that's more down to accessibility than anything else. It's very difficult for me to choose between #2 and #4, the latter getting the prize because it's almost like a 'best hits of MGS' in some ways.

I meant that there was no variety to the MGS2 codecs, as in any given part you were limited to 2 characters you could call. Most of the calls outside of the standard easter egg fare was mostly horrendous Rose and Raiden dialogue. None of your options consisted of characters you could call for trivia or for the fun of conversation, as Colonel/Rose or Otacon tended to gameplay and main storyline centric. MGS4 was even worse in this respect.

If you compare the codec options and conversation topics, MGS2 and 4 are very different when compared to Metal Gear 1, 2, Ghost Babel, Solid, Solid 3, and Portable Ops.

Game looks great. But what's this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2370518/?

David Hayter is credited as voicing David, which was Solid Snake's real name as revealed in MGS1 — and Big Boss, while Keifer continues to be credited as Punished Snake. WHAT IS GOING ON?!

You play as Punished Snake, voiced by Kiefer who is actually a clone of Big Boss (looks like Big Boss, sounds like Jack Bauer). David Hayter plays Solid Snake/Old Snake/David, but also Big Boss and another character named David Hayter who is another clone of Big Boss (sounds like Big Boss, looks like a beardy nerd voice actor guy).

You play as Punished Snake, voiced by Kiefer who is actually a clone of Big Boss (looks like Big Boss, sounds like Jack Bauer). David Hayter plays Solid Snake/Old Snake/David, but also Big Boss and another character named David Hayter who is another clone of Big Boss (sounds like Big Boss, looks like a beardy nerd voice actor guy).

desk_flip_guy_in_hd_by_lemmino-d6021t4.p

It could be, but then I'll be driving down to Kojima Productions with a shotgun.

David Hayter's credit as "David" could also be more of this: 

Man, I'd never noticed how weird that video is before. Despite having played through MGS4 four times I've still not fully seen all those crazy clips. Is there even a way to do so in the game?

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/09/metal-gear-solid-v-day-time-gameplay.html

Daytime gameplay, lots of shooting

My problem with this (much like in the latest splinter cell) if you're playing the game "properly" you shouldn't really get yourself into these all out attack moments. And as your not used to attacking, you never get proficient enough with the 'attacking' controls and end up feeling like a clumsy idiot

Also, is this being played on current gen? It looks a bit bland

I think it's just the awful video compression that seems to be affecting both the last two gameplay videos. The clear HD footage/shots I've seen look astounding, just look at those afro physics! Although it is worth bearing in mind that Kojima Productions are a bit weird about polishing stuff right at the last minute — I remember footage from MGS4 being really wonky in areas compared to the final release.

And yeah, I guess the problem with trying to demo a game like this is that the way I play them would be boring enough to send people into a stupor. I spend crazy amounts of time planning and inching through areas.

Ground Zeroes is really good you guys.

It's still written by Kojima, so it has that crazy town speachifying MGS is (in)famous for (which I love) so fair warning. It also gets really fucking dark, so nonironic trigger warnings. Honestly, MGS's silly anime style doesn't really fit the grim content; musings on love blooming on the battlefield this ain't.

But.

It plays fucking incredibly. Once you grok the CQC (no mean feat with the piss poor manual) and get into the pace it wants you to play at (slowly), it feels amazing. It strikes a balance between making you feel powerful and vulnerable better than any MGS to this point. Assassin's Creed should feel this way.

It looks incredible as well, though my expectations for how games should look on a console have been calibrated by 100 hours of Dark Souls over the last few months so YMMV. IMHO, it makes me wonder why we need new hardware.

$20 is the right amount to pay for this. There's a lot of game but not a lot of narrative. I don't think you'll need to play this for Phantom Pain to make sense.

My roommate rented the PS3 version from Redbox. I will probably play a little of it this afternoon.

It looks pretty nice even on the PS3, thought it's clearly running at a sub-HD resolution. The texture detail is muddy, but the lighting effects are still mostly present and it has a good look to it for an 8-year-old console.

I still find the pricing structure to be absolutely egregious, but it's probably worth a spin if you can find it via Redbox. I'm honestly surprised that Ground Zeroes hasn't been more skewered by the press for being a $30 demo.

It looks incredible as well, though my expectations for how games should look on a console have been calibrated by 100 hours of Dark Souls over the last few months so YMMV. IMHO, it makes me wonder why we need new hardware.

We needed new hardware because the PS3 only had 512MB of RAM. As I mentioned previously, the game is running at sub-720p (probably somewhere around 540p; that usually was the sweet spot for CoD games on PS3) and even then there is plenty of frame-rate stutter during more demanding sequences (pretty much anytime anything explodes and you get a ton of guys on screen).