Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Metal Gear Solid will always have a golden ticket to my heart. I don't care how stupid or incoherent they are. I can't defend it. 1st day purchase no questions asked. 

This stream is so boring. I'm a little annoyed with their apparent obsession with creating realism with the Fox Engine. It got somewhat ugly with MGS4. I prefer the games to look more art directed, not incredibly stylized, but little tweaks here and there. This new Metal Gear is starting to look sterile.

MGS3 definitely looked wonderful, but it was not because full realism was achieved, but more of the color choices and slight exaggeration of the characters. Big Boss looks ugly as shit now. He's got Chuck Norris face. Ugh.

Agreed. It's going to be PURE PSYCHO MANTIS, MON.

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-09-610x344.jpg

I've never played a Metal Gear game before, but that's a really eye-catching trailer.

I prefer the games to look more art directed, not incredibly stylized, but little tweaks here and there.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be infinitely more interested in playing a Metal Gear game that looked like Yoji Shinkawa's artwork.

There's some interesting stuff you can mess with on The Document of MGS2 where you can rotating and zoom in on all environment models and characters. They included some early prototype stuff you can rotate around of an environment they were trying to make with stylized brush strokes and textures on the walls to look more like Shinkawa's art work. Snake was also textured to look more like the drawings. I feel like it looked much better than MGS2 myself, which kind of has the worst art direction of the series so far.

Metal Gear Solid will always have a golden ticket to my heart. I don't care how stupid or incoherent they are. I can't defend it. 1st day purchase no questions asked. 

You and me both (and millions of others, I suspect).  I could defend it, I just don't feel compelled to.

OK, I can't defend ALL of it.  But I love it just the same.

I love the realistic style if only because it foregrounds how completely absurd the supernatural/pseudoscience elements are. MGS5 looks to be continuing the tradition of dry satire, and I'm excited. Plus: FIRE UNICORN.

I think you mean Day 1 Perch. *whack*

That said, here's hoping there's some sort of public ARG related to MGSV. I know Kojima Productions sent out severed Raiden arms for MGR but only to press. The original Phantom Pain trailer and Joakim Mogren hullabaloo seemed like it was building up toward that but then they just said what it was.

Same for me. I'm so stoked.

It was a bit sad watching Mother Base get trashed... I didn't realize how much of a sense of investment I had developed for it in Peace Walker.

I love the realistic style if only because it foregrounds how completely absurd the supernatural/pseudoscience elements are.

This has always been my favorite part of all the MGS games. The "here is stock footage while we explain the history of war and the arms race to you" aspect has such tension with the "here's a vampire and robot ninja and also a billion easter eggs that highlight what a gamey game game this is" and I find the result totally compelling, in the same way that something like Twin Peaks mixes ridiculous melodrama with truly disturbing creepy stuff like Bob. It's why the campier approach of MGS3 wasn't as appealing to me (even if I still loved the hell out of it) as the po-faced bugfuck conspiracy theory stuff of MGS2.

Alas, I'm guess 5 is going to be Sony exclusive like 4 was, so my time with the series has come to an end.

Wot, you have no PS3? Good news, it's out on 360 and PC too!

It's appropriate that a band called Garbage played over that trailer. What the fuck is with that flying fire whale? Also, why are Phantom Snake and Ekans Motnahp riding a horse? Also, why everything.

Same for me. I'm so stoked.

It was a bit sad watching Mother Base get trashed... I didn't realize how much of a sense of investment I had developed for it in Peace Walker.

Seriously, I'm not even done Peace Walker and I had this little twinge when I saw my base burning.

I'm excited to see what kind of crazy shit they're gonna get up to! By the way, that doctor at the end? What a giant asshole! "Yes, yes, I know you'd like to know how long." Yea, excuse him for being in a coma! And a smug prick all the way through.

It's appropriate that a band called Garbage played over that trailer. What the fuck is with that flying fire whale? Also, why are Phantom Snake and Ekans Motnahp riding a horse? Also, why everything.

I must be getting old. My first reaction to your post was "What the hell? Does this dude really not know who Garbage is?" then it occurred to me that they were a staple band almost 20 years ago.

By the way, remember the hilarious fan theory that Joakim Mogren was actually CG?

WpT5Cip.jpg

They were almost half right.

My thoughts exactly. MGS3 in particular won me over so completely I'll eagerly eat up anything else Kojima has to offer. It's all so serious and stupid and self-aware and I love it.

Day 1 perch here too.

So I guess Metal Gear Solid V is actually two games? Ground Zeroes is pre-coma and Phantom Pain is post-coma.

I must be getting old. My first reaction to your post was "What the hell? Does this dude really not know who Garbage is?" then it occurred to me that they were a staple band almost 20 years ago.

I don't think that's an excuse. I've heard of Garbage, and I'm some kind of zygote.

What? He was animatronic? Or it was Kojima wearing a fake head? I don't understand anything.

I love the realistic style if only because it foregrounds how completely absurd the supernatural/pseudoscience elements are. MGS5 looks to be continuing the tradition of dry satire, and I'm excited. Plus: FIRE UNICORN.

The realistic art style also ties in super tightly to a lot of the thematic stuff in mgs2 thinking about it now. I fuckin' love that game.

So I guess Metal Gear Solid V is actually two games? Ground Zeroes is pre-coma and Phantom Pain is post-coma.

I'm hoping this just means it's like MGS2 where it's the tanker and plant chapters and not two different games I have to purchase.