Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

And the ball keeps bouncing...

Soon after that thread was locked (you know the one, it begins with "F"), I was contacted by the user BFrank (someone I don't know and have never talked with) who disagreed with something I'd written in it. I'd happily share our entire discussion, but it involves things that might get people heated, so I've decided not to.   

Anyways, after I responded to his PM the venerable BFrank shut off our discussion with the following message:

BFrank Sent Today, 03:12 PM
You're so blinkered by your hatred of this Anita that you completely misread my (minor, and friendly) point.

And it's made you behave badly. Don't message me again, you're nuts.

And so the heated discussion and childish abuse continues... but in private where people are less accountable.

With this in mind -- is it really better to close heated threads rather than let them run their course? (I don't know the answer, I'm just asking. I can definitely see pros and cons to both.)

Either way, I'm glad someone finally called me out on my blind hatred of Anita.

TP, I understand that you're annoyed, but I don't think posting private communications is the best way to handle it.

Also it comes off a bit like you're "and another thing"-ing an argument that should be over, and I know you're better than that.  

I guess I don't see anything sacred about a "private" message. I'm sure you'd all post an email you'd received here without giving it a second thought -- especially if it was from an absolute stranger.

Also, I've purposely avoided posting anything relating to what's being argued about.

Abuse is abuse, and just because it's done in "private" doesn't mean it's hunky dory. The closing of that particular thread was supposed to end such things, not just send it underground.

I wish I could post what I said that provoked BFrank's response, but I can't without digging up old ground.

I (fortunately) haven't followed 'that' topic, so I have no idea what this is about, but TP, I think at this point it seems like you're attracting this sort of attention, with you behavior (without judging either way whether you're right or wrong). Perhaps you should try to let things go, or become a little more mellow about stuff. When you post things like these and get upset by them, aren't you just circling around in an antagonistic pattern of getting into heated discussions and then being hurt when other people gang up on you?

I (fortunately) haven't followed 'that' topic, so I have no idea what this is about, but TP, I think at this point it seems like you're attracting this sort of attention, with you behavior (without judging either way whether you're right or wrong). Perhaps you should try to let things go, or become a little more mellow about stuff. 

I guess I just don't like getting abuse. It hurts. It's unpleasant. It ruins my day. And for what? Because I simply responded to a PM I got from a total stranger.

When you post things like these and get upset by them, aren't you just circling around in an antagonistic pattern of getting into heated discussions and then being hurt when other people gang up on you?

I'm not sure how to respond to this. Should the community tolerate ganging up on people? Is it the person's fault for being ganged up on? Why aren't those that do the "ganging up" taken to task?

I used to enjoy posting here.

I don't think turning that PM discussion into a forum thread is appropriate.

As for the rest of this: ThunderPeel, you are undeniably the center of the majority of dust-ups on this forum. Maybe it's not every other person here's fault.

Closing this. You can take it to PM if you'd like.