melmer

Banished - The Indie City Simulator

Holy crap! That looks pretty neat. Pretty much just Settlers, but I loved that game so this is right up my alley.

Also, this is the work of one man! Amazing.

Good grief that looks nice. The video hit me straight in the pleasure center and now my soul has a raging boner.

--IGN.com

Looks amazing. It's a city builder that's about actually keeping a civilization alive and functioning, instead of just being about making money. I dig it.

Very interesting! The feeling I get from the video's is that it's very laidback and relaxing, with no external 'threats' save for survival. What I would like is for this game to have as few UI elements and menus as possible. I feels like something you just want to look at and gradually, carefully influence in a tactile sort of way.

This game has a very nice art style. It's not as high-fidelity as, say, Anno games, but there's something about it that really appeals to me.

NEEDS MORE DEPTH OF FIELD THOUGH. U:

Hmm, I don't see anything about it that jumps out at me over other city simulator type games, but I appreciate that it's a one-man job and also the depth that his blog entries go into on things like AI programming. I'm cautiously optimistic, but hoping to get a better idea of the amount of options available to the player.

From the topic name I was hoping this was some city simulator where you build an alternative city that doesn't listen to the man! So basically Portland.

I keep pronouncing the title in the Shakespearean sense: 'banish-ed'. I don't know why.

Augh, please put in a skybox and let me walk around as one of the characters!

I remember when Roller Coaster Tycoon did that. It was the most horrifying thing ever.

It's time for a bump once again. There have been occasional updates, but I think now is the time to remind my fellow thumbs of this game's existence.

Here is the latest post in the developer blog. It includes a link to a PC Gamer interview and a new gameplay demonstration video. According to the interview, the release of this game "will definitely be before the end of the year".

I'm sofa king excited.

Those text entry fields are not making me optimistic for the UI. Was Capitalism also a one-man show, because I am getting strong vibes of that.

The Anno-esque bits are very promising though. I wonder how well it will scale up!

This looks really cool. I don't normally get in to Sim games these days, but I loved the original Settlers/Serf City when I was a kid and this looks like it has a similar vibe.

Very interesting! The feeling I get from the video's is that it's very laidback and relaxing, with no external 'threats' save for survival. What I would like is for this game to have as few UI elements and menus as possible. I feels like something you just want to look at and gradually, carefully influence in a tactile sort of way.

One of his blog posts says that there will be disasters. I hope they'll have minimal effect; it always annoyed me when Sim games destroyed half your work for no good reason.

From the topic name I was hoping this was some city simulator where you build an alternative city that doesn't listen to the man! So basically Portland.

This is what immediately sprang into my head as well

This looks really cool. I don't normally get in to Sim games these days, but I loved the original Settlers/Serf City when I was a kid and this looks like it has a similar vibe.

One of his blog posts says that there will be disasters. I hope they'll have minimal effect; it always annoyed me when Sim games destroyed half your work for no good reason.

Disasters in Tropico 4 are the most annoying thing. I think I'm over the point in my life that I want to hit the Godzilla button just to watch the world burn.

I'm convinced that disasters are to city building games like shooting is to Bioshock Infinite. Gotta get it in there for (perceived?) mass appeal.

Disasters in Tropico 4 are the most annoying thing. I think I'm over the point in my life that I want to hit the Godzilla button just to watch the world burn.

Reading his blog, it sounds like most of them are going to be pretty low key; crop failures, diseases and fires, that sort of thing.

If you're in to game coding, I'd definitely recommend his blog. He has a bunch of interesting posts about the nuts-and-bolts of how he's put the game together.

Tomorrow is the big day, Banished will be released. It's going to be available on Steam in "approximately 21 hours", and I think I'll be picking it up right away. A day one perch, you might call it.