Sign in to follow this  
castorp

Double Fine's Dropchord

So Dropchord (says RPS).

I love very much like you Double Fine! Even though this is maybe probably not really my kind of game I love that you make it. You are the coolest!

Where is this coming from, other then the great place Double Fine seems to be at that is called 'because we can'? 2011's Amnesia Fortnight?

And Leap-what?

So Dropchord (says RPS).

I love very much like you Double Fine! Even though this is maybe probably not really my kind of game I love that you make it. You are the coolest!

Where is this coming from, other then the great place Double Fine seems to be at that is called 'because we can'? 2011's Amnesia Fortnight?

And Leap-what?

It actually started as a prototype from one of our amazing gameplay programmers, Patrick, after DF gave him clearance to use some of his work time to fool around with new game ideas. Then we ended up in contact with the Leap people and they loved it, so we greenlit it as a full project.

I remember seeing that thing agesss ago, very cool piece of kit

Never heard of it. Looks indeed interesting, I mean I never thought about wanting motion sensor stuff to sensor my motions and them Leapeople make lots of bold claims on their prettily designed webpage but they have Double Fine's vote of confidence, so I'm intrigued. And I like how small and unintrusive and un-desk-clutter-y it seems to be. Has anyone here had a chance to try this thing, maybe you Chris?

Double Fine!

Interesting, thanks for the info.

I pre-ordered a Leap thingy last year when they announced it. It sounded exciting and I am still excited about it and cannot wait to get it in May.

However, when Double Fine announced Dropchord I got super excited!

So to sum up: Excited!

This advertisement-video from the Gizmondo-article Mington linked to really makes Leap look like an awesome peripheral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_d6KuiuteIA

But this being, as said, an ad, I'd still be interested in what people who tried it have to say about it (*cough*Double Fine has to have some of those, eh Chris*cough*). Anyway, the way they show it here makes it look like a useful and not horse bag kind of thing, like something with which you can handle a computer in certain aspects better than with a mouse, while being a lot less 'there' than a tablet for example. But as always* with things like this I wonder whether it would really be something I'd use, or that would in general get used in the long run.

Ah yeah, about Dropchord. If this manages to trigger the same area in my brain as Geometry Wars did, that'd be very cool. GW was probably the only game that got me into The Zone, the one that when you get distracted in any way while in it you immediately start to reflect on the impossibility of the stuff you just pulled and get dragged back into your mind and thus fail instantly. I used to cover the part of the screen with the score, because just getting a glimpse of that number used to pierce my precious zone-bubble.

I mean, Dropchord:

*Though I usually don't get excited about stuff like this. And yeah, I am a bit excited, can't you tell?

When I see the Leap Motion, I can feel my arms becoming tired.

It's good exercise, build up those arm muscles. I remember virtual cop on my Saturn, I could barely hold the light gun up for more than 5 minutes, but with time and perseverance you to could have muscles like Peter Andre in his heyday.

And don't get me started on house of the dead on the dreamcast with the rumble pack (which weighed a metric ton) slotted into the back of the light gun.

Don't forget the co-op DLC that will turn you in Peter and David Paul

When I see the Leap Motion, I can feel my arms becoming tired.

I think it might not be much worse than holding a controller. You can rest your elbows on the desk while using this, I think.

I played the demo for this at PAX. It's got the same issues as other free-hand control schemes (Wii, Kinect, etc.) of me slowly drifting out of the "sensing frame" as you play it but the Leap Motion felt very sensitive and responsive (almost too responsive) while I wasn't doing it wrong. It's like Minority Report except without a holographic indicator of where you should be putting your fingers, hence the slow drift as I found my fingers moving out of the correct z-plane where they could be detected. That said, it's pretty fun and it definitely scratches that same Super Hexagon itch.