Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

The Corporation

If you live in the usa or canada, I want you to do two simple things:

1. Find out where this movie is showing closest to your domicile

2. Go watch this movie/documentary with as many people you know, even that weird looking guy from across the street and that die hard republican you always come across when you go shopping at the mall.

3. Discuss, here and IRL

thank you

If you live outside of the USA or canada:

1. Obtain this movie in some way or another (*cough* super-nova *cough*)

2. Go watch this movie/documentary with as many people you know, even that weird looking guy from across the street and that die hard republican you always come across when you go shopping at the mall.

3. Discuss, here and IRL

Thank you

I think The Corporation has come and gone from most theaters around here, as of about a month ago. A decent number of my friends saw it but I didn't... I suspect I know the gist of it though, and as I believe it already there's probably no need to pump me full of more anti-corporate-control-everything propaganda.

Go watch it anyway, you'll be amazed at what you'll hear. maybe shocked it a better word. you shall be shocked.

Okay maybe so. I'm assuming its all about how companies with obscure names like "Cal Am Ag" or something that you've never heard of, or proctor and gamble who renamed themselves to some crazy more sneaky name, in fact somehow own 150% of the worlds food supply as well as the entire commercial production chain from raw materials to the stores and employees who sell you things, and buy off all govrenments and how more or less any crazy American law that sounds shady but is ignored by the media was lobbied for and pushed through by one of these secret behemoths? Also stuff about the WTO is covered? ¬ ¬ I just made all that up except the WTO but I went through a time where I was in airports and on airplanes a lot and liberal / anti-corporate propaganda books, especially the slightly more shocking and/or comedic ones make good airplane reads.

I don't claim to know any of the actual facts in The Corporation, but all the details will probably end up leaving my brain anyway.

Anyway maybe I'll see it.

I've seen that movie playing in Berkeley but I can't imagine I'll really get a chance to see it (I didn't even know what it was until now). Jake, if you for some reason feel the need to re-absorb all the wacky hijinks of those good old corporations, let me know (I'm not in a huge rush though).

I haven't heard of it until now, Ysbreker. I assume it depicts somewhat what Jake said. Well, onto a healthy dose of paranoia and weltschmertz then! :)

the three part documentary I saw, deals more with 'what is a corporation' they even pychoanalize the corporations. It's got your 'standard' corporation scams the public and stuff like that, but it also lets the CEO's of those company speak their concerns. that's what makes this documentary a must see. The story of a wallstreet broker who tells you that they cheered on the war in Iraq, and where sad that the war didn't last long enough... Stuff like that. Go watch it ;)

European here. I suppose noone knows wether or not they show it in Sweden?

Speaking of nothing, communism doesn't work, beacuse the leaders will get corrupted, and capitalism doesn't work, beacuse there those with money are the "leaders" who gets corrupted. Humans cannot create the perfect society, simply beacuse they're humans!

"Democracy isn't good, but it's the best thing we have right now."

Said by that british world war two guy, I think.

So true.

I think it's always pretty lame when people say "stop trying to make it work, no system is perfect". I agree with the latter part, but it's clearly possible to make things suck less and it's not naive to believe so. Just compare the democracies in Holland, the USA, Italy and umm, the Republic of Congo. Quite a few differences there.

True, but we can never completely force away corruption. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best!

What I guess I'm trying to say is that there's a difference beetwen democracy and democracy.