tegan

Transistor

I don't know, it's a big ass sword, swords are heavy and neither singers nor linguists need a lot of arm strength, so it makes sense that Red wouldn't be able to carry the Transistor. I like the choice: it emphasizes that while Red is cool and badass, this is not something she was ever prepared for or perfectly suited to.

I think you're right!  It was a first impression reading of it, mixed with the fact that I had been hoping I'd be playing as a "strong" female lead, and that first impression (can't carry sword, is told what to do by gruff-sounding man) left me a bit bummed.

Played more last night and it's clear that your reading is right (can't read Codicier's thoughts until I'm finished (in a few weeks? gulp)).

Hmm, so one boss in and, while the art, voice acting, and story are all top notch, the actual combat game play isn't grabbing me. Hopefully I'll grow to like it more as I go on.

I'm in a similar position. I have 6 or 7 of the functions unlocked, and I can see opportunity for a lot of neat interactions with them, but right now I'm not actually feeling like theres a lot of depth to the potential combinations and interactions of these. It's early though, and I'm sure I'll be seeing this game through regardless.

I'm in a similar position. I have 6 or 7 of the functions unlocked, and I can see opportunity for a lot of neat interactions with them, but right now I'm not actually feeling like theres a lot of depth to the potential combinations and interactions of these. It's early though, and I'm sure I'll be seeing this game through regardless.

Have you played many of the challenge rooms in the Back Door area? I was feeling similar to you until I ran through a few of the speed and performance tests. The speed tests particularly only give you one or two functions at a time, and at first, I was pretty frustrated since they were often things I hadn't been using much. After running through a few tests, I started to better understand the uses of some of the functions I had been ignoring in favor of some of the more straightforward abilities. Also, the combinations they give you for speed tests can be good for suggesting combos you might not have tried otherwise.

I watched the start of the GB Transistor video and I learned a few things about combat that I didn't know that I'm hoping will make things smoother for me tonight.

1) I had no idea that mixing up moves gives you a combo damage bonus, while using one move several times does not. I was using the basic cheap starter attack repeatedly when I couldn't line up a multiple hit with any of my other moves. Since those multi-hit attacks cost more, I thought I was saving time to do more attacks. The sword kept being sarcastic with me saying, "Oh, so I guess we're trying out brute force today" or "That's one way to do it," without actually telling me what to do to fix it. Very frustrating.

2) I noticed they were running around doing moves in real time a lot, where I have been literaly going into Turn() the moment it becomes available. I tried attaching the dash to one of my attacks so I could use it during recharge, but I usually find myself running for my life and not really getting to use it.

3) Actually using Dash as a primary power would probably be good. I tried a couple of times, but I was using it during Turn() as opposed to just running around with it in real time. It seems next to useless with time stopped since you can just run that far, but I imagine it will be indispensible against faster enemies during real time.

So, now the embarassing question, am I the only person who was about 1/4 of a bar from completely dying (all functions corrupted) during the first boss fight on the stage?

Edit: When do you open up the challenge rooms? It feels like having that open to me from the start would have make things a lot easier.

I watched the start of the GB Transistor video and I learned a few things about combat that I didn't know that I'm hoping will make things smoother for me tonight.

1) I had no idea that mixing up moves gives you a combo damage bonus, while using one move several times does not. I was using the basic cheap starter attack repeatedly when I couldn't line up a multiple hit with any of my other moves. Since those multi-hit attacks cost more, I thought I was saving time to do more attacks. The sword kept being sarcastic with me saying, "Oh, so I guess we're trying out brute force today" or "That's one way to do it," without actually telling me what to do to fix it. Very frustrating.

2) I noticed they were running around doing moves in real time a lot, where I have been literaly going into Turn() the moment it becomes available. I tried attaching the dash to one of my attacks so I could use it during recharge, but I usually find myself running for my life and not really getting to use it.

3) Actually using Dash as a primary power would probably be good. I tried a couple of times, but I was using it during Turn() as opposed to just running around with it in real time. It seems next to useless with time stopped since you can just run that far, but I imagine it will be indispensible against faster enemies during real time.

So, now the embarassing question, am I the only person who was about 1/4 of a bar from completely dying (all functions corrupted) during the first boss fight on the stage?

Edit: When do you open up the challenge rooms? It feels like having that open to me from the start would have make things a lot easier.

I nearly died completely on the first boss as well. As for Jaunt (the Dash ability) I can attest to its usefulness outside of Turn. I always have it equipped when I can. I use it in Turn sometimes as well, since I think it often uses less time than just walking.

I didn't know about that combo thing though, that's awesome. I had noticed combos sometimes but didn't know what triggered them.

Just use the dah vanilla, you can use it when recharging. I'm finding it tough too. There is a lot to read on the abilities pages. I'm not too bad there as i'm used to that sort of shite, but for someone who is more used to just hitting things there is a whole lot going on.

I've been doing Turn(), run/dash behind, combo start (A), then B to get combo + backstab bonus. pewpew.

I Agree almost consider jaunt mandatory. My preferred upgrade for it is the area of effect, giving you a explosion which is great for breaking the shields on both enemies and on the little respawn things & not a bad opener on bigger guys who you want to get a nice long combo on.

Feels like there's a lot of learning to regarding the different kinds of attacks.  My current strat involves hiding behind obstacles, pausing, using the dash to get in close, then randomly rotating between all of my other moves until I run out of "turns".  Finally started to notice the tiny type that literally says "overkill" when I'd hit someone too hard.  Seems like they give a ton of visual cues, it's just gonna take some time to parse it all out.

Glad to hear there are practice spaces!  It'll be nice to be able to get that stuff internalized.

Feels like there's a lot of learning to regarding the different kinds of attacks.  My current strat involves hiding behind obstacles, pausing, using the dash to get in close, then randomly rotating between all of my other moves until I run out of "turns".  Finally started to notice the tiny type that literally says "overkill" when I'd hit someone too hard.  Seems like they give a ton of visual cues, it's just gonna take some time to parse it all out.

Glad to hear there are practice spaces!  It'll be nice to be able to get that stuff internalized.

A nice touch is that if you go way overboard on overkill, the text starts to change. I got all the way up to "You're really mean" once.

Dash into them and then start your Turn(), that way you don't waste the start of it moving.

I just tried out Jaunt(Get())* and it seems really great. It makes a well from where you Jaunted that sucks enemies towards it. I think it would make kiting a lot easier.

*I don't know if this is the right way to write functions, but it's how I'm doing it.

after the first boss.  as you work through the levels there will be back doors into an aside zone where you can do trials, practice, or just let the playlist (tracks unlocked by completing trials)

on the comment of real time use the dash is invaluable at collecting the little EVE guys that want to respawn (cells? look like a wallE character).  

as more functions are available you can add perks to the dash so it does damage, less Turn time, etc.  I'm rounding 2.5hrs and the intricacies of power ups & spell combos is getting really exciting.

I also like the limiters (essentially shrines from bastion), adds some interest to the engagements...but so far the XP bonus has been marginal

Have you all been reading the additional details for different characters, which unlock in the menu as you apply functions in new ways? I've only played for an hour so I'm not sure if those will go any way toward making the story clearer, but I like that experimenting with different weapon combinations is encouraged by the systems (like losing a function when you die) but also by snippets o' lore.

Dota is about mastering a scaling but ultimately static set of abilities. I feel like there is a lot more Diablo 3 DNA in the ability systems, both in the customization and in how they play, which is not a bad thing.

I'm only an hour in and the systems are giving me a pleasant brain tickle, but so far the encounters haven't had much depth. Every fight feels rather samey so far. I would actually love a super granular fight summary, with letter grades and challenges, as I haven't felt the need to explore the skills much. Since you either just win all the fights or die, leaning on the same old same old seems perfectly effective.

I love the Turn() system, but I feel like I can't achieve the level of fidelity in my attacks that the system seems to allow (not without a lot of undoing anyways). I'm playing with a controller. Is it different with mouse and keyboard?

Gah! I feel like I'm being so negative...

I'm going to finish Transistor, if only because it's gorgeous and the music is cool and I love the themes and I'm actually getting invested in the story.

Also, dragging giant swords so that sparks fly off of them is cool. If I had a big green sword, I'd drag it around like that too.

On the controller you can hold the attack button to aim during turn, it really helps, but the tooptip only popped up when i was doing one of the challenges.

I'm feeling a little bit better about the combat now. Running around outside of Turn() and using the dash move has improved my mobility and relieved the stop/start feeling I had out of the game. Also, opening up a quick attack so I don't have to wait for a couple of seconds every time I want to swing the sword.

The bio unlock system is an elegant way of encouraging players to constantly change up their build without any balance implications. Very clever.

Playing with a mouse and keyboard (after switching the attack and move inputs to LMB and RMB respectively) has eliminated the fuzzy disconnection I was feeling with the mechanics. 

I've also discovered that using the functions in different slots (upgrades / passives) unlocks more of the story, giving me that kick I needed to go beyond my comfort zone with the attacks. Dark Souls has trained me to be excited about lore attached to items :D

edit: what Merus said :)

Regarding lmb and rmb movement -

Day 1 wasd didn't move red, then after the day 1 or 2 update seems to be default on. That helped me feel less Diablo about the action.

I also discovered by holding TAB a spot light isolates on red and she does some humming, I hope that this evolves into a different action with progression.

Additionally regarding a boss fight -

did anyone else get their ass handed over by the spine? I had 3 limiters on, but still damage scale was way higher than other encounters to that point

Day 1 wasd didn't move red, then after the day 1 or 2 update seems to be default on. That helped me feel less Diablo about the action.

Interesting. Playing it like Diablo / Baulder's Gate is what fixed the feel of it for me. 

I also discovered by holding TAB a spot light isolates on red and she does some humming, I hope that this evolves into a different action with progression.

Additionally regarding a boss fight -

did anyone else get their ass handed over by the spine? I had 3 limiters on, but still damage scale was way higher than other encounters to that point

Responding to that spoiler:

This is the first fight that really teaches you to use part of your turn to avoid damage. If you're stuck, I can be more specific about my strategy

So, I beat the game. Art remains awesome, story remains mysterious. At this point I'm wondering if there are multiple endings and I accidentally made a choice at the end, or if that's how it finishes, or if new game + has a different ending. I'm not sure if I liked the mechanics enough to play through again to find out.

Recursion does seem to be a strong intention of Supergiant.. you either start it or you quit the game. The presentation of the thing was great, as expected, but I don't feel I either got very good at the combat or really understood what was going on.

i got really good at the combat (debuffs are very important) but I rarely felt satisfied from the combat.