tegan

Transistor

This game seems pretty sweet. Combat is taking me a while to get used to, but the combinations of different skills you can use seem really interesting. I like how they incentivize you to switch things up to get story tidbits. 

In a related stupid note, does anyone know how to get the sountrack off of Steam? I thought I preordered it with one, but I ain't seeing any gad-blang options to download it. 

Wait, I found it. Had to navigate to the DLC page to see the location: Steam\steamapps\common\Transistor\Soundtrack

Hmm, to buy the "with soundtrack version" or try and hold out for a signed disk at PAX.

Edit: I guess there's no price break for buying both at the same time, so I might as well wait.

It's as beautiful and polished graphically as expected, however I am getting some serious and frequent stuttering and the occasional full on freeze. Idk if others are having the same issues on PC or not.

The RPS review reported performance issues, bugs, crashing, etc.

Hmm, to buy the "with soundtrack version" or try and hold out for a signed disk at PAX.

Edit: I guess there's no price break for buying both at the same time, so I might as well wait.

I bought the soundtrack version, and am glad to support the Supergiant people, but it IS on Spotify right now. : - (

It's as beautiful and polished graphically as expected, however I am getting some serious and frequent stuttering and the occasional full on freeze. Idk if others are having the same issues on PC or not.

I got the same on PC. When I closed the game for the first time, a fairly sizable patch downloaded. Not sure if that fixed anything.

I'm pretty much here to parrot Codicier. This game is just gorgeous. I mean it is really, really beautiful. I love the little cutaways and cut scenes. They're just oozing with style and confidence. However, I'm getting some pretty bad stutters which are breaking the flow of combat a bit too often. 

I'm pretty much here to parrot Codicier. This game is just gorgeous. I mean it is really, really beautiful. I love the little cutaways and cut scenes. They're just oozing with style and confidence. However, I'm getting some pretty bad stutters which are breaking the flow of combat a bit too often. 

Yeah, my thoughts are essentially the same. I'm really liking the game as a whole so far, but the stuttering has been a bit annoying. Now, I just had a crash to desktop at the very end of a relatively tough challenge level, so that is sort of not cool.

I like what I've seen of Transistor in terms of the art style and general vibe, but I'm not all that good at fiddly combat games. I'm terrible at any sort of combat that involves more than two buttons or combos :). Will I be able to enjoy this or should I give it a pass?

For the "combos" it only happens during the "stop time" period.

I'm loving the game, but I'm still figuring out the balance between doing combos and running away while I recharge. When running away the slow movement speed is a tiny hassle.

Overall, the first hour is fantastic.

I like what I've seen of Transistor in terms of the art style and general vibe, but I'm not all that good at fiddly combat games. I'm terrible at any sort of combat that involves more than two buttons or combos :). Will I be able to enjoy this or should I give it a pass?

It's more a turn based strategy game than real time action combo game. You should be fine for the most part. 

I didn't have any problems with the PC version, FWIW. Both of my computers ran it without issue, and one of them isn't a particularly powerful machine.

Sat down to play a bunch of this with my wife last night.  Her initial comment was:  why can't she just carry the sword.  Not a knock against the game, but just an artistic choice that didn't sit well with both of us.

Love that they drop you in.  No menus or anything.  Not even a cutscene!  Just:  here's your character in a space, move her around.  She's already got a weapon.  I, too, found her movement speed kind of sluggish, but I'll get used to it.  The immediate battles felt fine to jump into, but I can imagine for someone not versed in the language of these kinds of games that there'd be a lot of clumsy fumbling to start.  There's no context for why these things are bad, if they're bad, etc.  I liked the mystery of it, though.  Made me feel like I'm apart from the characters.  Curious to see how they both unfold and if they open up to the player.

The battle system seems fun!  Sadly that sort of tactical arena-combat type didn't make for very compelling spectating, so we only played for 20 minutes before turning it off.  I'll be playing this one solo!

I saw on twitter later that you have to manually enable the sword's voice to play through the ps4 controller.  Odd that that wouldn't be automatically selected, since it's such a neat-o feature kind of thing.

Overall, psyched to get back to it!

Yesterday, I started thinking about the game as a product of a team that is really into Dota. I haven't played that much of the game (a couple hours), or even that much Dota, but it seems relevant that positioning is so important into Transistor, since that is such as big deal in Dota. That and the four skill thing strike me as Dota-esque. In part I think it struck me because I remember Greg Kasavin mentioning that Dota shaped the game in a way on some podcast or another. 

Also, this game's soundtrack has become my go-to working music, so hooray for that.

I beginning to think the stuttering/freezes may be audio related. Wondering if any of the other people having issues are running a sound card?

Yesterday, I started thinking about the game as a product of a team that is really into Dota. I haven't played that much of the game (a couple hours), or even that much Dota, but it seems relevant that positioning is so important into Transistor, since that is such as big deal in Dota. That and the four skill thing strike me as Dota-esque. In part I think it struck me because I remember Greg Kasavin mentioning that Dota shaped the game in a way on some podcast or another. 

Also, this game's soundtrack has become my go-to working music, so hooray for that.

You could equally say its very Diablo 3-esque.  and yup soundtrack is very good so far

I believe that love-for-Dota may have something to do with it, but really a lot of that's just what a good action RPG should do, anyway.

Hmm, so one boss in and, while the art, voice acting, and story are all top notch, the actual combat game play isn't grabbing me. Hopefully I'll grow to like it more as I go on.

i didnt like it last night, but today i got a few more moves & am enjoying much more.  also the "practice" zone cleared up some of the question marks for some of the functions in my mind

also i accidentally figured out that in "turn" you can rt-click drag to "aim" / get a line on the action's vector & range...this really helped me aim some of the penetrating shots & less likely to get swarmed by groups

I believe that love-for-Dota may have something to do with it, but really a lot of that's just what a good action RPG should do, anyway.

True. I just had that moment of, "hey, maybe this is them doing that thing I heard them say they'd do on a podcast that one time." I guess I just meant that when I plan out a turn really well and execute a series of abilities that work together really well, I feel like I'm doing the thing I'm totally incapable of doing in Dota. 

In other news, I think I'm putting the game aside for a while. My system configuration must be the worst case scenario, because I'm getting a crash to desktop about every 20 minutes. I love playing it, but that's pretty not cool.

Sat down to play a bunch of this with my wife last night.  Her initial comment was:  why can't she just carry the sword.  Not a knock against the game, but just an artistic choice that didn't sit well with both of us.

I don't know, it's a big ass sword, swords are heavy and neither singers nor linguists need a lot of arm strength, so it makes sense that Red wouldn't be able to carry the Transistor. I like the choice: it emphasizes that while Red is cool and badass, this is not something she was ever prepared for or perfectly suited to.

I'm fresh from finishing so my opinions may change with more consideration but... (there are no direct spoilers here im just putting it under because of what can be implied)

One of the readings I'm considering of Transistor is that it's a game coming to terms with the death of a loved one.

If you think about it Red is quite literally carrying the weight of her dead lover around with her. So the weight of the sword comes from the significance of who it embodies not any physical characteristic.