melmer

Saints Row 4

I scored this from Green Man Gaming for $40, so yay. Hopefully it runs all right on my computer.

Apparently the 360 version suffers terrible framerate drops, so if you're able to run SR3 fairly well, you might be better off on PC anyway.

I agree. Earth defense force for example is all the better when you completely cripple the frame rate by nuking 30 giant ants and 10 sky scrapers along with them.

True, but it might hamper certain activities requiring speed and precision, such as the Presidential collecting of orbs.

Apparently the 360 version suffers terrible framerate drops, so if you're able to run SR3 fairly well, you might be better off on PC anyway.

I played SR3 on Xbox so I guess I won't know until tomorrow. My video card is great but my processor just barely meets their minimum specs.

Video chugs a bit when there's a lot of the glowing red vehicles on screen, but it seems to otherwise run ok. It handles it by slowing down the game rather than dropping frames, so even though it doesn't look the best it doesn't get me killed at least.

Runs better than 3 did on the same machine for me. Also, holy shit this is fun. They took Saint's Row, added the traversal from Prototype (the only thing that made Prototype really stand out) and the collection from Crackdown. I am SO in.

So far the super power stuff hasn't really done it for me. We'll see how it goes as I get deeper in.

Traversal is so much fun. I don't think I've ever had as good a time just getting around a world before. Just Cause 2 and Prototype were both close, but damn. I will forgive a lot if a game gives me good traversal, but SR4 doesn't even really have much to forgive on top of that. I've found that the ability to play the radio stations outside of cars (because you're in a computer anyway, so why not just play them in your head?) has made the traversal even better. I always start unintentionally timing my big leaps and glides to perfect moments in the music. So good.

Jesus this game.  I mean, I liked 3.  But the super powers make this a lot more fun.  The opening stuff was a lot more fun I think too, Felt like the humor was a lot more focused even though it's still completely ridiculous.

It's a slightly rough start but the game just takes off on a rocket the second you get those first superpowers. I am giddy with how good this game is. They even managed to finally make Insurance Fraud fun.

Trying to be pretty vague here, but there's a conversation between Keith David and another character where they mention Julius. I didn't realize until just now that Keith David voiced a character named Julius in Saint's Row 1 and 2. Anyone know what the conversation was, I turned it out at the time because I didn't know who they were talking about.

They were saying that SR2 SPOILER FOR THE SENSITIVE

Julius sold the player character out in SR2 and that Kinzie initially didn't trust Keith because he sounds so much like Julius.

Just a nod to the previous games. Nothing major. As someone who has been with the series since day one though, I'm appreciating these nods.

This a pretty good gaem you guys. I like jumping to the glowy bits so I can jump faster/higher to get to other glowy bits.

I received my copy in the mail today, so I thought: hurray, now I can play it.

But then Steam greeted me with

xUDixvH.png

So wait.. when is it released!? Oh, 1 minute after midnight. WTF are games release on Friday in Europe!?

Also, why won't Steam install the game from the DVD but does allow me to pre-load it via the internet? It's not like the DVD content contains everything to play the game. Now I have to download 7.3GiB of data even though I have the same 7.3GiB of data on this shiny coaster.

Digital games are released on Friday in Europe because that's when retailers recieve their game stock. If you were running a store selling computer games (if there's even any of those places left) you'd be annoyed if Steam released everything a couple of days before you recieved it. That's the same reason that games are released on Tuesday in the US. Frankly, I'd rather games were released on Fridays globally, what's the point of getting a game on Tuesday when you can't stay up late and play it?

I'm quite sure retailers receive their stock days before launch (usually with a large label on the boxes saying stuff like "don't sell until X"), warehouses usually also have labels on release goods saying "don't ship until X", where X is a couple of days before release date.

But that doesn't change the question, why are games released on Friday?

Just fired it up this evening, and my word its just plain glorious.

It got a honest to goodness lol while I was still on the character creation screen, and by end of the intro I'd started cackling like a hyena.

This a pretty good gaem you guys. I like jumping to the glowy bits so I can jump faster/higher to get to other glowy bits.

It's addictive isn't it? Think I finally get what people loved about Crackdown.

The comedy bits are well worth the price of admission and I like the game overall, but I'm not finding myself as enthused about the gameplay as some others are. I'm not hating it or anything, but it starts to feel like a chore fairly quickly. Moving around the city just doesn't feel that smooth or fun. I think I'm just going to do the loyalty quests and storyline quests and skip the rest of the side stuff they want you to do.

I absolutely love it.

Iplayed the first 30 minutes with a huge grin on my face. The same kind of grin the main character had on his/her face

during the 50s sequence while eating pancakes.

So I've been playing Saints Row 4 lately.

This is my first time playing a Saints Row game, so there's a lot of references to other characters and past events and stuff that are just completely whooshing over my head.

But, that said... I love this game. I absolutely love it. There's no point in ever really driving a vehicle once you get the running and jumping powers, but that's fine with me. It just feels good to run around at the speed of sound, music blaring, searching for glowing clusters to increase my running and jumping (and other powers).

I watched my roommate finish the storyline today, and I have to say, the ending just looked like grand old ridiculous fun. I will not say any more about though, to avoid spoilers.

All that said... it feels small to me. In, what, 3 days? My roommate has gotten around 85% completion. I just feel like, with maybe a week of dedication, you could 100% the entire game.Maybe I'm just greedy for content, but I feel like a brand new open-world styled game like that should have more to it.

All that said... it feels small to me. In, what, 3 days? My roommate has gotten around 85% completion. I just feel like, with maybe a week of dedication, you could 100% the entire game.Maybe I'm just greedy for content, but I feel like a brand new open-world styled game like that should have more to it.

Yeah, SR3 was the same way. I did almost everything in about 30 hours, and that included a fair bit of goofing around with whatever.