darthbator

Why right?

This conversation is really frustrating to read without being able to watch the video in the OP. Can someone throw up a mirror for us Canadians?

What stuff, earlier than Super Mario Bros., has this convention? Is it possible that it was an initial design convention for Nintendo then a lot of other studios mimicked it?

Earlier stuff that didn't have scrolling tended to have player characters wind back and forth (Bruce Lee, Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg), though

is an early example of a non-scrolling game that advances left to right. Perhaps tech that enabled scrolling, coupled with a major publisher known for a very centralised design approach, turned precedent into a convention?

Edit: wikipedia to the rescue, kinda. Apparently Jump Bug was the first side scrolling platform game. Maybe it started with arcade developers reusing code, and became a convention from there?

Games that have you going strictly from left to right or bottom to top make me feel like it's a progression based game (always moving forward) where games that make you go all different directions feel like exploritory games (gotta check every little crevasse.) As I get older, I've found my preference shifting from the former toward the latter.