Tanukitsune

Gilbert leaves Double Fine, which makes me grumpy...

I really don't understand this picture. I really really don't,

It looks like it's referencing Ned Kelly, a notorious Australian highwayman best known for trying to survive a police shootout by making some makeshift body armour and helmet out of a drum. It was not successful enough.

Sure. Let's say "wealth" or "spoils" then, rather than money specifically.

The shares would most likely not be liquid, as you don't want people cashing in tens of millions of dollars in shares in one go for obvious reasons. Mark Zuckerberg is considered a "billionaire" for example, thanks to the shares he has in Facebook, but he doesn't actually have anything close to that in his bank account.

The shares would most likely not be liquid, as you don't want people cashing in tens of millions of dollars in shares in one go for obvious reasons. Mark Zuckerberg is considered a "billionaire" for example, thanks to the shares he has in Facebook, but he doesn't actually have anything close to that in his bank account.

Okay, great. I'm aware of how stock sales work. I have no idea why you're explaining this, but let's just assume Ron Gilbert has some money somewhere.

Okay, great. I'm aware of how stock sales work. I have no idea why you're explaining this, but let's just assume Ron Gilbert has some money somewhere.

Er, because you claimed that Ron made millions from the sale of Humungous, and insinuated that Shelley Day had lost $38m in six years. You also asked me specifically where $76m could have gone. Remember? (Quote: "The money from the sale had to go somewhere, and where else would it have gone besides to those who owned the company?") You don't need to act like a dick about it.

Er, because you claimed that Ron made millions from the sale of Humungous, and insinuated that Shelley Day had lost $38m in six years. You also asked me specifically where $76m could have gone. Remember? (Quote: "The money from the sale had to go somewhere, and where else would it have gone besides to those who owned the company?") You don't need to act like a dick about it.

By "money" I didn't mean to suggest they were each handed a check for $38m. If that's how you interpreted my post, you were reading into it. But they were obviously paid. Regardless of how much money--either as cash or stock--each of them made it is entirely possible for one person to have managed that wealth significantly better than the other, especially if the split wasn't even.

By "money" I didn't mean to suggest they were each handed a check for $38m. If that's how you interpreted my post, you were reading into it. But they were obviously paid. Regardless of how much money--either as cash or stock--each of them made it is entirely possible for one person to have managed that wealth significantly better than the other, especially if the split wasn't even.

Ok, we're getting side-lined here. My point was simply that it's highly unlikely they got $76m in money from the sale of HE. It was much more likely that a large part of the sale was given to them in shares (which they would not have been able to sell). But that doesn't mean they didn't get some money from the sale, of course -- possibly even millions. I just don't know how much that would last him.

Maybe he's doing just fine, and he likes being a nomadic developer, as you suggest.

I'd personally trust your impressions from working with the man, than what was printed about him in the press, though.

Ok, we're getting side-lined here. My point was simply that it's highly unlikely they got $76m in money from the sale of HE. It was much more likely that a large part of the sale was given to them in shares (which they would not have been able to sell). 

Bottom line: I'd personally trust your impressions from working with the man, than what was printed about him in the press. (Things to look out for: Did he arrive to work in a Lamborghini each day?)

Yes, I think you're right, and I never meant to imply otherwise. I was including any cash, stocks, (or assets I guess) as "payment."

Just say Ron used to eat caviar for lunch everyday and would spend half his time smoking Cuban cigars which he lit with burning $50 bills. So I just assumed he was well off.

I guess Ron doesn't talk about his personal life in public -- but he's had such an interesting life, I wish he would!

Also, I hope he's happy. He does seem pretty grumpy/sad whenever he's been filmed.

It looks like it's referencing Ned Kelly, a notorious Australian highwayman best known for trying to survive a police shootout by making some makeshift body armour and helmet out of a drum. It was not successful enough.

Ah I was thinking "Ned" was supposed to  funny because it was an anagram of "end," but it seems like it's just a doofy poster with an extra space.