melmer

Oculus rift

Definitely wait for CV1. DK2 is fun, but there's lots of small things that make it sub-optimal. It's fine if you need the hardware to work on development stuff, but there's so many little things that need to improve to make it less of a hassle. To name a few of the bigger issues: It's just too heavy to be comfortable, the lack of 360 degree tracking is rather annoying and there are only a handful of worthwhile demos and apps, while the rest is just complete garbage.

Thanks for the advice. I've played ED with DK1, HD prototype and DK2 and they have all been great but as you say there are a lot of drawbacks with the dev kit. Plus I'm moving countries again at the end of May, and Sensible Wookie wouldn't buy until after then. Impulsive, Tempted Wookie needs to quiet down :P

I hope someone comes up with an accessory for the Oculus Rift that is a bathtub shaped pod that you can lay down in and be submersed in liquefied dead people which are also being fed to you intravenously. If movies have taught me anything, it is that that makes for a much more immersive virtual reality experience.

One day I'm going to wax nostalgic about watching these VR videos with my phone an inch from my face.

One day I'm going to wax nostalgic about watching these VR videos with my phone an inch from my face.

Your grandchildren giggle with amusement after you finish recounting the story of how you burnt out your retinas. How absurd that you would strap something to your head to jack in, they thought shortly before logging in themselves. With irises distorted into apple logos the children lie placid on the floor as clouds of sulphuric acid pass by the window. You sit there silently in darkness while they can see only light.

For reasons unknown, I decided to order cheap lenses to build my own Google Cardboard VR (they don't sell the kit here in Brazil).

Is there any good use for it besides the demos on play store?

I like Orbulus, it lets you do a 3D tour of some famous places around the world. VR Cinema is also okay for watching videos on your phone.

In other words, Cardboard isn't really good for any practical or gaming uses, just for playing around like a toy. I paid something like $15 for the kit and I think I got a few hours of enjoyment out of mine, so I'm not too bothered by it. Every once in a while I'll watch a video via Cardboard if I'm just laying in bed under my electric blanket.

Yeah, I think I'll use it for some movies then, besides the demos. Will be interesting to see if I'll want a oculus rift or not - I know the rift it's so much better than the cardboard, but I don't have any idea of what a VR thingy actually is, it will be nice to have a taste spending so little.

The minutes I spent playing Elite: Dangerous with the DK2 were amazing. The feeling of presence was super-powerful, especially when undocking from a landing bay, looking up and seeing the huge interior of the space station above me. It's almost impossible to use hotkeys with the thing on (a problem AR would solve elegantly) and trying to read interface text is crazy. It is readable, but only if stare intently and move your eyes to let the text pass over the Rift's coarse pixel array. I've read 1440p for the CV1, which sounds a little low to me, based on the difference from DK1 (800p) to DK2 (1080p). I guess you'd want to do a lot of bespoke UI design anyway, so I guess enlarging some fonts is not the hardest thing in the world.

I was just thinking about how cool it would be to watch stage plays (you know, like in a theatre) in virtual reality and then I realized that there is no way to use search-terms to find it. "Play" is used in reference with games, and "theatre" is an overused metaphor for media in general. This linguistic confusion could kill the chances of it happening!