melmer

Oculus rift

Why is whats-her-face there from Countdown, ack, she made that video awkward to watch.

That "this is so great I want to keep it!" move was straight out of a toothpaste commercial. I was hoping you meant Susie Dent ):

EDIT: as someone pointed out in her comments, if her flat doesn't have any walls that are 175 inches, she's not getting paid enough for this shit.

Maybe she lives in a fractal flat?

I do enjoy how Carmack comes out and goes, 'fuck you all, I'm dropping three minutes of mobile phone OS architecture on your arses'.

I do enjoy how Carmack comes out and goes, 'fuck you all, I'm dropping three minutes of mobile phone OS architecture on your arses'.

It was a perfect antidote to the plastic sheen of the PR scripts. I was about to close the tab until he came on.

I hope this just stops rendering the character when you try to sneak an upskirt, like that one Hatsune Miku game.

Wait, no, actually, I hope that if you try to sneak an upskirt it triggers a Bink video of a screaming face.

I have to admit...imagining that immediately triggering a Bink screaming video face made me laugh way more than I should have.  Tbh...the screaming face thing for some reason always strikes me as hilarious!

I just found out that the free version of Unity does not currently have Oculus support. Hopefully that will change, I am not excited about having to learn how to use Unreal. 

So, all this time I've been thinking I'd probably need to get some contact lenses or smaller glasses, as I doubt a VR headset would fit over my Joe 90 specs.

I've just realised, I'm long sighted, I shouldn't have a problem looking at a screen 2 inches from my eye balls!

I just watched that john carmack video without my glasses on and my phone really close to my face as a test :) I'm not a hundred percent sure it'll be crystal clear but I won't know for definite until I jack in for real

I've just realised, I'm long sighted, I shouldn't have a problem looking at a screen 2 inches from my eye balls!

Wait, long sightedness means you can see things fine in the distance, right? If that's the case you'll be a-ok without glasses. Probably! It has to do with the fact that, when wearing the rift, your eyes focus at infinity.

Oooops, I'm nearsighted. I always get confused between those two, evidentially.

I can't see far away shit very well. That's how I describe it when I go to the opticians.

You're fucked! 

But just be careful when wearing glasses inside of the Rift. The lenses scratch quite easily. Contacts would probably be better.

My own personal Oculus update: It's nice to have received one so early... But the judder persists in 95% of all applications, rendering it unusable. SIGH. Can't even use it to test my own stuff.

Adding the Rift to Unity as a target build platform is really sweet! Will solve a lot of issues, I think. With that, finally Rift support for the free version of Unity 5!

Clyde, it's a prototype not a dev kit by the way.

Adding the Rift to Unity as a target build platform is really sweet! Will solve a lot of issues, I think. With that, finally Rift support for the free version of Unity 5!

Clyde, it's a prototype not a dev kit by the way.

Yeah, I am very happy about the Unity announcement. I can't wait to make useless non-commercial doodles for it. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to. 

I don't understand the difference between a prototype and a development-kit. 

Well, a Dev kit is for developers to buy and develop with. This is a half a step removed from the consumer version. I reckon they won't sell this to developers.

And here's a video of John Carmack talking:

My own personal Oculus update: It's nice to have received one so early... But the judder persists in 95% of all applications, rendering it unusable. SIGH. Can't even use it to test my own stuff.

Yeah it seems like an extremely difficult problem to solve for Oculus/Facebook alone. At some point you're just dealing with layers of Windows jank and the infinite possibilities of software conflicts. Any time there is a hitch in the application the head tracking stops so it breaks the illusion and just makes you feel ill. I've pretty much gutted my Windows installation to make this thing work as reliably as possible, and every time I get one game/demo working is looks like another one breaks. It it really needs a pure and stripped down operating environment with as few variables as possible. If only there was an OS that is lightweight and handy for developers, free and open source. Hmm.... can't imagine what that would be.

If only there was an OS that is lightweight and handy for developers, free and open source. Hmm.... can't imagine what that would be.

Pretty sure it doesn't exist, unless it's custom-written for the hardware like console operating systems are. Windows is handy but heavyweight, Linux is lightweight but a pain for developers.

I'm as conflicted after CES as before! It looks like Crescent Bay has a similar resolution to DK2, with physical optics reducing the screen door effect. This is generally good news, but  will make text harder to read. Oculus have said that  CB is close to what they want the first consumer version to be. I've been umming and aahing about whether to get DK2 or wait for CV1. On the one hand, CB is already supposed to be much improved over DK2 in many areas other than the screen, and I'm now sure I could run it (and hence probably CV1) at 90 Hz with my 970 and i7. On the other hand, a major use would be Elite Dangerous, which is text-heavy. Oh well, waiting to buy can't hurt :P!