melmer

Oculus rift

I was able to borrow DK1 from work for a couple of weeks, and on the back of that experience I pre-ordered DK2 :).  My chief motiviation was the game I dare not mention, but I also tried a number of very promising demos. I didn't often feel nauseous, but when I did, it came on suddenly... not nice at all! 

This is pretty great. Project Morpheus got shown on the jimmy fallon show.

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/7086

I've been telling my girlfriend a lot lately that in the not to distant future she's going to lose me to VR, so be prepared. God I hope Morpheus comes out this Christmas, even if it's wildly inferior to whatever oculus ends up making, I just want it now and I'll upgrade later.

What are the chances oculus will make a deal with Xbox?

Oh, also I'm a little scarred that "what if" I'm one of these people that get crazy motion sickness and it just makes my head swim, I'm sure I'll be fine but it is a bit of a worry

What are the chances oculus will make a deal with Xbox?

I dunno. Xbox doesn't seem like Palmer's thing, but then neither did selling to Facebook.

Microsoft only have a 1.6% stake in Facebook.

I actually recently tried an occulus and found it pretty unfortunately underwhelming. It was blurry because I had to take off my glasses and it wasn't adjusted for my eyesight because it was just a quick test so there was no time for that, so maybe that would make all the difference.

But I mostly just thought it was a neat effect but not something I'd want to actually spend the money on the hardware for. Not remotely because it wasn't good, the tech functions really well. I just wonder if maybe it's not something I'd be for, since I generally don't get all that immersed in games normally, I might be paying more attention to the aspects that break the experience (like the fact that I'm just sitting in a chair) rather than letting the additive nature of VR overwhelm me.

I actually recently tried an occulus and found it pretty unfortunately underwhelming. It was blurry because I had to take off my glasses and it wasn't adjusted for my eyesight because it was just a quick test so there was no time for that, so maybe that would make all the difference.

But I mostly just thought it was a neat effect but not something I'd want to actually spend the money on the hardware for. Not remotely because it wasn't good, the tech functions really well. I just wonder if maybe it's not something I'd be for, since I generally don't get all that immersed in games normally, I might be paying more attention to the aspects that break the experience (like the fact that I'm just sitting in a chair) rather than letting the additive nature of VR overwhelm me.

Do you know which headset you were using? There are two versions and the second one is far better. I have really enjoyed my experiences with it. The price makes more sense if you consider that it could be used to replace giant monitors. Also head tracking.

Do you know which headset you were using? There are two versions and the second one is far better. I have really enjoyed my experiences with it. The price makes more sense if you consider that it could be used to replace giant monitors. Also head tracking.

I'm pretty sure it was the older one, I forgot to say that in the last post.

I could definitely see it being a cheaper replacement for giant monitors if I bought them (at the moment my monitor isn't even HD sized), but even if I did have a big monitor I think the closed off nature of it not letting me share what I'm looking with someone else would be a bit of an issue, even if it was a non gaming thing like wanting to watch a film. So I'd probably need a monitor as well as a headset.

I've just got back from E3, where I helped evangelise Elite Dangerous as an ambassador from the backer community; it was fantastic, if totally exhausting! We were given the nod to show ED with the HD prototype (not DK2), and it was marvellous... I think it was 1080p per eye, run by two SLI GTX 770s. Palmer Lucky and posse rocked over, and I got to demonstrate it to the minions, while their big cheese was taken care of by ours :). It was really fascinating to hear their comments to each other... technical stuff way over my head. I really wish that this version was coming to market because it works wonderfully, with all text very visible (though that might be down to the beast machine)

EDIT: The guy I thought was Palmer Luckey wasn't; I just saw an article with him on pcgamer, and it turns out I was talking to him for some time :eek:!

I hope stuff like this will show up for the Oculus Rift once it exists in its consumer iteration.

That is earnestly the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen.

Watching vids of stuff like that straight up gives me anxiety. 

As long as we're terrifying each other with Oculus possibilities:

Oddly, that didn't bother me at all. Its not so much the heights in the first one, but the speed he was going and the precision landings he was making. Would have been a terrible, terrible mess if he missed one of those landings. I've had to climb radio towers (we possess one at the family farm for line-of-sight radio communication over the horizon. It has a hunting platform at the top, which in SD, once you get over the tree tops (such as they are) is incredibly windy at times.) for repairs and fun, and its not really that bad. They're nowhere near that big, but once you get to the height where the falls going to kill you regardless, it gets much less frightening. For me at least.

I used to climb various towers as a teenager, but not those narrow radio towers, and not that high. I also climbed a lot of pine trees and always tried to get to the very top so that I could stick my head out above the forest like Bilbo in the Hobbit or something. But still, somewhy most of the free-climbing videos make me a bit queasy, while the bike video makes me feel excited like I'd want to do that if it was a bit safer.

I want David Attenborough or someone to film a bunch of nature footage with a 360 degree camera and bring it to Oculus Rift.

I know it's not a game, I don't care.

I want David Attenborough or someone to film a bunch of nature footage with a 360 degree camera and bring it to Oculus Rift.

I know it's not a game, I don't care.

I'd imagine Facebook money would make this significantly more likely to happen than it was. This sounds like exactly the kind of thing Facebook would be interested in, because it's not particularly difficult to put together and it diversifies the platform beyond just video games.

Just bought a £20 Google Cardboard kit off of ebay.

Not expecting much, but it should be cool to watch some 3D movies with periphery in darkness, and they have some 3D movies you can move your head about in which could be pretty cool. I'm tempted to maybe bring it to the gym and have a go on it with the treadmill, though I'll probably look like a bit of a twat and someone'll pull my trousers down or something.

Would be cool to take bets how long it would take for you to hurl on the treadmill with that thing on.

I'm tempted to maybe bring it to the gym and have a go on it with the treadmill, though I'll probably look like a bit of a twat and someone'll pull my trousers down or something.

If I saw someone doing this I'd most definitely give them a wedgie and/or swirlie

I can raise that MTB video :)

(Though if you want to see more like the Hector Uribe one, look for Red Bull Rampage videos).

No head movement, but GoPro's 3D system makes taking video suitable for Oculus relatively easy. It just needs some masking to separate the two images. I might have posted it in this thread before, but PCM3D have some excellent drone videos to go with it.