Sign in to follow this  
castorp

Youtube-TV

I just recently discovered the 'Crash Course!' series on Youtube via Penny Arcade's 'Extra Credits' and quite like it. It's 'courses' on history, biology and so on by John and Hank Green (and supported by Google, Wiki says), very broad topics covered in short clips, so probably not much new stuff for people who know about the topics discussed, but I like the attitude of the program, it's well produced and the humour works for me.

Any channels or series you people watch? Not only 'education', I'm interested in anything.

On the Nerdist-podcast they often talk about all those Youtube-shows, and I have no idea about any of this stuff. It's like I'm new to the internet. The only online-series I watch are 'Extra Credits' (which is great as well, but you all know the show, I guess) and now 'Crash Course!'. Oh, and '

', those lectures with a whiteboard and a hand drawing on it illustrating said lecture. Good as well, known as well I guess, and I'm not sure they produce new stuff any more.

(Non Youtube-stuff is great too. Good thing about Youtube though is that I can download things in the library and watch at home where I only have bad internet.)

Cooking with Dog is a great Asian cooking channel based on a hilariously awful joke.

Sound Sculptures is pretty swank if you are one of the small percentage of people who experience the poorly-understood phenomenon of Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Otherwise it is almost guaranteed to be the most boring thing you have ever seen. My favourite is the unboxing of the Lego architecture set.

Life in Transition was originally a coming out video that turned into the gradual videolog of a transsexual girl over 6 years, ranging from makeup tips to examinations of psychosexuality. It is sometimes fascinating.

Hit or miss things that everyone already knows about but I will mention anyway:

Red Letter Media is one of the few sources of internet film criticism that I can stand, because they're of that rare type that clearly have some actualy knowledge of filmmaking. They tend to be pretty cynical, though, and a lot of people find the Plinkett gimmick from their infamous Phantom Menace review (and others) to be obnoxious, which kind of works if you view Plinkett as being a parody of insufferable internet film critics.

Game Grumps is usually more obnoxious than funny, but

I spend entirely too much time on YouTube...

Henry's Kitchen is the best cooking show on YouTube I think. Errant Signal does great video game commentary videos - his latest is about "what is game" and it pretty much puts the debate to rest in my eyes. Manjula's Kitchen is an excellent source for excellent Indian food. BriTANicK makes some of the funniest and smartest sketch comedy videos on YouTube. Wantanmien is a good Cantonese cooking channel. Phaedrus is the best place for Phaedrus.

A couple of years ago when i was really into street fighter 4 i used to watch Cross Counters religiously

- Pro gamers Gootecks and Mike Ross play Super Street Fighter 4 for the amusement of YouTube!

Thanks people!

Errant Signal I just wanted to check for a minute and stuck with for the whole show (wuhu, 13 minutes) - great. My Drunk Kitchen was actually one of the shows I heard about on Nerdist but couldn't remember - she seems nice and funny, but somehow I seem to have a small problem with this getting-drunk-for-entertainment-shtick (which is the point, yeah, I'm not even sure why, maybe it's me being a hypocrite drinking alcohol regularly and still having a problem with the role it plays in society blablabla). BriTANicK I knew, very fantastic, sadly they seem to release new stuff only quarterly. Life in Transition does sound fascinating, but apart from me really not needing make-up-tips I don't feel like I can stomach the emotional heaviness it probably has right now. Yeah, The Guild, I watched that before for an episode or two - not sure why I didn't stick with it.

I have to check the other shows too. Some stuff is really not up my ally, but wellwhatevernevermind.

The only YouTube TV thingy I watch it Wil Wheaton's Table Top. It's a series about boardgames. In about half an hour Wil and a constantly switching group of friends play a table top game (while explaining it to the audience, and joking around).

My favourite series is

, a wonderful series that details how hard it is to be a man in this modern world filled with "feminazis". As women can't take compliments anymore, all kinds of issues have arisen that has made men the persecuted sex. It's true! These guys get it.

My favourite series is

, a wonderful series that details how hard it is to be a man in this modern world filled with "feminazis". As women can't take compliments anymore, all kinds of issues have arisen that has made men the persecuted sex. It's true! These guys get it.

Hey, I think your link is broken. I'm pretty positive you meant this:

I did not have the guts to watch one of the (I am surprised only) 37 hits for 'misandry everywhere' on Youtube.

And far more important: God, I love dachshunds (Dackel), the video above is the greatest ever.

To be fair, 37 is far too many. I chose the phrase arbitrarily, so I have no idea what those videos would be. Whichever brave soul has the courage to sit through any of them is a hero in my book.

Realtalk:

is my favourite tech channel on Youtube. Amazing production values, they are really on the pulse.

Don't know if this belongs here. But this round table with these six comedy actresses was very interesting and insightful. It's an hour long conversation between Christina Applegate, Julie Bowen, Laura Dern, Zooey Deschanel, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jane Lynch and Martha Plimpton and two interviewers.Deffo worth a watch!

women comedy round table

Watched it in two sittings, first felt really strange, stilted, second was indeed interesting and insightful. Thanks.

Hey guys, Crashcourse is really cool so thanks for that, I love the world history stuff.

Anyone here a Mr. Btounge fan?

This is one of his most recent videos. All of his vids are gaming related. He is hands down my favorite provider of content on youtube. If you like vidiya games, analysis, a bit of dry humor, I think you will enjoy his work.

Thanks! I really liked the three videos - the one above,

and
- I've seen so far. (Though I find the self-deprecation to be a bit at odds with the quite highbrow and insightful analysis he does, but that's just a minor oddness.)