melmer

Destiny

So the Raids will be doled out one a week for a month ending with the newest one last. Also there will be another book of achievements and if you get to rank 7 in it you can buy a T shirt with your username on it.

I would like to hop on for a bit at least to check out the AoT record book, and if anyone is dying to run the updated raids, I'd be interested. But I've got a nice Saterienne Rapier, and Breath of the Wild, and an impending move, so my motivation to jump back into Destiny is fairly low.

Yeah, I thought this update might pull me back in for a bit, but with everything else coming out around now I'll probably sit this one out. I've killed poor Atheon enough times. RIP, robo-timelord.

Very ready for some Destiny 2 news though.

Yeah I'm thinking it might be more of a summer thing for me. Once P5 is out that's kind of it for the year for me basically so after that I'll have more time. Still I'm happy to join up if anyone else wants to do one of the raids.

I heard a rumour recently that Destiny would be the free PS+ game in April, with access to the entire game for a limited time. If you're thinking about getting into Destiny it might be worth waiting until April.

Just seen on twitter that Destiny 2 will get official announced today.  Whether that includes a trailer/gameplay? I guess we'll

find out soon

It depends honestly. If all systems play in the same instances then I'll go PC just because at that point there's no reason not to. I highly doubt that will happen though so I will almost certainly stick with PS4.

The news about D2 made me reinstall the old game, and I just have no clue what the hell is going on. Like, what was I doing? Where am I in the story? What the fuck are all these currencies?

The game never explained itself well in the first place, but returning after a long hiatus is just awful. I know a lot of stuff has changed in the game since launch, which is probably compounding my confusion. 

A lot of games are hard to pick back up like that, but this case seems especially bad. I feel stupid!

It's not you, destiny has changed a lot and not necessarily in ways you'd expect.  They throw a lot of stuff at you pretty early, and most of that won't be necessary until way into the late game. For the most part you only need to follow the exclamation points for story and playlist stuff, best place to look at at the bottom left of the screen when you bring up the director.  Most of the changes are to perks on exotic weapons and the economy, neither of which really matter until you've done just about everything else.  I'd say just pick playlist you like and go for it--the rest will fall into place soon enough

Is there anyone else here still playing this game or thinking about playing it?  Everyone on Slack is D2 crazy, but I'm still stubbornly playing this for the first time, and I'm hoping there's somebody else out there doing the same thing, because the lack of matchmaking or even something like the ability to put up a public lobby outside of a few very specific activities is a bit of a bummer.

Out of curiosity, why are you still playing the first one? Destiny was a frustrating game that had some really great gunplay. Destiny 2 keeps the gunplay, and fixes the game.

Destiny 2 isn't out yet on PC, but even if it was, Destiny 1 and 2 are different video games and I want to play Destiny 1.  Destiny is not an abstract puzzle or board game where the only thing that changes between sequels is a set of rules, which is the only situation in which the idea of a game becoming "obsolete" makes any sense whatsoever.  It's a first person shooter with its own unique set of level designs, enemies, weapons, progression systems, narrative arcs and so on, and I want to experience them.

I've been binge playing this game and enjoying it a lot.  So far the only truly frustrating thing about it has been my inability to find anyone to play it with (my usual coop crew is abstaining from this game for various reasons) and the utterly baffling lack of matchmaking features to get around that.

Every single quest I have now is pointing me towards multiplayer content: strikes, raids, the Prison of the Elders arenas, and the patrol zone arenas (Court of Orxy and Archon's Forge).  Of these, only strikes and some (not all) of the PotE arenas have matchmaking.  Even then, matchmaking for strikes is hit and miss - mostly miss if you want to do a specific one instead of a random one from a playlist.  The number of strikes I've completed alone could almost be considered impressive, but it's mostly just sad.