melmer

Destiny

My sense of value is all out of whack I guess. I can't imagine paying $60 to level up a character. Why would I bother playing if that's how much of a chore it is. I also saw reviews on Sublevel Zero complaining that they beat it in six hours and that's a horrible deal for a $15 game. I dunno. Money is weird. 

Oh gosh no. I wasn't pointing to WoW to say "Now THIS is a great value!", but rather to contrast the difference between offering an opportunity to skip leveling after 10 years and 5 expansions which raised the level cap, and offering it after a year. At this point, leveling from 1-40 is still a pretty valuable part of the game. I understand someone not wanting to level an Nth character to the cap for WoW at the start of a new expansion, new server, new xyz, because the amount of characters you can have is for all intents and purposes unlimited. It could be your 7th Paladin. Destiny has 3 character slots full stop, and a limited scope of content.

I just read that and kind of agree with the assessment. I'm still waiting patiently to see what kind of additional content they end up putting out as a result of switching to this whole "use microtransactions to fund additional content" model. So I'm trying to hold off any judgment until we actually get some of that. But yeah, some strange decisions here to be sure. 

For the record it's actually £25, not $25. The equivalent boost in the North America PSN store is $30. So it's even worse value than you thought for Americans, but it's really terrible value for Brits because £25 converts to $37.

As a lapsed Destiny player, is £19.99 a decent price for The Taken King? I've been seriously considering it for a while, but I don't know how much enjoyment I'll get out of the game, especially as it seems like everyone is done with the content now.

They're adding new stuff actually pretty frequently, and I think I'm ready to jump back in after a month-long break. I still gotta beat King's Fall.

I've never finished King's Fall, so I selfishly want people to come back to Destiny. With that disclosed: I think TTK is worth £20/$30. There's quite a bit of campaign-ish stuff in there, and if collecting gear is compelling for you, there are a few extended quests that'll take you some time. The subclasses it introduced are pretty interesting, too.

Sparrow racing is ending tomorrow, so don't buy TTK for that (though it's possible it'll come back eventually). But aprettycooldude is correct that there's new bits fairly frequently. And I think there are enough of us still playing that you could get three people together for a Nightfall or Trials pretty easily. I'm on every night, for better or worse.

They've already said that sparrow racing will come back in 2-3 months or so. They've planned another temp event and then some new content (read, more pve maps) first.

They're adding new stuff actually pretty frequently, and I think I'm ready to jump back in after a month-long break. I still gotta beat King's Fall.

I feel strong disagreement with the first part of this statement, but as someone incredibly disappointed with post-release support and the direction they seem to be taking the game, the initial release of the expansion was still so strong I think it's worth your money and time to try out at that price.

I picked it up. I forgot how much I enjoy listening to podcasts and shooting stuff. The mechanics are just so satisfying. 

I'll be online tonight and tomorrow night for Iron Banner if anyone wants to join up on me. I just need the helmet and my space knight cosplay will be complete!

Weekend reward for a successful 2015 from Bungie:

DAYS OF THE DAWNING
A time to celebrate the past year, and look forward to the next...

Dates:     January 7th - January 10th 11:59PM PST

Details:    All players have been awarded 15 Motes of 
                  Light and 15 Strange Coins. Earn the 
                  exclusive "Rising Light" emblem just for 
                  playing. Log on and play any Destiny activity 
                  during the event to receive credit.*

Rewards: Rising Light Emblem 

People datamined a bunch more stuff related to "The Dawning", I wonder if any of that is coming this month?

Has anyone been back for the April update? I'm enjoying it so far, the increased light level has been a nice reason to get back to King's Fall, and the extra light makes the raid a little bit easier too. Challenge of Elders is also really fun! It's fairly easy but it's a good excuse to try different character builds to rack up points. Mostly it's just really fun to have multiple endgame activities that reward good gear instead of just one.

If anyone wants to play again I'd love to get some Thumbs groups going again. I'm Wracketeer on PSN.

I've never stopped, personally, except for maybe a short break the first two weeks The Division came out. I'm loving the April update, just hit level 335 on my main through the help of Iron Banner and some good Trials luck. I've mostly stayed active all this time with my clan, so he's my obligatory invitation to join that if anyone is looking to get back into the game regularly. To get into slightly more background on what Vasari is saying, many of the end-game activities reward maximum 335 loot (Hard Mode King's Fall Raid, Challenge of Elders, Trials of Osiris, Iron Banner, Exotic Engram decoding, Shaxx weekly bounty, Nightfall). All of these activities grant loot based on a range of 1-5 levels over your current light level, so if you're 310 and do the raid, all of your drops will be 311-315. Beyond that, the rate at which you get reputation for pretty much all factions has increased and the 3/week free sterling treasures have a chance to give you reputation boosters which give you enhanced rep gain for a limited period of time. Faction packages can grant up to 330 light level gear, which is a great reason to continue the more mundane grinds of bounties, regular activities (strike playlist, 6v6 pvp, etc).

All of this stuff together has really tightened the game loop and gives way more rewards on a much more regular basis. Add some other elements, like the fact that they've added some new exotics to the game, revived some old year one weapons like Shadow Price and Longbow Synthesis for the nostalgic masses, etc and you get a much more pleased fanbase. It seems like with every big update to the game including this one, it's even more appropriate to say "this is a good time to get (back) into the game".

QlF0Gnh.png

welp. i took a long break between vanilla and the end of HoW, but since then i've been pretty bang on