melmer

Destiny

I can't see them leaving POE as it is for much longer, it's just completely irrelevant and ripe for updating after Trials is added back in. I can't imagine this expansion lasting much longer than about now for myself either, if it wasn't for the fact that it's relatively easy for me to find raid groups with my clan and PvP offering a lot to me personally.

Oh my god, I solo'd Undying Mind and then didn't get Essence of the Feast. I finally, finally got the 45th freaking fragment and then whatever I had to do in the strike didn't happen.

Christ, Destiny.

That sucks. Can't remember if I added you on PSN, but if I'm available and you want to run it again let me know. There is a Taken major that spawns when the final boss reaches 50% health. It usually spawns out of the right side of the arena from the starting point. You kill him and that gets you the Essence, you technically don't need to even finish the strike.

Yeah, I was pretty unclear on what needed to happen. I'm fairly certain I was on the opposite side of the room and the other enemies got to him before I did.

I'm not sure we're PSN buddies, but I'll definitely add you.

anybody still playing is probably already in the habit of checking xur regularly but heads up: the auto rifle he has right now is a primary with an element effect

Black Spindle is the Daily today. I already have it (and the accompanying ship), but am happy to run again with anyone who needs it! I've got one non-Thumbs buddy who's got a hankering, and I dunno if anyone else here is up for some Taken slaughter.

As a side note, I've almost finished the main story on my Warlock, which means I will soon be blessed with yet another iteration of the sword quest, which means I will have three swords that need the Sunless Cell Deluxe Special Edition quest in the near future. So uh, might throw something up on the the100 to gauge interest.

Goddamn, Trials. Did five real attempts at flawless, got five 8-1 cards. They really did an excellent job with the Trials matchmaking, if you haven't heard they basically made it so that teams with the same number of wins play against each other as much as possible. So, theoretically you all have the same skin in the game and you all are good enough to get to the point you're at. What this means is that for me, wins 1-5 are fairly effortless affairs. 6-7 are quite hard, and 8-9 are practically impossible.

All of that being said, Trials is far more accessible and worthwhile to non-PvP-focused players. Instead of having bronze, silver, and gold tier packages rewarded on wins, they're now attributed to bounties. All of the bronze tier bounties are relatively easy and attainable through regular play, stuff like revives and kill streaks as a team. Two of the bronze tier packages reward 25 marks each, 50 legendary marks in total per character. Beyond that, the silver and gold tier bounties are not insanely hard to get and quite attainable through a prolonged play. Silver requires a point total that you build faster with wins but still build with losses or ties. Gold requires 10 matches played and 75 total kills by your team. The silver and gold tier packages reward Trials gear and Exotics at over 310 light level.

Beyond the bounties, armor is awarded at 5 wins as per usual and weapons are awarded at 7 wins. Gear is 300-310 light and universally have quite solid rolls. Flawless of course grants you access to Mercury, which rewards Adept weapons. Adept weapons don't feel as essential as before when they had elemental damage, instead they all now have a different skin as the regular drops and they have a built in extra perk called Last Resort that grants you bonus agility if you're the last person on your team alive.

Overall, Trials has EXCELLENT rewards. It's still grueling if you're going for that ever elusive flawless, but more accessible than ever to the more casual PvP crowd. I'd still recommend playing Elimination in the off time (which is now an always playable game type) to get accustomed to the mode, but I think you all should give it a shot now and then.

Since Black Spindle was up yesterday, I logged on with a couple friends to make a run at it and we destroyed it on our first attempt after coming up short the last time it was available. The key to our victory was dropping a titan bubble with armor of light on the boss and two of us spamming our exotic sword special attacks until he was dead. Took about 15 seconds to bring him from a little over half health to dead. Then we quickly mopped up the rest of the adds and had enough extra time to do a quick nightfall run.

It was quite refreshing to have a nice challenge again that actually gave something I needed. Seeing how worthwhile trials is looking now, I think we're gonna make a run at that this weekend if we can't find enough people for an evening raid. This game is really good at tricking me into thinking I'm done for awhile and then dripping just enough content to pull me back in. Still holding out hope for some new PoE stuff soon though.

First Firewall is live again today, for anyone who hasn't run it yet. I put up an event tomorrow to run the SABER-2 variation that's needed to get Sleeper Simulant (and also to run the Hunger Pangs Undying Mind variant because that's been sitting in my quest log for too long)

The past few weeks I've been too busy to play pretty much anything, and in that time I've taken a hard look at my poor backlog and realized something must be done and it's pretty clear what's gotta go (it's Destiny). Which is tough because it's still fun and there are many Cool Guns I don't have, but I think I'd really rather put my limited free time into other stuff for a while. If any of the regulars from here really need one more to fill out a roster for some activity and I'm online, feel free to shoot me an invite, but I'm not gonna actively play until I put at least a sizable dent in this damned backlog (or the next expansion comes out, obviously).

The past few weeks I've been too busy to play pretty much anything, and in that time I've taken a hard look at my poor backlog and realized something must be done and it's pretty clear what's gotta go (it's Destiny). Which is tough because it's still fun and there are many Cool Guns I don't have, but I think I'd really rather put my limited free time into other stuff for a while. If any of the regulars from here really need one more to fill out a roster for some activity and I'm online, feel free to shoot me an invite, but I'm not gonna actively play until I put at least a sizable dent in this damned backlog (or the next expansion comes out, obviously).

I'm with video games on this one, actually. If someone needs me, send a ping (I'm in the Idle Thumbs slack channel always), but I've gotta get cracking on other games before I lose even more time to Xenoblade at the beginning of December. I finally finished Kirby and the Rainbow Curse yesterday, which says something I think about how bad the backlog is for 2015 alone. Gotta get ready for the GOTY list.

I'm still around :| I usually do the dailies and play a little crucible. If anyone wants to try and do trials this weekend I'd be interested (although be warned that I am not MLG Pro)

I still don't have Sleeper Simulant, No Time To Explain, or Black Spindle. I would have probably raided yesterday if Fallout didn't release. I didn't even do Trials of Osiris because I don't really have a crucible crew.

THERE IS STILL SO MUCH TO DO.

Yeah, I still haven't completed King's Fall, and I'd like to do the Black Spindle thing next time it comes up. There's about a billion things on my backlog, thanks to A Year of Living in Destiny, but I'll still do stuff we post to the100, schedule permitting.

Iron Banner is great guys -

Hope you all are having fun with your other games :(

Are the rewards actually decent this time? If a Nirwen's Mercy-like item is the only thing it has going for it again I think I'll pass.

For what it's worth, Nirwen's is essentially the best PvP legendary weapon available so I wouldn't undersell it. They did change the rewards structure this time around, now when you hit ranks 3 and 5 you get a package. Seems like the rank 3 package drops a guaranteed 310 artifact, not to 5 yet but I'd expect it to be something interesting. They are saying that the rank 5 package could have an IB ghost. Also hitting higher ranks means you get better random rewards at the end of match, since hitting rank 3 I've gotten two chest pieces, a hand cannon, and some arms.

So yeah, I wouldn't say that IB is offering anything mindblowing but the rewards to playtime ratio is significantly, measurably better than before. What I've heard some of my clan members doing is getting all the daily bounties every day then not playing. Daily bounties aren't repeating entirely (yesterday had one bounty in common with today) so you can build up a nice cache. Plus, when you turn in the bounties on later days you get more rep. So, potentially if you build up the bounties on all your characters and then play a few hours on Sunday/Monday, you could hit rank 5 on all chars with ease (particularly since there's another XP bonus applied when one character hits rank 5).

I didn't mean to undersell Nirwen's Mercy. That gun is definitely sweet. I was more wondering if it was actually going to offer anything higher than 280 light since the last time around that wasn't the case and the only reason to do it was to get that one sweet gun.

Sounds much better from what you're saying though. Unfortunately I already have the 310 artifact from completing the raid but it sounds likely that there may be other possible 310 items if that is just what dropped at rank 3. I'll probably dive in and burn through those ranks over the weekend.

How about that Refer-A-Friend garbage?

The paid-for emotes were one thing (and fine!), but locking a quest, weapon, speeder, two emblems, and more emotes behind something that is unattainable without getting someone else to pay $60 for something they might not like is *ridiculous*. Having you pay money is one thing. Forcing someone else to is another matter, and I think it's one of the most disgusting things I've seen.

Are there any other examples of MMOs doing this? Usually its just mutual EXP buffs and gold or something, right?

I'm pretty sure this is common for MMOs. I don't think it's that bad. Half the stuff you mentioned is purely aesthetic. They've already locked a speeder the Red Bull thing and it turned out that the sparrows you could get from the TTK preorder or from the raids are all pretty much exactly the same except paint jobs and tiny velocity differences. The quest is specific to the actual mechanic of the event, so that's a weird thing to feel like you're missing out on. And the weapon I believe is attainable by other means and really it's just a reskin of the legendary sword you can get otherwise.

I believe there is a cheese way to do this, you could have a buddy who already owns Destiny create a new PSN account, that account will get access to Destiny and PSN just from being on the same console as the main account, then you can do the refer-a-friend with that account. Then do the same thing vice-versa for your buddy.

Iron Banner was very kind to me this last week. The Rank 5 package was dropping 312-315 primary legendaries (scout, pulse) and I got some 320 legs for my Titan. Additionally it was raining 312-318 ghost shells.