melmer

Destiny

You can easily play for an hour or so per day. That'd give you time to do daily stuff, maybe a strike or two, etc. The campaign itself doesn't take too incredibly long, you could probably beat it in a week or so at that clip.

Man, doing the raid blind is really fun! Today we've made it through the Glyph and the Warpriest, figuring out the strategy as we go. Golgoroth is really kicking our arses though. I think we've figured out the mechanics well enough but we don't have a strategy around them that works.

I still think [iDLE] should be the tag, simply because I don't think we can do an equal four-letter for Crota Today (CRTD? CTDY?). I'd be all in on "Crota Today" or something similar being the clan name, though.

I come into this topic and the first thing I see is Crota Today.

That name is perfect, and this topic is probably the only thing making me consider returning to Destiny.

Hey guys! How far did you get through the raid after I left? I know you got Golgoroth down and made it to the next encounter. I would have loved to stay but you know, life things.

Our progress, spoiler-tagged in case people are still avoiding spoilers wrt names of things -

Golgoroth -> Jumping Puzzle/Hidden Chest -> Sisters -> Oryx, stopped there like video games said.

So, at maximum, I can get maybe an hour or two to game in a 24 hour period, often no gaming. Lately, MGSV has been taking all of those hours, but all of this talk lately about The Taken King has me a bit tempted. Then Giant Bomb posted an 8 hour video series showing what the game can be like. Thing is, I still like the style, I like Bungie games, I like a lot about it. I put it to you folks: Is it possible to play this game casually, or if I'm going to do this do I need to be able to sit down and play for 8 hours at a time? This is not a luxury my life affords...

For what it's worth, I was and am in a similar boat, and had a great time tagging along with the heavier players from this community for a while. The game can feel mro rewarding in short sessions in many ways because of the many per-day/week things that don't reward continuous play as much.

I have to say that

I'm pleased that King's Fall has kept the "learn the mechanic, twist the mechanic, master the mechanic" thing with stuff like the Weaving/Unraveling effect. I feel like VoG did that really well with the oracles, the relic, etc. but Crota felt like it had a lot less of that.

Holy hell, that final Oryx fight though. That's just bananas.

That was very, very fun to do. I enjoyed myself, and hopefully wasn't too much of a pain!

I was invited to a pub group who had a raid saved right where I had to go yesterday, and got that down, got to try Oryx a bit. That shit is bananas, though. Started getting raid turnover and bailed out.

I also finally, finally got

w6d1wYa.gif

so I can stop whining about that.

That was very, very fun to do. I enjoyed myself, and hopefully wasn't too much of a pain!

I was invited to a pub group who had a raid saved right where I had to go yesterday, and got that down, got to try Oryx a bit. That shit is bananas, though. Started getting raid turnover and bailed out.

I also finally, finally got

w6d1wYa.gif

so I can stop whining about that.

I mean, here's a cool Scout Rifle thing

If you're part of Dead Orbit...

Also you were great! I think we had a really solid team throughout the whole raid; the fact that we made it up to our prior checkpoint in only two hours (give/take with breaks) is really good. Last time I think we spent two hours on the first encounter alone.

Regarding the Oryx fight:

Aside from some fatigue, it seemed like the two big issues we had with Oryx were taking down the Ogres quickly and DPS on his chest. So it's probably just a matter of loadouts (plus maybe using weapons of light on the chest phase?). No idea what everyone was using, but this is probably the place where having a high impact sniper and/or scout rifle as close to 300 light as possible is really crucial. Oh and one thing I didn't notice at the time was that the during the Oryx fight, I thought the aura gave everyone an armor buff but it actually makes us literally invincible. I know I was probably being overly cautious with adds because of that.

Anyway, assuming we don't end up pulling in any newbies, we've got the mechanics down well enough that I think we'll be able to slam through everything up to Oryx relatively quickly next time. I'm looking forward to beating this crazy thing.

I mean, here's a cool Scout Rifle thing

If you're part of Dead Orbit...

Also you were great! I think we had a really solid team throughout the whole raid; the fact that we made it up to our prior checkpoint in only two hours (give/take with breaks) is really good. Last time I think we spent two hours on the first encounter alone.

Not even joking, joined Dead Orbit with my Warlock just in case. Once you own faction weapons, can you trade them? Doesn't matter that much, but I'm curious.

I don't know what other people prefer, but I found myself really enjoying the "off" roles in the raid with mechanics other than (just) shooting stuff.

What I'm saying is I enjoy both slamming AND jamming under the gaze of others.

Not even joking, joined Dead Orbit with my Warlock just in case. Once you own faction weapons, can you trade them? Doesn't matter that much, but I'm curious.

Class items you cannot, but weapons absolutely. My Titan is FWC and Hung Jury all day every day.

That's good to know.

The one I got is exactly the same style as Hung Jury but neon blue and green. It looks fake in a way that all the other fake guns somehow don't look fake.

The Omolon weapons like the Hung Jury/Last Extremity (the Crucible version of the Omolon Scout Rifle) definitely look the most fake, weirdly sleek and have a liquid ammo container. If you look at the gun model as you're firing, the little tank of liquid reduces with each shot you take. You should see one of the Omolon sniper rifles, they look so strange and tiny.

Related: I think Omolon designs are my favorite of all the foundry weapons. I'm pretty okay with my Sci Fi guns being outrageous, and Omolon fits that bill. Weirdly enough, I'd take Hakke over Suros.

Opinions:

1. Crux/Lomar

2. Omolon

3. Tex Mechanica

4. Hakke

5. SUROS

N/A (Haven't had enough time/seen enough non-blue guns to form an opinion)

Cassoid

Daito

Nadir

The Omolon weapons like the Hung Jury/Last Extremity (the Crucible version of the Omolon Scout Rifle) definitely look the most fake, weirdly sleek and have a liquid ammo container. If you look at the gun model as you're firing, the little tank of liquid reduces with each shot you take. You should see one of the Omolon sniper rifles, they look so strange and tiny.

Yep, Last Extremity is the one I got. I really like the look of Hung Jury, it's just really goofy in neon green. What makes it the "crucible" version? In case the answer is something simple like "you get it from the crucible QM", I got it out of a random engram.

Man, some of these perks are great and some are terrible. Triple Tap seems awesome, and Icarus seems completely awful. I got Replenish, which seems fine if situationally limited, as long as you remember it exists (by which I mean, 4th worst of these possible perks).

What makes a good crucible weapon vs pve weapons?

Yep, Last Extremity is the one I got. I really like the look of Hung Jury, it's just really goofy in neon green. What makes it the "crucible" version? In case the answer is something simple like "you get it from the crucible QM", I got it out of a random engram.

Man, some of these perks are great and some are terrible. Triple Tap seems awesome, and Icarus seems completely awful. I got Replenish, which seems fine if situationally limited, as long as you remember it exists (by which I mean, 4th worst of these possible perks).

What makes a good crucible weapon vs pve weapons?

The random engrams can yield Vanguard QM and Crucible QM versions of the weapons. The different versions differ in stats and appearance, despite using the same model.

Some of the perks you mentioned are good examples of what makes good PvE vs PvP perks (I'll get to weapons shortly). Triple Tap is a good PvE perk because it's pretty hard to get precision hits consecutively on human opponents vs AI opponents. Replenish is a decent PvP perk for special weapons, as you're ammo limited on them. I find myself quite frequently without any sniper ammo and having the chance to give me a clip on super activation is pretty handy if I'm having trouble with special ammo pickups. Icarus is not a great perk, but better than you'd think for both PvP and PvE - it really favors weapons with already good range/stability, particular weapons where you need to move to compensate for how they fire. For instance, Icarus shouldn't be undervalued for fusion rifles that have long charge time, because you could easily find yourself strafing and jumping while charging for a shot.

As far as PvE vs PvP as it pertains to weapons, you just have to consider the general use cases of each of the weapon classes and how they fit into the meta. High impact, high range shotguns are greatly favored in Crucible for the simple fact that those two stats primarily govern how easily you can one-shot someone with a shotgun blast. In most shotgun vs something engagements, you only have one shot that can count. An auto rifle, hand cannon, or even melee can easily counter a shotgun that takes two shots to kill regardless of rate-of-fire. On Auto Rifles, high stability and range are most critical because almost by default you have to stay relatively still while firing one (versus hand cannons or scout rifles, where you can take a shot, strafe, take a shot, jump up and down, take a shot, etc) so you want every shot to hit for as much damage as possible.

If you have any particular guns that you're looking at and aren't sure of their viability in various modes, feel free to ask about them.

If you have any particular guns that you're looking at and aren't sure of their viability in various modes, feel free to ask about them.

Ah, cool. I hit a lucky streak yesterday and found Monte Carlo and Invective. Both look like Y2 upgrades rather than new weapons? They both seem to have perks that would work in PvP. 

Oh I also have Hereafter, which I immediately stashed in the vault because it was lower light than what I was using because maybe I'm dumb.