melmer

Destiny

MIKE DANGER IT WAS MIKE DANGER

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

I'm up to like 260 now, and yeah, I meant to schedule it for this week. Thanks for being nice about it guys, it was a good reminder of how good this group is.

I'll be on tonight throwing more hammers than a Hammer Brother, interested to see what this Court of Oryx business is like after I ended up helping a guy at random the other day.

According to a not horribly statistically sound but still moderately interesting video from DestinyTracker, the level 20 strike playlist is the best way to farm engrams - 

Alright I've manged to get my Hunter up to 287 light and got the celestial nighthawk so now I'm double ready for the raid tomorrow! I look forward to being very confused with you all.

That's alright we got maybe halfway through so there's plenty to do next weekend. Sadly I did not got any 300 light gear. I got like 7 moldering shards though so go me I guess.

Either way stay tuned next week for Idle Thumbs 232 where we maybe beat the second boss.

And don't forget to use promo code Praise Be To Jonac at Naturebox to get free shipping on the underwear themed URL of your choice.

Just got Destiny TKK, was wondering if anyone is interested in playing with me (level 15 warlock right now). However, I totally understand if no one is interested though cause I'm brand new, don't understand much, and am pretty terrible at most first person shooters.

But, if there's any other new people to destiny that want to play together then we should make it happen. Also, this game is really fun. I like seeing the numbers go up even though a little part of me is sad every time I have to dismantle my favourite gun cause I found one that's like 2 numbers better.

I'm on PS4 and my name is TheMessiBeast.

I read a few things on Golgoroth (where we ended up calling it quits) and think I see the key thing we were missing to make progress. I'll spoiler tag it I guess?

The adds only respawn if Golgoroth loses his gaze. So the key thing is that the second person up top has to take the gaze before the first one expires. We weren't doing that, so we were constantly getting overwhelmed with new adds. And on a related note, at the very start of the encounter, we should clear out all adds (that Adept last) before starting the gaze process...doesn't sound like more will spawn in. We were all getting a bit tired/impatient at this point...we kept starting the gaze before clearing adds, then not keeping the gaze active, so even more adds spawned. Dealing with both the gaze and adds is pretty much impossible for the people up top.

So the jist of it is two up top, swapping the gaze between them and positioning themselves appropriately so that the four below can DPS that big ol' belly from the pool (while being mindful of the cursed thralls that show up when the ball is destroyed). A few seconds before the gaze is about to be swapped, the guys below (and maybe the extra guy up top...not sure), take out the next light ball. When that happens, people reposition themselves and repeat. After all the light balls have been used up, clear out of the pit, lose the gaze, kill adds, and repeat, with Taken showing up as the adds at some point. Piece of cake?

Sounds like the plan is to start from the beginning next weekend? I think we can get back to where we stopped pretty quickly now.

Edit: Want to add that this has been really fun so far and it's been cool figuring out the mechanics as we go. Good raid and a good group :lol:

Has anyone got any experience with the Xbox One version? 

Seeing how hard the PS4-release is being pushed I'm wondering if they're still comparable in performance and player count?

Bad news: I forgot to set Twitch to auto-archive streams, and if you don't do that there's no way to reclaim them after the fact

Good news: I figured out how to get Twitch to auto-archive streams, so next weekend we'll be good to go, and all eight of our viewers from yesterday got a Sneak Preview

For real though, that was an absolute blast. What a great time, thanks everyone :)

Has anyone got any experience with the Xbox One version? 

Seeing how hard the PS4-release is being pushed I'm wondering if they're still comparable in performance and player count?

I have it for the xbone. It performs great and looks great, etc. and has a really high install base. The problem is that PS4 users simply get more content because of timed exclusives. Mostly these are an extra strike each release, but they add up. It sucks. If you CAN buy it for PS4, do it, but if you only have the xbox, it's still a great game (well, that part is debatable on any version) with lots of players active.

If I'm not mistaken the Xbox One (I forgot how dumb that name is) version actually outsells the PS4 version by a fair bit but the kind of people who post on game forums like this tend to lean more towards PS4 for whatever reason.

So, Friday or Saturday evening for Blind Run Redux: Robbin' the Hood? Is one of those preferable to the other?

Edit: Or Sunday, but I think some people (DRM?) said Sunday didn't work

and yeah (boss mechanic spoilers)

avoiding the add respawn by not losing the gaze makes a lot of sense

So, Friday or Saturday evening for Blind Run Redux: Robbin' the Hood? Is one of those preferable to the other?

oh my god i will destroy you

(also, Friday night to get to

where we were/Golgoroth

and then Saturday do the rest of the sucker?)

I have it for the xbone. It performs great and looks great, etc. and has a really high install base. The problem is that PS4 users simply get more content because of timed exclusives. Mostly these are an extra strike each release, but they add up. It sucks. If you CAN buy it for PS4, do it, but if you only have the xbox, it's still a great game (well, that part is debatable on any version) with lots of players active.

PS4 right now has one exclusive strike and a couple pieces of exclusive armor for each class (denoted on the PS4 by "Sublime Engrams," which is how that came up). There's also one exclusive exotic gun, a Scout Rifle called "Jade Rabbit." It was known in a past life as "Fate of All Fools," and there's some significant frustration that gun that's been alluded to since 1.0 has finally shown up a year later as a PS4 exclusive.

The PS4/XONE difference is not nearly as pronounced right now as it was last year, but it'll add up as time goes on. PS4 started 1.0 with two exclusive guns (Hawkmoon and Monte Carlo) and one exclusive strike (Dust Palace). Before 2.0 dropped, the PS4 had three exclusive guns (added The Fourth Horseman), two exclusive strikes (added Undying Mind), and probably some other things I didn't process because I had a PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if the first expansion added another strike/gun, and then again for the second expansion.

I actively play on both platforms (Xbox One with a couple friends, PS4 with y'all Wizard Squad), and other than the exclusive stuff, the experience is identical. There are enough people playing on Xbox One that you're matched for strikes/Crucible/whatever quickly enough, and there are enough people running around the public areas that most public events, Court of Oryx things, and Taken patrols aren't a problem.

The main reason to go with the PS4 version, in my estimation, is access to this community. Almost everyone here is on PS4, and that gives you a group of very cool people to do raids and stuff with*. If you have a big enough group of friends on Xbox One, or are willing to roll the dice on an LFG situation, that may not be as important to you.

None of the exclusive stuff I've experienced is worth choosing one platform over the other.

*I was pretty slow to figure out some raid stuff Saturday, and I didn't get yelled at once.

[Edited way late to correct a spelling error and word omission.]

Actually I think it would be best to just start the raid over on Saturday. By then it will have reset and we can maybe get some level 300 drops to take on the second boss with.

Also Sunday is just fine with me, I think the reason we decided on Saturday is that people have work on Monday so nobody wanted to be up late doing a raid.

Actually I think it would be best to just start the raid over on Saturday. By then it will have reset and we can maybe get some level 300 drops to take on the second boss with.

Raid resets on Tuesday, I think? Either way, both of those work. If we do Saturday, we might want to do it in two chunks so that we can take a break in the middle for lunch/dinner/not getting doghoused by roommates or significant others/whatever.

*I was pretty slow to figure out some raid stuff Saturday, and I didn't get yelled at once.

Yeah I would like to apologize for any aggression it seemed like I was exuding during that first encounter. I wasn't angry at anyone in the group, moreso just that

The mechanics were unforgiving to the point that if anyone messed up in the slightest it was effectively a wipe, which wasn't the case in any prior raid, and thus took some serious getting used to.

Anyways hopefully this weekend will be Better and I will be less angry after understanding that "pain and suffering" are the core mechanic of the whole raid.

That's fine by me. And if we can get to the last boss I'd be fine with stopping for the day on Saturday and finishing on Sunday. If that works for everyone's schedule.