melmer

Destiny

Well, we've got that strike run scheduled, but the comments in that thread seem to say a light level of around 290 is needed. Unless I get lucky with the drops, I won't be up to snuff.

Very curious to see if it's just running the mission on Heroic that makes this possible or if it has to be the Daily. Regardless, the fact that this is even a thing is so great. And more to come, I'm sure.

Vulpes Absurda, one of my buds and I tried  to get the Black Spindle this morning, but we just didn't have the attack power yet. We had to call it quits after a few failed attempts. And now I'm at work until tomorrow morning, and it's been confirmed to only be available during the Daily Heroic mission. So just, fuck, you know?

Yeah, that mission is pretty awful. I couldn't manage it over 7-8 attempts (I'm light level 300) and I just didn't have time to do more. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come up in the rotation sometime soon. They only thing we're missing out on is a 310 weapon to infuse with.

Well, latest news is that it was dropping at 20 points higher than it was supposed to, so it'll drop at 290 next time, and kiosk version is going down from 300 to 280.

Still a sweet gun, though!

Yeah, but you can still use the 310 version (if anyone here got it, just an FYI) to infuse another weapon and that weapon won't be debuffed like the drop will. And you'll still be able to rebuy it at 280 via the kiosk.

We (video games, aprettycooldude, and me) discovered last night that the Undying Mind strike is a good way to complete those subclass quests. Lots of majors, lots of orbs.

We (video games, aprettycooldude, and me) discovered last night that the Undying Mind strike is a good way to complete those subclass quests. Lots of majors, lots of orbs.

Bonus round: most of said majors are light on the HP, and there are three death checkpoints that you can use if necessary to spawn over and over. Dying doesn't reset the "do the dumb task" part of the quest, you just have to finish the strike.

Also, the hotfix today also provided the much-speculated nerf to Three of Coins, and it's... pretty good? Take it away, Bungie!

• In accordance with forum prophecy, The Three of Coins that Xûr sells are slightly modified:
    • Each of them provides a smaller increase to Exotic Engram drop chance when used in rapid succession
    • When used with more time between kills (for example, on Strike bosses), they remain as effective as before

Seems good to me! Gives more incentive to run the strike playlist for all sorts of loot, and means I'll familiarize myself with some strikes that I most assuredly have ignored (see: Undying Mind last night, which I had never touched before).

Oryx is dead, long live the king. After two nights and many hours (like, 6+) of bashing my head against the last boss in the raid, my group finally managed the execution and went from barely being able to do a single rotation to doing five rotations. Man, so hard but the feeling of beating the raid was so, so good.

If you guys find yourselves wanting for hints/tips on the raid without having to consult videos or guides, let me know or invite me to party chat while you're at it. I had a ton of fun doing a blind run, but my raid group got to a point at the very end where the mechanics were so exact that it really was less fun to play. Like, we had 100% knowledge of the mechanics but for some reason the execution wasn't right because almost invisibly some mechanic has to be done in a very specific way that can only be perceived by tons of failure. Figuring things out is fun, but at a couple moments it came at the expense of stressing us out and losing some serious sleep.

I'm moving next week so I'll be spending most of the weekend packing, but also if you need a sub at some point I can probably spend an hour or two helping out in that way.

Congrats!  I'm excited for tomorrow; even though I think not all of us will be at 290, as long as we hit 280 we should be able to do the first chunk of the raid, and the idea of doing any chunk blind remains very appealing to me. I did Crota and VoG with y'all a bit late to the game, and I'm excited to do King's Fall "on time."

Yeah, nice job! I'm glad to hear that this raid is the real deal. I don't expect us to finish but I'm hopeful we can figure out and clear a few sections over the course of the evening. The first time I ran the VoG I kept thinking about how bananas it must have been to figure out what the hell was going on, so I'm very excited.

And good luck with the move, Jon. Moving is its own very special type of hell.

Speaking of the raid II have two questions; Do we want to stream/archive it? And what is everyone planing to play? I'm planing on going Sunsinger for the self rez but if we already have 5 people doing that I can go with stormcaller.

Was planning on running Bubble Bro. I've got Crest of Alpha Lupi as my exotic currently, since Normal Mode should still allow rez. If not, I can invest in Good Ol' St. 14 (I've got the marks on standby).

Fast-res is extremely useful in the raid. Hunters may want to consider picking up Celestial Nighthawk.

Well, I'm definitely running a warlock since it's the only one I've leveled so far. As far as subclass, I figured I'd play it by ear since I'm sure we'll have to modify our loadouts as we figure things out.

Streaming...I'm fine either way, but does it really count as a stream if nobody watches? :P

Streaming...I'm fine either way, but does it really count as a stream if nobody watches? :P

I figured we'd probably put together a best-of video a la the Crota one you did way back when. We'll have to figure out how to get voices to record this time, though. I'm still sad I can't relive Tequila Jon, the Crux Squeal, or all the toothbrush jokes.

Edit: Also, it could be nice to just have an archive of the full thing. Will Twitch let you archive footage if you are a non-paying bottom-feeder?

I was thinking Sunsinger as well, because I will surely die a whole bunch. I have Light Beyond Nemesis, and Jon has made it sounds like that might be good.

Hey Mike, did you mean to do the reschedule for tonight? I'd rather do it on a Friday or Saturday night and also I'm guessing you're not up to 290 yet?

Somewhat related, I finally made my way over to the Court of Oryx yesterday. Man that thing really dumps out engrams on you. I'd definitely recommend hitting that up if you want to get a lot of them quickly.

You can at least start the raid with one or two people below 290. I've become more convinced that high level isn't completely necessary at least for a bulk of the encounters, and really the raid is the most expedient way of leveling faster since all of the drops are 300-310.

So, fun thing, I've got my Titan at 293-5 right now with items that can max INT for Nonstop Bubble Action if I choose to do so. I can roll Defender if we need that, but I'm also working on leveling up my Hunter; currently at 280-ish, and I'm confident I can get that to 290-300 before the end of the week. I've got both Celestial Nighthawk and Crest of Alpha Lupi, Jon advised the former, and fast res is always good. I'll also need to hustle on maxing Nightstalker, but that shouldn't be too hard if I carry on with the Current Plan (grind CoO for a billion hours). I've got what I understand to be all the Necessary Perks anyways (Void Anchor, Vanish In Smoke, Light of the Pack), but it'll be nice to cap that.

I can also roll Sunsinger Warlock, but that's another set of armor to level, and it seems like we have enough of those.

Anyways, who wants to play Court of Oryx for an interminable number of hours tonight?