melmer

Destiny

So Xur is now selling an item called Three of Coins that you can use to boost your chance of getting an exotic engram from "Ultra" enemies like various bosses. You can stack them to increase the odds further. The thing is, once you kill the boss, the buff is gone, but until you pick up the engram (if there is one), the stacking effect remains, so it only takes one more Coin to get back to the max buff effect. So people are doing the technique in the video below to farm exotics. Just leave the engrams on the ground until you are done farming since they persist through respawns.

I'm trying really hard to get my light level high enough for the raid. Are we going to be able to do this if we aren't all at the suggested 290? I'm at 259 so far.

It's (boss battles, at least) essentially impossible if you're underleveled. 290 shouldn't be recommended, it should be minimum/required.

It may be that 290 is a requirement after all. I'm not looking at the game right now and can't confirm.

Side note: Three of Coins doesn't seem to work in Court of Oryx even though those bad guys have the skull next to their name identifying them as Ultras. I guess it makes since as this would be almost as easy as the Draxis exploit.

What do you need to get to 290? an average attack and defense level of 290? Is it the number of goats sacrificed to Xur? Number of fallen I've attached balloons to and sent to my zoo? Is it based on number of times of times I've finished Final Fantasy Tactics? Number of Chao I've spent far to much time raising? Or just the first thing?

yeah the exotic farming basically ruins the end game, waiting for the next exotic should be a surprise, not a cheesed loot drop.

Has anyone tried the raid yet? My group hasn't finshed it yet, but we were up till 5 this morning trying to work it all out.

I don't really think it ruins the end game, they've done a good job gating a lot of content behind quests so some of the absolute best and most attractive exotics aren't in the regular loot table. Also, boss-specific armor drops are really appealing in my mind and those inherently requires a more manual process.

I've tried the raid. We got stuck on the first boss because most of us only just broke the 290 light barrier and not with weapons/armor that were exactly perfect for DPS. We're spending today trying to get our hands on scout rifles and snipers to make it a little easier. I was able to put like 200k damage on the boss while people on my team were pulling 120k and the like.

You can get into the raid at 250 light because you get a 25% damage reduction per 10 light levels below the recommended. So you'd get 100% damage reduction at 250 and the enemies would have their light level shown but would practically one shot you.

I played the raid last night and made it to golgoroth, while the team was in the 280s in light. It's definitely doable up to that point, but I can't speak for beyond since it was late and we kept messing up golgoroth's gaze mechanic. The one theme with the new raid seems to be that there is very little room for error, where even one person going down can lead to a wipe. I'd say don't bother trying the raid until you've finished most of the quests since those seem to give you enough gear to be competitive.

Well that's no fun. I hope they patch that out quickly. 

My haul from about 35 Coins:

Y2 Versions of: Hawkmoon, Suros Regime, Invective, Obsidian Mind, Crest of Alpha Lupi (I really need to start a Hunter), No Backup Plans

Only one new exotic: Hereafter (a Black Hammer-ish exotic)

:P

I'd agree with JonCole that it doesn't really ruin anything. Tons of cool items are gated by other activities and you can only a equip one exotic gun/armor at a time anyway. That being said I would not be surprised (or disappointed) if they patch it to only work on strike bosses or something.

I got the Stag, Y2 Hawkmoon, the Jade Rabbit, and some off-class chests and gloves. Definitely nothing game-breaking. It's nice to have Hawkmoon again, it was my second exotic ever. :')

Man, they're being much more generous with Strange Coins so far. I got something like 50 coins with one day of fairly constant play. Just handing them out left and right as bounty and quest rewards.

My raid group got to Oryx last night and banged our heads against it for a couple hours. Definitely a tough fight requiring almost perfect execution, gonna make another attempt tonight. I won't go on about it in case anyone is trying for a blind run, but suffice it to say that my general advice regarding the raid is that you have a scout rifle, sniper rifle, and rocket launcher/machine gun (sword won't be of much use) ready to go for every boss battle.

Also, even if you don't think you can make it to Oryx the raid is still worth doing. Armor and weapon drops are guaranteed to be more than 300 light, which can definitely help your light level. Plus you get Moldering Shards without even having to kill bosses, which can help you get better loot in the future when the raid is more doable.

Yeah, we got up to oryx, it took us like 15 hours to get to this point trying to figure out the mechanics. We have definitely missed some stuff, there were areas that we noticed things but didn't put 2 and 2 together until later, at which point it was too late.

Oryx though. what a pain, one person goes down and you are screwed. I can't play tonight though so ill have to start again after the reset :D

I have only had one drop up until this point, 300 boots, all the engrams I am getting are decoding to 250-270. Lovely stuff

Edit: the king is dead

Couple of Fun Things I've noticed (some of which may be Common Knowledge from Reddit at this point, but not sure). Under spoilers in case anyone is still trying to Go It Alone/without internet help.

1) Once you've finished the Main Plot on your first character, make a beeline for The Reef and do Petra and Variks' questlines. You'll need Rank 3 in Queen's Wrath, but the reward for this is the Boolean Gemini (née 347 Vesta Dynasty). It's a 290 Scout Rifle with only a level 30 requirement, unlike any other Exotic you buy from the Blueprint Billboard (which are all 40). You can swap that around on your lower level new characters to build up to 40 and complete the main questline super fast, at which point you can get back to swapping guns around like it's 1.2.x.

2) 16 bounty slots means you can just horde things to cash in to power-level guns and classes. Since most exotic guns still have their namesake perks locked at the end (unlike armor), this is worth keeping in mind if you want to max that Bad Juju as fast as possible.

3) Never buy engrams from the cryptarchs. Don't do it. On the other hand, *do* buy the Vanguard Ghost Shell as soon as you're able. When you upgrade and get the "free Wormspore when you pick up engrams" perk, it'll help massively with some endgame exotics.

3a) Try to keep one ghost shell for every planet around. You'll especially want ones for Spinmetal, Helium Filaments, and Relic Iron. Once you hit the point in the Exotic Sword Quest where you have to collect... 10? I think? special materials, the ability to auto-track the points for those is stellar.

3ab) Disregard that if you're a Nightstalker with Keen Scout, you asshole. On that note, if you have a Nightstalker, farm a buttload of Hadium Flakes on that class. You'll need 75 total for the three swords (25 a piece). Any extras are a bonus, since I don't know what else they're used for.

4) Some of the Crucible quests are brutal (kill x dudes with Storm Fist), and I've found the best way to do all of them is just play the daily playlist. You'll get an influx of mild to medium good players who are just getting their marks for the day, and you can usually get away with dumb garbage like focusing on melee/sword kills. I picked up 8 sword kills in a single game of Rift this morning after grabbing heavy and just sitting at the Spark spawn point.

I'm probably going to put up a game on the100 for helping each other with some of the dumb final steps for the class quests (3 7-Orb Fists of Havoc). Maybe we'll go streaking!

I'm probably going to put up a game on the100 for helping each other with some of the dumb final steps for the class quests (3 7-Orb Fists of Havoc). Maybe we'll go streaking!

I would like that. Took me three pub strikes to finish up the defender one (get 30 warded kills across the entire fireteam), which, like, come on. And doing the more demanding ones would be pretty tough without some coordination.

Some additional protips - 

1. Decrypt engrams one at a time. If you receive a weapon/armor piece with higher light than what you currently have equipped, equip it before decrypting more. Light level of decrypted gear is determined partially by your current light level, so maximize it as much as possible before decrypting.
  2. Transfer your highest level weapons and ghost between characters whenever switching. This'll help maximize light level so that all decryptions are most efficient.
  3. Save legendary armor engrams on your main character once you get legendary armor pieces you're happy with. Transfer these engrams to secondary characters. Since you can infuse legendaries, there's not a whole lot of reason to have more than a couple legendary armor pieces per slot on your main character unless you really want pieces suited to each subclass.
  4. Save high light blues for infusion on your secondary characters. Additionally, if you happen to get duplicates of exotics, keep in mind that they can be used for infusion that might still be useful on secondary characters even if your main is over 280 light.

I would like that. Took me three pub strikes to finish up the defender one (get 30 warded kills across the entire fireteam), which, like, come on. And doing the more demanding ones would be pretty tough without some coordination.

Here it is! I've set up for the Heroic List, but we can drop down to regular if people want (edit: dropped down for peak farming, but we can bump for quests). If tomorrow is too soon, I'd be happy to push to Thursday/Friday. Saturday is still tentative raid day if all six of us can get to 290. I'm at 281 right now, so I'm making (I hope) good time.

Here it is! I've set up for the Heroic List, but we can drop down to regular if people want (edit: dropped down for peak farming, but we can bump for quests). If tomorrow is too soon, I'd be happy to push to Thursday/Friday. Saturday is still tentative raid day if all six of us can get to 290. I'm at 281 right now, so I'm making (I hope) good time.

This is good because I have the "run five heroic strikes" quest sitting there and didn't want to run with pubbies, plus the voidwalker & sunsinger generate orbs quests (plus the petra quest which apparently I should really get finished!).

Another option for what you guys can do to farm plus complete the Court of Oryx quest from Eris is all match up in the same patrol instance and run Court together - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3lubqa/spoilers_sga_guarantee_a_fireteam_of_6_for_court/

If you have 5-6 people that are coordinated in two fireteams, Court can go by INCREDIBLY quickly and level 3 is infinitely easier to complete. Engrams will drop like crazy.

Time-sensitive (maybe) exotic weapon quest spoilers -

The Black Spindle is available today (perhaps any time, it's still unclear to me whether or not this has to be completed while today's Heroic quest is in place) and worth grabbing, it's the exotic version of Black Hammer. Check out this guide on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3m2d8o/exotic_sniper_black_spindle_black_hammer_year_2_a/

Time-sensitive (maybe) exotic weapon quest spoilers -

The Black Spindle is available today (perhaps any time, it's still unclear to me whether or not this has to be completed while today's Heroic quest is in place) and worth grabbing, it's the exotic version of Black Hammer. Check out this guide on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3m2d8o/exotic_sniper_black_spindle_black_hammer_year_2_a/

Uh so, who wants to do this tonight?