melmer

Destiny

I was secretly hoping that one of their TTK reveals would be an in-game grimoire viewer. Someday...

As it is, grimoire is only useful for trolling your friends about how pathetic their noob tier score is and post-patch the score is no longer displayed under a person's name so the value somehow lessens even more.

I really wanted to do the Crucible thing tonight but for some reason my console did a hard shutdown instead of going to sleep last night, so I still have an hour to go on the patch (by which point I'll be asleep). Have fun!

So I was doing bounty stuff on Mars, and Ghost started saying something about a scrambled transmission. After a few seconds, I get a side mission notification that says "First Mystery." It became a three-step mission, with the objectives slowly descrambling as time went on/I started doing the required actions. Then it just ended and I didn't get any more info on what the hell it was for. Is this a new thing, or have thing like this been around for a while?

Specifics (for your Ghost):

The first step eventually became "BLOW HEADS OFF" and was completed after a certain number of critical kills. Second was "MASTER DANCE FLOOR," which completed by doing the dance emote. Then "ORBS OF LIGHT GENERATED." I think the overall mission ended up being called "Red Connection," or something like that.

It's a new thing. There are randomly spawned chains of quests that you can find in the environment similar to the way you mention.

Some random thoughts from a few hours of playtime in both PvE and PvP

-All the UI improvements are a dramatic improvement (quest screen, bounty tracking, etc). The quest progression also seems much better.

-Rift seems very chaotic with pubbies. Maybe due to the newness of the mode, but right now a 6-man team could probably dominate.

-The new map in the Europe Dead Zone seems very cramped. Not sure I'm a fan. I like the other two though.

-Shotguns one hit kill range still seems too big in PvP. I suppose in Trials/Iron Banner this won't matter since the new guns probably won't have the same range+perks, but in vanilla crucible, I see Matadors hanging around for quite a while.

-I had a hard time being successful with an AR in PvP. Might be due to my shitty aim? The damage buff was very noticeable in PvE though so at least they are viable there now. Also the buffs to Hard Light make it kinda bananas.

-The direction they've given to the Lord Shaxx voice actor has obviously changed. The contrast between his old, matter-of-fact dialogue and the high energy, urgent new lines is really noticeable. I like the new stuff though...goes well with the general tone of Crucible.

Rift - yeah, this definitely seems to be in the same league of salvage where the objectives really are critically important and the games are prone to bad pub play. I rolled with a 6-person fireteam and we did some work in a few games, got our mercy rule on the second match we played. I like how appling is no longer a thing, it keeps you in the pipe and just resets who you matchmake with rather than kicking you out of the queue.

New maps - hard to really remember which map you're talking about, I would say in general that the new maps really mess around with different elevations, different ways to switch between lanes, etc far more than vanilla/HoW maps. Not a ton of really long sniper lanes in any of the maps, which is kinda interesting. Also, I think there are either 4-5 new maps with Rift and then when Mayhem comes out on the 11th there are a handful more.

Shotguns - yeah, still quite good. I did counter fairly often with auto rifles due to blink cooldown nerf + range nerf on shotguns. Lots of people rushing me head-on and me burning them to the ground.

ARs - I found that high ROF, high stability ARs were most effective, the Low Down is quite good with the right perks. Hard Light is pretty solid and I found Necrochasm to be not bad at all.

I had a great time playing rift last night. The whole game getting an overhaul makes it seem so fresh, but as above, I will miss the wolves, such fun hunting out the chests

Managed to get the moments of triumph today, glad it was extended a few days.

Got my first phantom medal yesterday, 7 kills without taking any damage. Also, Necrochasm and Vestian are OP -

Cuf1tP8.png

Definitely try the different Crucible modes, I saw maps on Control and Rumble that I hadn't seen once on Rift. Seems like there is some crossover between map availability between playlists but also some that are limited to only one.

Crossroads is The Longest Yard from Quake 3.

They remade The Longest Yard in Destiny.

I finally got a chance to check out the version 2 changes, and I'm really impressed so far.  Some of the new exotic perks on weapons and armor seem like they will allow for much more varied play styles or spawn new ones that weren't available before.

I recently went back to basic destiny after hating the leveling and story mission structure. I was level 8 when I quit, and now I'm level 30 and just got to experience Vault of Glass, the first raid. Game is so much better after the changes, at least in terms of leveling. I can't say much for any of the other end game stuff because I won't have the DLC until my copy of the taken king shows up, but as a beginner the game is fun now and I no longer regret the purchase.

If anybody wants to show me some of the PvE ropes when taken king releases and I get caught up to other players feel free to add me on PSN - Warrior_irme.

Spork, I joined your game as a reserve. My move that was supposed to happen last week got all jacked up and I'm going to be moving this week, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get on tonight or what.

I added a blind King's Fall run for next weekend, which I figure will probably be enough time for everyone to get relatively kitted out. If not, I can reschedule it for another weekend.

Hey Donosar, we've generally been using the100.io to schedule games. You're welcome to join and try posting some games for early content or whatever. Here is the link for the group.

Oh man I've been super curious to try a blind raid out. The previous two raids were pretty much solved by the time I got to them (who remembers the glory days of pushing the Templar and Atheon off the ledge btw?). If we don't finish it's no big deal to me. I just want to actually try and puzzle things out for once.

Remember that unlike Prison of Elders, this raid has checkpoints. So you can get to a stopping point and as long as you come back to it before reset, you can resume where you left off. So if everyone's schedules work out, you can do it over a couple days on the weekend. That said, I've already got a raid group so I'll have to pass.

You guys check out this Legend of You promotion? It's clearly marketing but it's still cool nonetheless. Here's the video for my Warlock -

It's neat, but I'd be more interested in a page with all the stats those tidbits are culled from. Despite only playing regularly for about 2 of the last 12 months, I'm in the top 1% players for number of public events completed.

I'd mainly just like to know how the names are determined. INVISIBLE LORDKORAX THE SHATTERER sounds cool, but I have no idea where it comes from.

So uh (Exotic Quest Spoilers)

We all agree The Chaperone quest is hot garbage, right? Like, the worst parts of Thorn and Invective put together. It's absolutely abhorrent for anyone who doesn't PvP regularly, and it's hilariously (frustratingly) fitting that in order to get a new shotgun, you have to brave the storm of Felwinter's Lies and Matador 64s.

Just... gross.

I don't... really understand why a PvP-specific bounty is inherently bad. If you don't like to participate in PvP, then don't. If you played enough PvP once to get Invective, you can just get the Year 2 version and have a perfectly good exotic shotgun with no further suffering.

I'm still working on the meat of the campaign right now (real bummer having this job thing), but so far this expansion has been really good. The storytelling is way better, the new gun designs are cool, and the new Warlock subclass is super fun. I haven't even had a chance to play the new strikes or explore the Dreadnaught yet. I've had a hard time sharding my old gear though...I'm too sentimental.

I picked this up last night after quitting the game for a bit, and I am right back in.  The new heroic strike playlist is fantastic--the strikes have a lot of variation and more importantly they aren't a guaranteed win.  The loot changes with infusion are such a great addition, the dreadnaught has a lot more going on, really just improvements across the board.  The new content seems to have an incredible emphasis on movement, particularly with the boss fights, and the taken's combination of enemies makes the game much more dynamic.  Really only some minor complaints so far, but I don't think they're really worth mentioning.  If you're on the fence about the expansion but liked the promise of year one, go ahead and pick it up.

I don't... really understand why a PvP-specific bounty is inherently bad. If you don't like to participate in PvP, then don't. If you played enough PvP once to get Invective, you can just get the Year 2 version and have a perfectly good exotic shotgun with no further suffering.

I think what bugs me is that it seems infinitely more difficult than Invective. The 1% gain vs. 2% death is nasty, and I feel that Invective's 1:1 tradeoff is better than the killstreak/deathstreak method. Part of it is undoubtably that I am still acclimating to the new maps (and part of it is general whining about Cool New Guns), but Stage 1 is just whoopin' me right now.

It's definitely Day One whining, though.

So in order to get swords and and that fusion rifle that goes in the heavy slot you have to wonder the dreadnought and find junk, so I thought I'd set up an event to go do that with other people. I figure it'll be more fun that way.

When I finally got to the Dreadnaught for the first time last night, I had to stop everything I was doing so I could just stare out at Saturn and its rings for about a solid 5 minutes. The lightning flashes in Saturn's clouds and all of the little detail in the backgrounds is absolutely beautiful. I did this same thing when I originally arrived on Venus as well with that volcano in the background.

The background art in Destiny never ceases to amaze me and it evokes such a strong sense of wonderment.