melmer

Destiny

Some interesting stuff in the weekly update.

Nightfalls:

-No more XP buff

-No more dumping to orbit on wipe

-30 second death timer.

Weekly Heroic Strikes are gone and replaced with a Heroic Strike playlist that awards Legendary Marks (which are account wide now).

No complaints here. Seems like they're removing the more annoying elements of these activities. I am curious what they replace that XP boost with.

BTW for those not in the 100.io group, I was going to try and do a newbie Vault of Glass run this Sunday if anyone is interested.

The other Big Takeaway from the Weekly Update is that it's confirmed that 2.0 drops on September 8th. It'll be interesting to see exactly what's enabled and what's not.

Well who am I going to talk about my Ansem/Xehanort slashfiction with now?!

On a more serious note there's two people signed up for the skolas event so hopefully between me and Mechanations we can find one more if no one signs up.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get a skolas match going (stupid iron banner, ruining all my fun!) right now so I'm gonna hop on around six my time, about five and a half hours from now, and see if anyone wants to give it a go. And if that doesn't work and I'll try again tomorrow. If you're interested let me know on here as I'm not going to bother putting an event up this close to when it would start.

If you're on later tonight, around 10 pm your time I think, I might be down to join you. I only have one Skolas victory under my belt and wouldn't mind having another go.

I want to say thanks to Zeus and his friend Zasa for the help with Skolas tonight! It was surprisingly easy, at least compared to what I expected. And if somebody else needs to get it done I'd be happy to help but you'll need to already have a fully upgraded Gally as I'm not going to have time to get mine fully upgraded and this is definitely something that needs at least two. I hate to be the guy who says you need to have one, but if you want to get it done in timely fashion you kinda do.

What do you even do with the Gjallarhorn? I've never used it on Skolas and I didn't have a problem with him. How long does it take you using it?

I guess it was more the round before that where you need to take out the guy before he reaches all the check points. It felt like it was really the only way to take him out without getting overwhelmed with adds. I'm sure you could do it without it, I just don't know that you'd do it quickly. But yeah the skolas fight itself seems pretty doable this week if nothing else.

For that round I used stealth to wait for him, then blasted him with a shotgun. It's even easier with two hunters on him. You can also use a Titan with Saint-14 to blind him with a bubble as he reaches the checkpoint.

Did my third Skolas run tonight, the hardest time I've had with it. I was going through with two friends who needed the triumph so I was happy to help, even if it took over three hours. We ended up doing the right side strategy, with two people behind the barricades and me on the bottom hiding by the sword captain doors. I think that's how I'd do it next time, it seems simpler than rotating between different points.

Funny story, after two and a half hours taking down Skolas, we finally get back to the airlock and my friend goes "It'd have been easier if I had maxed weapons!" I inspect her, she's got 331s.

3ieDtwi.gif

It's almost as if the game is designed to reward ceaseless, mindless grinding instead of casual exploration of what little content is there.

Hypothetical: how many people are in the Idle Thumbs clan and would like to give Flawless Raider a shot? I was wondering if we could do normal VoG next Sunday.

I'd be up for it but I think if we're going to do we need to do it was a weekly thing where we practice doing it for however long every weekend. It also might be worth waiting to make a serious go of it after Taken King as the added levels will likely make it easier to do. But yeah I'd be willing to give it a go next Sunday, but I'll need an invite to the clan.

There are some important things in the recent weekly update for people to know: https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13453

Patch 2.0 is out on tuesday and it's going to change a bunch of things, mostly for the better. The one negative is that the Prowling Wolves public events are going away, so if you've missed any of these Grimoire cards then this is your last chance to get them! Also if you haven't done your Triumphs yet then the deadline has been extended to the 14th, so you get one more week to finish them.

What I'm most excited about is that the new Crucible maps are going to be available one week early! All the new maps and two of the modes are going to be playable from the 8th to the 14th for everybody (even if you haven't bought the expansion), and I'm so fucking excited to play them.

I'm still knee deep in the MGSV trenches, but I'll be booting up Destiny tonight/this afternoon to check some of the updates. Pretty excited to see what the Exotic Wall shows.

Well that's disappointing. So even if I buy The Taken King when it comes out, I won't be able to get all the content : (

Patch notes are up! https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13474

Immediately relevant goodies from me and Mike Danger that made us go "eeeeeeeeeee":

Intellect, Strength, and Discipline now only change their effect in fixed tiers Intellect, Strength, and Discipline stats now display their tier and the exact duration of the effect on the tooltip in the Character Screen

Defender - Line attacks (Fist of Havoc Shockwave and Arc Blade Razor’s Edge) can now no longer penetrate Ward of Dawn

Gunslinger Golden Gun Damage increased (350 -> 360) to ensure it consistently killed opponents in the Crucible

Blink Strike now does Arc Damage Arc Bolt grenades

(Thermal and Arc) damage reduced by 25% to 75 damage

Armor Bonus perk "Strength of the Ram" (found on exotic helmet, The Ram) has been reduced (5->3)

Blink movement ability activation delay increased by 0.07 seconds (0.26 seconds to 0.33 seconds)

Blink movement ability visuals now changed to better telegraphing direction: clearer activation FX and trail FX

Fixed an issue where Sunsingers who self-resurrected from Fireborn were given a free orb upon respawn

Fireborn Sunsingers must now successfully kill to spawn orbs

All Stable (low recoil) Pulse Rifles (i.e., Hopscotch Pilgrim) now use "Medium" Rate-of-Fire base stats

Hawkmoon - Luck in the Chamber and Holding Aces perks now have a stacking limit of 2. Only 2 of the bonus damage perks will ever stack, which should eliminate the Hawkmoon 1-hit PVP kill to an undamaged opponent

Bad Juju Stability increased to compensate for global Pulse Rifle changes

Burn (Arc, Void, Solar) Skulls now only increases player damage by 2x (down from 3x). Combatant damage to player is unchanged at 3x

"Fixed an issue where Rate of Fire and Impact stats were displayed incorrectly. Stat values were not changed, UI display only" (Red Death, this is the greatest patch note ever)

Fixed an issue where "Medic" and "Blast Shield" PVP medals displayed while playing PVE activities

Super icons in kill messages are now displayed in yellow

Added icons to kill messages for precision kills

Super kill messages now display the name of the Super used

Glimmer Consumable drop rates reduced drastically from the Arena ches

Year Two Weapon Telemetries have now been combined per weapon slot instead of per weapon type

Maps - Widow’s Court - Added invisible physics to keep players from hiding in the ivy overlooking the courtyard Heavy Ammo

What do you mean, Dewar?

This quote:

The one negative is that the Prowling Wolves public events are going away, so if you've missed any of these Grimoire cards then this is your last chance to get them!

means that I won't be able to get all the Grimoire cards if I buy the Taken King disc, since I don't already own Destiny right now.

It's hard to say if that'll be true, they're taking out the prowling wolves but in the patch notes it also suggests that there will be new weekly quests of some sort to get reputation for that faction. I wouldn't be very surprised if the missions also could reward that grimoire via staged fights with those enemies, this would be the first time that they denied grimoire score via the removal of old content.

Also, this is a purely personal assessment but grimoire is barely "content". You can read the descriptions of each of the lore items from the grimoire cards but you can get that via a wiki, and otherwise all they serve to do is provide a numeric assessment of your commitment to inflating that number. It's like achievement score.

Despite my logical mind knowing that it's all just meaningless tat, my heart is still driven by achievements and completionism.

I totally understand that. I've been grinding grimoire for the past couple weeks, I'm at 3575/3665.