melmer

Destiny

Yeah, I'm as confused as ever about how weapons are going to work in TK. I can't say I'm going to miss Gjallarhorn though; its only purpose has been to skip bossfights and buy your way into shitty LFG parties. I mean even in terms of exotics it was pretty crap, the only thing that made it special was that it was a rocket launcher that did more damage than other rocket launchers. That's not a very imaginative perk compared to the other exotics. A game like this only suffers when people hang onto one specific weapon over all others.

My personal theory is that they'll eventually update it and it'll be a big news tick that will pop up on Kotaku in between expansions. Same goes for any other Y1 exotics not being updated, but obviously Gjallarhorn is so popular that I think they'd be stupid to pass up on that.

Via the weekly update, Gjallarhorn will remain a year 1 exotic. I'm still confused though as to why they would even go through the bother of nerfing it if it isn't going to scale to year 2 stats. Makes me think and hope that there is more to be revealed at some point.

Also, fuck Xur.

Maybe for PVP? If level advantage is disabled you could still presumably use it.

I don't think rocket launchers in PvP even use level advantage, I think they all just blow you up. In any case it's not a great choice for PvP, there are better rocket launchers and better exotics.

I mean in theory they would in Trials/Iron Banner, but it would probably still be Dumb to use a rocket launcher that doesn't have Grenades and Horseshoes. Speaking of, I really want to see how "nerfed" that perk is, because it's effectively a requirement at this point.

As for exotics, I think it's a safe bet to assume they'll all be brought over eventually. The raid weapons are obviously the biggest question here, and everyone is playing the "WELL WHAT'S THE POINT OF THE RAIDS IF THEY STAY YEAR 1 BUNGIE PLS" card, but I think the point remains that they're *fun*, and I think it would still be a blast running "raid weapons only/Y1 level only" runs with new players who are coming in with TTK. Or in general! I've enjoyed all the raids I've done with Thumbs Folk, even if it's not some flawlessly executed montage-worthy masterpiece.

Is there a quick way to gain crucible rep? I've managed to get to rank 2 of the vanguard easily, but it seems that the match length and low rep rewards from crucible are making it really hard to get the last 1500 rep I need to buy the crucible armour.

Having said that though, it'll probably be easier to get the extra 50 vanguard marks and buy another bit of armour from them. That'll get me pushed to level 31,

Dragon strikes have been pretty helpful for gear though, managed to get a 36 light arm set out of that and a couple of purple weapons.

Bounties are the easiest way to get rep, other than just playing a ton of it. The bounties on some days are better than others, but three days of handing in bounties should be enough to get you up a full level.

I got my internet hooked back up this weekend, and realized A Thing.

Bungie has made a big point out of "don't dismantle your guns." I'm gonna change that to "don't dismantle *any* legendaries unless you're capped." If they do in fact shard into Legendary Marks, that's quick marks right out of the gate, which in turn means Sweet Guns to replace all the One/One's hoarding your vault space. I used to do the old "grind up the blues for parts" thing, but I've started sharding all of them immediately to make room for any purples that appear (I'm finishing the Bad Juju and Invective bounties right now, so I'm spending a lot of time in the Crucible, and getting a lot of purples as a result).

Also, if you're not hurting for glimmer/parts/upgrade mats, keep your inventory full while playing so all your legendaries go to the postmaster. You'll only miss out on green items and all blue/purple engrams and items will be saved automagically. You can leave them there until TTK and save the vault space.

Just be careful, because once the postmaster fills up, any new items will bump out the oldest ones.

But I don't think Year One legendaries will dismantle to marks, based on this quote in their last update:

How can I earn Legendary Marks?
  • By completing Daily Story Chapters, Weekly Heroic Strikes, and Daily PVP Activities
  • By dismantling Year Two Legendary items – assuming you don’t have the maximum value of 200 Legendary Marks associated with your player account

So the only reason I can figure they are saying to not dismantle things is that they will figure into your light level when TTK launches. In the same update as that quote they specifically say they will calculate your level based on your gear, so it's possible armor alone won't determine your starting value.

Now I feel like a dingus for not reading clearly enough. And if I recall correctly, they won't be usable for Infusion, either, since you need to use a higher/equivalent level item for that. My goof! Jon's advice is super solid though; any legendary engrams will probably dismantle to Year 2 guns/gear when TTK drops, so it's best to keep those around and not decrypt them.

Bungie put out a wee trailer for the twitch stream tomorrow, mostly it's notable because we finally get to hear Nolan North!

Glad to hear they don't have him doing his Nathan Drake Voice  :tup: 

I watched the previous stream, but I'll probably skip out on this one. I think it will be more fun to go into the new zone blind. I'm sure there will be a list of important takeaways as soon as it's done anyway.

Yeah, I'm interested in if they address Artifacts, since they didn't last stream. But I absolutely want no info on the Dreadnought, I want to explore that for myself.

Alright I made an event on The 100 for Skolas this Saturday so if anybody still needs to do that and is the right level join up! And if anyone wants to join can't come at that time let me know and I'll see if I can move it. That'll be on a first come first serve basis though.

I'd like to have someone who's done it before in the group anyways. And I'm willing to run it again if anyone else needs help so if enough people want to do it we just set up another group.

I did the vault of glass last night for the first time. Quite a bit of hitting a brick wall but the vault itself was a beautiful looking area. Need to power level up to 34 to do crota et al now.

Shame my VoG armour drops were of a lower light level than what I had already bought from the vanguard.

I left a video on in the background (so sound only) of the new Strike to get a feel for Nolandroid's dialogue on a greater scale.

It's pretty good! I like it a lot, but I continue to stick with everyone's idea that Dinklebot should be some sort of Y1 reward Ghost Shell. Fillion is doing an exceptional amount of voice work too, and I think Bungie has officially stopped pretending and gone "look just be Mal okay"

How do you get etheric light? My understanding is that it is a random nightfall drop and level 34 and 35 prison of elders.

Seems like you really need to punch above your weight to get it...

Nightfall - random drop, 1 possible per character per week

Iron Banner - rank 3 and 5 rewards, 5000 glimmer each, 2 per character per Iron Banner event

Level 34 and 35 POE - one guaranteed at the end of each, 2 per character per week

Trials of Osiris - 6 win, 8 win, and flawless chest, 3 per character per week

Generally recommended that you get to level 34 via Armor Cores and IB/NF etheric, then you farm the other end-game content for etheric to upgrade other armor and weapons.