melmer

Destiny

Hmm, all this talk of a regular leveling curve sounds pretty good. I'm thinking about maybe picking this up for the first time when Taken King comes out (XB1 unfortunately, so I won't be able to raid with people around here.) I wonder if there's going to be any solid improvements to the storyline when they re-record. I've heard them say the script isn't changing, but then I've heard in other places there will be additional cutscenes?

I'd be up for the VoG run, assuming you don't mind having someone who hasn't really played in about 8 months.

That run was a lot more fun though I'm sad we couldn't get Korax's mic working. I think, I could never really tell.

And I even got my Fatebringer! Which is great for the next 3-ish weeks before that gun is basically useless.

Yeah, I don't think it ever completely worked, even after I did some tweaking in my router settings to try and fix the NAT issue my PS4 claimed I had.

I went through the expansion content that I've been ignoring, got into PoE, and got enough Strange Coins to buy that Gjallerhorn. Whether or not it will see any use is another matter.

That run was a lot more fun though I'm sad we couldn't get Korax's mic working. I think, I could never really tell.

And I even got my Fatebringer! Which is great for the next 3-ish weeks before that gun is basically useless.

It was Super Good Times. That was only my fourth VoG run of any sort, and I finally felt like I knew what I was doing. And I got a Gjallarhorn, which would have been more exciting if I hadn't just bought it the day before. It shall become the game's most rare and powerful exotic shard.

I had a good time with aprettycooldude and Mike Danger running PoE32 Friday night, too. We used JonCole's super-good Super Good Advice advice to break Quodron's shield more effectively (shots against the shield don't count as having hit their target, and thus mostly get returned to your magazine). And the resulting armor core allowed me to finally hit 34, albeit in the ugliest way possible (my titan now has a giant paperclip safety pin hanging off her shoulder).

Speaking of POE does anyone feel like taking a stab at a Skolas run today? It doesn't look like it's got the best modifiers but I don't know that it ever really does and I'm running out of time to do it.

Sigh, it had to be lightswitch on Skolas this week didn't it? I'll have to hope for a better modifier next week I guess. At least it'll give me time to level my Fatebringer and Gjallerhorn.

Hey, here's a thought. How do we want to handle *spoilers* for the next couple of weeks? I know some people are trying to avoid any details about TTK so they can experience it blind, do we want to tag all livestream reveals with spoilers? Just plot? I just realized this since we're 20 minutes out from the first new deluge of info.

I assume we'll run spoiler tags on the plot of TTK itself when it comes out for a week or two, but I could be wrong there. I am unfamiliar with the policy around these parts.

8/19 TTK Stream Highlights:

• Light Level is grandfathered into TTK, so if you're 34 now you're 34 in TTK before LL is involved. Light Level is now dictated by an average of the attack/defense values of all your armor/weapons, as well as the rating on your ghost shell which is a new piece of equipment. Level dictates what stuff you can equip, light level dictates your efficacy in battle.
  • Ghost Shells are sold by the Speaker (and presumably earned via loot?) and give PvE bonuses like making spirit bloom glow more in world.
  • The consumable that boosts your level to 25 on new characters is procured from the postmaster on your first visit to the tower.
  • Twice as many bounties are able to be held at once, various vendors give bounties now like the Shaxx and the Crucible quartermaster. Their bounties are weekly and Shaxx gives you a "Nightfall-caliber" reward for completing all this weekly bounties.
  • Armor pieces now let you switch between bonuses, like more ammo capacity for hand cannons OR more ammo for auto rifles. They also provide defensive bonuses, like reducing the effect of elemental burn modifiers, reducing damage from certain damage types, etc.
  • Ships, shaders, and emblems can be added to "collections" that allow you to rebuy them at any point in the future. As a result, if you get a ship or shader from a faction reward package it is then removed from their loot table meaning there is no risk of getting the same super-rare drop twice and you get a higher chance at getting what you want as you progress.
  • Exotic blueprints allow you to essentially register your exotic weapons and armor and rebuy them at your leisure using exotic shards.
  • Year 2 exotics consist of updated Year 1 exotics and completely new items. You get access to Y2 versions of Y1 weapons out of the gate, for instance if you already have Light Beyond Nemesis you can get access to the TTK LBN without having to complete a quest or find the blueprint in-game.
  • Year 2 exotics get their signature perks as intrinsic perks, meaning you don't need to level up Y2 Light Beyond Nemesis to get fast-res or the like.
  • Year 1 exotics are really only going to be useful to characters at character levels similar to current light levels, for instance Suros Year 1 was 160 damage and Suros Year 2 was 280 damage.
  • Twice as much vault space!

I'm not digging the limit on marks or the fact some some exotic aren't coming over (yet anyways) and I'm not sure how I feel about Class Marks and Ghosts being yet another piece of gear I have to grind for, but other then that this seems like across the board improvements.

The limit on marks is just your wallet though. There's no weekly limit anymore, so just spend what you got and keep going. And though I agree to some extent on the new gear, the perks for them seem pretty cool.

One thing wrt Year 1 exotics that's not entirely clear to me is if the 160 damage is their max or just the base, because they still have attack bubbles to fill, right?

And assuming they're stuck at 160, then the fact that there's no Year 2 version of Gjallarhorn means Xur is the World's Greatest Troll.

Interesting theory on the DTG subreddit is that if you have ALL level 40 gear except for one piece of Year 1 stuff, your light level is only reduced by 14 which is a 5% damage decrease. So, you could potentially use Gjallarhorn or Fatebringer or whatever and barely have a noticeable difference in your gameplay. If that math follows how it actually works in-game, you may be able to use a piece of old stuff here or there in 99% of content unless it's overleveled (like, if they have level 41 enemies in endgame content as a way of making things harder like they did in raids/Skolas in Year 1).

I don't think it's particularly clear that the new light level system will be perfectly analogous to the current level systems rules with regards to penalties and such, which is why I said it was a theory. In any case, if they actually intend to let new missions and quests fill out the progression from level 20 -> 40, old weapons should presumably be effective in the level 20->34 content if the continuum of damage values is even roughly analogous to the level progression.

I'm watching the Twitch broadcast, and they keep referring to year one as "Destiny 1," and it has me wondering what the plan is in terms of traditional franchise sequels. I'm hoping this is the game forever, in that they have the platform and they plan to just keep updating it until it stops making money a la WoW.

So in a moment of stupidity/great foresight, i bought the version that allows you to download all the old stuff. Now to grind out year one content.

Any ideas if the moments of triumph that I already have will carry over?

So in a moment of stupidity/great foresight, i bought the version that allows you to download all the old stuff. Now to grind out year one content.

Any ideas if the moments of triumph that I already have will carry over?

Unfortunately, progress only carries over from the same console brand to the next, like PS3 -> PS4. It'll take a fair amount of grinding to get everything you'd need for the Triumph in time, but I don't think it's impossible by any means.

Let me know if you need any help. Also, my offer to join my PS4 clan is still open to all. It's not particularly unusual to find people running HM VOG/CE on almost every night, so it could be a good way to snag the organizationally harder-to-get triumph things. It may also be possible with the folks around here, but several people have suggested that they're going to spin down their playtime in the run up to TTK as not to get burned out.

That's a shame, but not unexpected I guess.

To be honest I think the ones I already have will be the hardest, I'm not sure where I will be able to fit 100 crucible wins in around doing all the other stuff.

Yeah, I'll probably join the clan to get the ones that require a group, I'm going to try and grind through the story this weekend, hopefully that will get me to a decent enough level, strikes or buy from the vanguard to get to 34? Then plot through the raids and multiplayer.

Looking at it, the multiplayer is bugged so you might not need 100. But still it's a lot of games to win.

I'd recommend leveling up through Crucible if you like PvP well enough, the XP rewards are solid and you can easily get to level 20 in a 4-5 hours. Plus, when you get access to marks you'll probably get your 100 weekly marks just getting to level 20.

After hitting the level cap, when you get engrams from doing story content you can decode them for gear that you actually need to increase your light level. Also, you can play the higher difficulties in the story levels to get higher XP gains, which can help you quickly level blue/purple armor/weapons.

Once you finish all the high level story missions and turn in your Crucible marks for a single chest/leg light level 36 armor piece, you should be a high enough level to run Dragon Strikes which have the highest chance of dropping legendary items/engrams. Do that until you hit max Vanguard marks and buy one more piece of that light 36 armor.

Once you get through The Dark Below content, you get rewarded a legendary arm piece that should raise your light level by a fair bit. Then run HoW content and there's a very good chance you'll get more or better goodies throughout, including the guaranteed exotic that drops from the first big treasure chest in POE 28.

As soon as you hit a high enough level to run Nightfall, let me know and I can carry you through it. You can hit level 32 solely on light 36 armor, at that point we can run POE for armor cores.

Ah cheers, that's much appreciated, I'll let you know when I get to a position to do a nightfall. That's also a good point about levelling up first in crucible. I had heard people saying that that is a more efficient method, but I didn't realise it affected what you got from the story content.

Your guide seems like it will put me in a good position, thanks for taking the time to spell it out.

I'm also happy to help on the weekends so send me a friend request (with a message telling me who you are on here) and feel free to send me a party chat invite when you see me on. :D

Will do, my name is the same as on here but I'll let you know I got your id off of here.

The 100 cruicible wins is a bit of a joke, I won 4 matches in the little time I got to play tonight, it's counting me at 24. Ez etc.

I played a little of the story to unlock the cruicible and was having a great time blasting the low level enemies. I had forgotten about the wolves though. All these little guys then suddenly a level ?? Steps out of nowhere and knocks me into next week. Ha.

Via the weekly update, Gjallarhorn will remain a year 1 exotic. I'm still confused though as to why they would even go through the bother of nerfing it if it isn't going to scale to year 2 stats. Makes me think and hope that there is more to be revealed at some point.

Also, fuck Xur.