melmer

Destiny

I'm gonna ask the obvious question: Why Hard Light? Is there something I'm missing about it? From all accounts, it is not a very good weapon for Crucible no matter what. There are other "bad exotic primaries" that can be viable with the right loadout/practice (No Land Beyond, Universal Remote, Suros with a solid secondary backup), but since Hard Light is an auto rifle with a questionable exclusive perk (essentially just Skip Rounds since you're not firing at clusters), I'm curious how you'd run it. Aggressive Ballistics and Fitted Stock to maximize the bottom half of the magazine and Glass Half Full?

Edit: I know the answer could very well be "for leveling" or "why not," but I'm just curious if there's something I'm missing on a Higher Level.

Because Hard Light is fun. Auto Rifles are generally not viable, but the recoil pattern, sights, and magazine of Hard Light basically make it the best one available. I'd say it beats Suros at least in how I use it, I think Hard Light's continual hail of bullets causes more disorientation and I think that the stability/fire rate of Suros is deceptive because it makes you think you can use it at range but any HC/Pulse/Scout outclasses it. And yes, I run Aggressive + Fitted Stock. Same thing is basically true with Fusion Rifles (almost always inferior to shotguns) and Corrective Measure (BTRD or Jolder's is technically better for PvP in terms of TTK).

I just like running weapons that aren't conventionally good/aren't in the meta because it forces me to practice my positioning, situational awareness, and gunskill.

This week's Nightfall is Winter's Run (the Archon Priest/A CELL FROM THE PRISON OF ELDERS strike) with Arc Burn, Solar Burn, and Small Arms. I put up a game for 7:30 Eastern if anyone wants to knock some of these out. (I've heard that with the burns on, you can blast out Aksor pretty quick, so hopefully we can blow right through these and pick up some loot!)

FWIW Mike Danger, my luck appears to have run out this week (I ran PoE 28 on my Titan this morning and received - I kid you not - just strange coins and motes from the bathtub), so I won't be hogging all the Thunderlords and Dry Rots :)

Is Dry Rot any better than something like Found Verdict? I ask because I got an arc one not long ago, compared them and sharded it :P. The perks definitely weren't great and at this point I don't feel like wasting weapon parts on rerolls.

Dry Rot is basically like a mini-Fourth Horseman that's extremely well suited to PvE. The reload speed is obscene and you can roll for full auto to annihilate anything in front of you with it's crazy DPS. Plus, you can roll it into Void/Solar, unlike Fourth Horseman/Found Verdict.

Dry Rot can be rerolled as a poor man's Fourth Horseman, which makes it Super Fun in PVE and 100% garbage trash in PVP. If you're not up for rerolls (and, given that Dry Rot is gonna be outclassed in a month), then yeah, it's kind of trash. It's also your closest option if you're playing on Xbox though, at least until TTK drops.

Edit: ninja'd! Do we still say that? Is that still a thing?

So you're saying it's pretty good then :)

I've already got a full auto void Two To The Morgue that just melts Praetorians and Found Verdict does pretty damn well for arc, so solar is the only one I really want, but these days I'm just dumping weapon parts into Exotics I hadn't gotten around to leveling up.

Yeah, they're far from essential but it's nice to have one or two. I got one while trying to farm for Hopscotch and I'm pretty jazzed about it.

And yes cooldude, ninja'd is still a thing but I'm sure #teens have another word for it.

I have two right now; I think I'm gonna try to roll a void and a solar and keep praying for a Fourth Horseman.

Also, speaking of Crota exotics; boy howdy does NLB have a steep learning curve. I've so far never had the gun jam, but I am god awful at getting headshots with it compared to other snipers (probably because of the sight?). Body shots still kill most regular enemies (I haven't taken it to Crucible, and won't until it's maxed on perks at least), but it's looking like a pretty terrible PvE weapon, especially in any mission with Hive.

NLB is awful for PvE, I used a shotgun with tons of reserve ammo + Corrective Measure so I'd have no shortage of secondary stuff to resort to while being swarmed when I was first learning the gun.

FYI - a couple of guys turned up on the Idle Thumbs group chat on Bungie.net, I let them know about the100.io so you might see them create or join events. I figured they must be okay dudes if they joined the group to begin with. I think one of the guys created an event for Nightfall for noon EST today; it'd be nice if anyone that usually plays with us is free to make him feel welcome to the group. He's out of Helsinki, so that's why it's so early in the day for us Americans.

I think literally adding "Clan" as a separate column next to "Fireteam, Friends, In-Game" is all you would need. It would cramp the screen, maybe have it be a separate page? Like, have an arrow down at the bottom a la the character page, and have that have a list of clan players, sorted the same way as friends (online at top). Then again, it looks like the entire menu area is getting refreshed, so who knows!

Honestly, I find the utility of having a separate Fireteam/In-Game thing minimal at best. Is there any use for In-Game other than reporting people?

What I want is to sign in and then check off all the activities I'd be up for doing. Then anyone could filter their friends list based on what they want to do and send out invites accordingly.

Honestly, I find the utility of having a separate Fireteam/In-Game thing minimal at best. Is there any use for In-Game other than reporting people?

Some people spam out invites to raids in the tower? Don't see that as often these days though.

Everybody check your postmaster, there seems to be something wonky going on where things are just showing up. At first the thought was "Oh, all the old gifts - christmas legendaries and strange coins - are showing up," but I just logged in on lunch break and had a Patience & Time, Dry Rot 32, and a blue engram on my Titan. The last thing I did on my Titan was the "kill Bracus" bounty two days ago. Something is up. The postmaster has turned into a used car dealer in Tess' absence.

11850905_2294427800445_449209568_n.jpg?o

I initially laughed but then absolutely did not get misty-eyed at all, nope not me.

It does bear thinking about though. If you're trying to build Oryx as the Ultimate Villain, building him as a Dad Out For Revenge runs counter to everything the AAA game industry has been pushing since the late spring/early summer of 2013 (the Summer of Triple-A Dads, if you will). Like, I'm all about disrupting the status quo, but it's interesting that we haven't heard much other than "YOU KILLED MY SON." That's an interesting motivation for a Big Bad these days.

So I have a connection that says Xur will be selling Gally this week. In an hour, I will either look like Nostradamus or a total (my uncle works at Nintendo) ass.

EDIT: Not an ass!

So I have a connection that says Xur will be selling Gally this week. In an hour, I will either look like Nostradamus or a total (my uncle works at Nintendo) ass.

EDIT: Not an ass!

woah. guess i should log in and snag one if only on the off chance it'll be useful/viable for taken king

Lol, my Xbox died yesterday, stuck in a reboot loop. What timing!

I guess I wouldn't be using it anyway as I'm switching to ps4 in a month, but you know...

Lots of good stuff today, definitely buy Gjallarhorn particularly if you still need to complete any triumphs like Skolas. Hunters should buy Achlyophage and Warlocks should buy Light Beyond Nemesis if either have any interest in PvP.

Also, a fun little clip from sweaties I was playing last night -

Still three slots available for our VoG HM run tomorrow. Come shoot your new Gjallerhorn at things that aren't Atheon! (Because rocket launchers are not allowed in that shield thing.)

I made the mistake of looking at the replies to a Bungie tweet the other day. Something about Husk of the Pit dropping again. Like 80 percent were something akin to "Give me a Gjallerhorn." So I'm glad everyone who cares now has the opportunity to own one. But I kind of like the idea of certain things (or in the case of the Lighthouse, places) being super rare. Not because I want to have something few other people have, but because it makes those random drops into stories you tell your friends (or Instagram videos).

I don't know. I guess that's not very egalitarian of me.

I think the thing is that there will *always* be that kind of joy in certain drops. There's the story about me screaming when I got a Gjallarhorn from a Nightfall with jonac and remadeking a few weeks ago, just earlier this week Ice Breaker dropped for remadeking after A CELL FROM THE PRISON OF ELDERS, the Crota run with the disappearing crystal (and a Crux!), etc.

Taken King is only going to add more Great Stories for everyone to share, so I think turning August 14th into the Great Gjallarhorn Festival is perfectly fine. It's a story for everyone!