melmer

Destiny

Well, when it comes to Fatebringer...

But in all seriousness, I think there's plenty to do still. My personal pre-TTK goals (note though, like Jon says, that you shouldn't be playing to "prepare" for TTK, you should just be playing because playing is fun):

General Destiny Goals, regardless of whether or not Taken King was coming out in a month:

- Get Warlock (32) and Titan (15) to 34, with both subclasses maxed.

- Fully level all currently owned exotics, plus any others that I come across in the next month (not necessarily fully upgrade, because shards ain't free)

- Finish the triumphs (just Hard Mode VoG left, it's up on the100.io, let's make lemonade)

- Run every mission on each character; I've ignored normal mode strikes quite a bit on the Warlock, and the Titan is obviously still in "developmental." I like seeing filled circles! And uh, hexagons.

- Hit rank 3 rep in each faction on each character.

- Make it to the Lighthouse.

Dream Goals (confined to weekly lockouts, and thus not necessarily doable no matter how hard I play):

- Full sets of raid gear for each class

- A Vision of Confluence, Fatebringer, Praedyth's Revenge, Corrective Measure, and a Praetorian Foil (lol)

September 15th Taken King Get Pumped Last Minute Specifics:

- Maxed glimmer, with one Royal Amethyst on each character and one in the vault

- Max Crucible and Vanguard Marks on all three characters

- My trusty Comedian (first Legendary, will never shard), ascended to all get-out, ready to take its rightful place as the #1 slot in my Vault, to be revered forever

Nothing matters! This is a video game, get the loot if you want to get it, just do what you enjoy doing. It's all going to be meaningless after a major game update, and it's all meaningless anyway because they're fake video game guns, and when you stop playing the game then none of it will have any effect on your life. Just have fun!

e: To be clear, I'm talking about the discussion that comes up when an expansion in any online game is looming. "Is it worth it to play if everything is going to be worthless in the next update?" I think the answer is yes, if you enjoy playing already then you should keep playing. If you don't have any need for progression, then just play what you enjoy playing and ignore the rest. I think that's true whether or not there's an expansion on the horizon.

On the note of "just have fun" I would like to again make the sappy shoutout to this whole Thumbs crew, who have made playing Destiny a true delight again. The concept of "the grind" kind of vanishes when you've got two (or five, or however many people bumming in a party chat) other people joking around throughout everything, getting excited for one another when a Sweet Drop Happens, and patiently helping newcomers through content that's been run many times. Playing Iron Banner solo last week reminded me of why I stopped playing Destiny last winter, and then running the Nightfall the next day with remadeking and wracketeer reminded me why I'm playing regularly again.

The loot is just an incentive to do activities that you should hopefully enjoy on their own. Yeah, the gear you get now will be obsolete in a month or so, but your TTK gear will age out eventually too. If you're always waiting for the next update because current gear will become obsolete, you'll be waiting forever. That being said, it's not a bad idea to play with a mind on the fact that current gear has a very short lifetime left...I would just do stuff you enjoy or haven't done before and have less of an eye on leveling up or acquiring any particular gear (aside from exotics, which will be upgradeable...somehow).

For me, I'm probably going to take this opportunity to just focus on improving my PvP game. I do still need to run CE regular and hard mode to finish off my year one stuff but with everything else completed, most of my gear leveled, and little incentive to acquire any other gear aside from exotics, I can finally put some dedicated focus on exploring PvP more without feeling like I'm missing out on the weekly PvE events. 

For me it's more that most of my time is spent looking for gear and materials to get to level 34. I get wanting to play it for the fun of it, I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not it is worth running daily bounties and looking for better loot. I'm still at the point where I'm grinding loot so I can do the highest level stuff with some friends, and at this point it seems like for someone in my position it's better to just wait a bit.

If I had to devise to pre-TTK minimal-grind maximum-preparation schedule, it'd be something like -

1. Run Nightfalls and Weekly Heroic Strikes every week. This lets you get chances at etheric light to hit 34 and coins to buy any exotics from Xur that pop up that you still want/don't have. You can also just save the strange coins for post-TTK, they'll probably still be valuable.

2. Run Vanguard Dragon Strikes. Probably the most efficient way to farm good loot without grinding at bounties or for marks specifically. There are excellent weapons for every weapon class there - Hopscotch Pilgrim for Pulse, Snakebite Surgeon for Fusion, High Road Soldier for Scout, Loner.Rebel for Hand Cannon, etc. Having at least one good weapon of every weapon class is sure to be valuable in early TTK. And the legendary engram drop rate from Dragon Strikes is phenomenal, you can just get good gear by accident while running them.

3. Only run 32 POE up until the point where you hit level 34, then only run 34 POE. POE is pretty darn inefficient for getting good loot since it's all fairly situational, but it is the most direct way to hit level 34 by running 32 POE. Also, the weapons that you can get from weapon cores at 34 POE are already max damage at 365 and will probably be worth taking into TTK in terms of pure damage values without needing to ascend. Plus, more etheric light for upgrading gear you get from marks/dragon strikes.

Unless you really need the Vanguard/Crucible/DO/NM/FWC rep, just do bounties that you can get while running content that you'd normally like (get 100 kills without dying, get 100 precision kills, etc). Also, raid gear is probably not going to be incredibly useful post-TTK so I'd mostly skip raiding unless you have a group that you have doing them with. And there's really not a whole lot of cost/benefit reasons to run Skolas unless you are going for the triumph.

So I'm looking for a guild, know the best way to find one?

Also, why the fuck do I only ever get 3 different strikes in the vanguard dragon list? The boring ass cabal ones and the nexus. It's driving me crazy! The nexus is ok, but the cabal ones are the absolute worst ones they made, so incredibly tedious. I really hate fighting cabal too!

There's not really a best way, as far as I can tell. Best you can do is trolling Bungie's recruitment forums (as you've said you've done), /r/PS4clans, or /r/fireteams.

Also, on the bright side you're grinding Cabal enemy kills for your grimoire score! Those are a pain the butt since there's not a whole ton of places to fight Cabal.

So I'm looking for a guild, know the best way to find one?

A guild, you say? May I humbly recommend... Idle Thumbs

Jon's right though, if you're looking for a Serious Daily Clan, /r/fireteams is your best bet. I stick to the Thumbs clan, this forum, and our the100.io group, and that generally meets my needs. I would like to set up a weekly Trials group here (Thumbs of Osiris, if you will), but from what I've noticed we steer more PvE heavy on these forums.

A guild, you say? May I humbly recommend... Idle Thumbs

Jon's right though, if you're looking for a Serious Daily Clan, /r/fireteams is your best bet. I stick to the Thumbs clan, this forum, and our the100.io group, and that generally meets my needs. I would like to set up a weekly Trials group here (Thumbs of Osiris, if you will), but from what I've noticed we steer more PvE heavy on these forums.

I would be down for a weekly trials group but it seems that my normal play time in the evening doesn't line up well with many people here. 

I would be down for a weekly trials group but it seems that my normal play time in the evening doesn't line up well with many people here. 

When do you play? My hours are super variable, and I can make Late Night Trials happen.

I'm usually on around 9PM Phoenix time on Fridays and Saturdays. On weeknights I don't play as much but I might jump on some evenings for an hour or two around 10 or 11PM. I do also play sporadically throughout the day on the weekends but it's usually hard to commit to anything more than a few PvP matches or shorter activities.

CussedCayuse and my friend Zasa are usually on around the time I play so we are at least able to run some of the three person content. Getting people together at that time for raids or any other 6 person PvP stuff has been virtually impossible though. And we haven't tried trials in a while because we got absolutely crushed when we tried it a while back.

I to want try Trials again. Last time we tried we were all only level 33, and we didn't have the gear to compete.

I'll give trials a go with you this weekend Zeus. It's not a good week for skolas so I need something to do. Just put up a The 100 event for it.

Cheers for the info guys, what you said makes sense, hopefully I can find a decent group to Sherpa me around some raids whilst I find my feet (I still haven't done the first one due to not being able to get a group together). I guess the i100 and r/fireteams will be a good page to look

Cheers for the info guys, what you said makes sense, hopefully I can find a decent group to Sherpa me around some raids whilst I find my feet (I still haven't done the first one due to not being able to get a group together). I guess the i100 and r/fireteams will be a good page to look

remadeking and myself are signed up on the100.io for a Hard Mode Vault of Glass raid tonight at 7:30PM EDT, if you (and others, hint hint) are interested!

For what it's worth, the chances that I'll be able to do raids (or almost any other content) in the evening on Trials days is close to nil. Not that everyone needs to conform to my schedule, just a heads up in case anyone was counting on my participation for anything.

Did someone say... Vault of Glass?

post-34045-0-35471500-1438960898.gif

By the way Xur is selling Bones of Eao this week and if you're a Hunter you should definitely get them. They're very situational, but when you use them right you can do some really cool stuff.

Yeah I 100% picked up my Jordans before going to work today. So pumped for Jumpathon 2K15.

Note: with the purchase of the Bones of AYO/Jordans/Those Damn Boots, I have - for the first time - everything that Xur is selling this week! That is a good feeling. It is a cool, good feeling. Also, a Titan Crest of Alpha Lupi (with, admittedly, a pretty lousy roll) dropped from Chest Engram #1, and I think I have enough motes for a round 2 later if I consolidate across all my characters. The irony that a Titan was the last character I created and yet somehow the one I have the most exotics for (Saint-14, Eternal Warrior, Feedback Fence, Crest) is not lost on me.

As far as scheduling stuff goes Friday/Saturday nights are always gonna be hit or miss for me...tonight's a miss unfortunately :(

I got a Celestial Nighthawk from the big PoE chest last night...my hunter gear stash continues to grow. I think once TTK comes out I'll start one and use that xp ultra boost they're giving out to get her in fighting shape.

So, with the impending release of MGSV and a general feeling that I'm getting close to burnout, I think I'm going to be stepping back my level of Destiny play. I'm definitely up for helping out anyone who needs to finish up Triumphs stuff (Skolas, VoG, *sigh* Crota), though, and I'd like to dip my toes in Trials sometime, so please keep making events on the100. :)

I had one heck of a weekend. Had both No Land Beyond (PoE 28) and Thunderlord (Engram!) drop, finished leveling several exotics (Dragon's Breath, P&T, Air Jordans, Vestments, almost done with the Feedback Fence), and unlocked all content on my Warlock (still need to run all of it, though).

That said, I burned pretty much all my glimmer this weekend on a combo of upgrades and telemetries, so the ol' cash grind is back. I think Trials this weekend sounds like a lot of fun, and I still need to bang out VoG before I'm willing to truly put the game down before TTK, but I haven't hit full burnout quite yet.

I give it a week.

I'd probably give anyone wanting to run Trials Saturday/Sunday mornings/afternoons a solid couple passages if anyone still wants to give it a go.

Here's a pretty fun Rumble match I played this weekend -