melmer

Destiny

Use the NLB a bit in PvE before trying it in the Crucible. You'll notice you need to chamber a new bullet after every shot, learn the animation cancel - you reload and then sprint. If you do it wrong your gun will jam and it will take the same time it would have taken if the animation took place.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could cancel the reload application, that's neat. I ran a strike with it earlier, and I still don't think I've gotten used to it's scope yet. It'll probably become my go-to gun for Strikes and Vanguard Bounties until I get most of the perks. It looks like it'll be a fun gun to use in Rumble.

I think you mean "complete a strike with full fireteam consisting of only your clan members", Strength of the Pack. POEs count as strikes. (I double checked because this would be a great, easy way to get clan raider if it was true >_<)

I actually got Raiding Party by completing PoE with Zasa and Cussedcayuse back in May or June so it definitely was possible. Maybe it's been patched since.

Cussedcayuse, Zasa and I finally managed to take down Skolas last night for the first time ever. That was such a fun damn fight. I also got an elder cipher thingy which I exchanged for the exotic house of wolves shotgun bounty. So now I have three exotic bounties in my inventory that I need to get cracking on.

And against my better judgment, I'm going to say a really stupid, corny thing that seemed hilarious last night while we were fighting the Vex round:

What does a Minotaur wear to aerobics?

A minotard.

I was killed by a hobgoblin right after saying that stupid stupid thing.

My two cents: I've heard Efrideet's Spear has been nerfed and can't have the same set of perks that it used to but I bought it anyway since people still seem to be using it. I took a pass on Timur's Lash.

Pre-HoW Efrideet's is pretty good because it has pre-HoW perks available. It hasn't really been nerfed, this is just a new version. The new version is still a good sniper rifle, as it's capable of res-sniping. That said, it is a bit of a different class of sniper as compared to Her Benevolence as it has fairly low aim-assist. It feels pretty similar to Praedyth's Revenge, though obviously without the same huge pool of reserve ammo. Of the two available weapons, I'd definitely recommend Efrideet's over Timur's. Timur's is a pretty limited use case.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that I wasn't disagreeing with the use of the word "nerf" to be pedantic. Literally all pre-HoW weapons had the same available perks, so you could get a pretty similar roll to the one that people use with pre-HoW Efrideets with a Longbow Synthesis or LDR. The point here is that all of those weapons are no longer available, and all of the post-HoW weapons are currently available all with the same perk sets. So in some way, all the weapons were "nerfed" by just having a completely different pool of perks than previous generations of "equivalents" sold by vendors.

Thanks to spork and dj for all their help and a shockingly minimal amount of "taint" jokes.

I think the taint jokes started after the fourth or fifth Real Wipe when we were all getting pretty sick of Skolas' garbage, but yeah, that was astounding. Also my goodness, all those insane emergency res runs. What a great win. What a great, great win.

That last mine round was so clutch. Just a series of frantic revives, self-rezes, and taint passing. I complain about the length of that fight, but the high stakes of failing ratchet the intensity level way, way up. Great stuff.

Edit: Taint. Taint. Taint.

I was thinking about that run earlier today and I wonder what the optimal team composition is for that. I feel like arc blade hunter, sunsinger warlock, and defender titan would be ideal for cutting down on the stress of that last mine round.

BUT THAT NIGHTHAWK SHOT AT THE END THO

I think you are 100% right on the Bubble Titan though, I think that alone would have made a huge difference. Weapons of Light would make the DPS barrage after Mines #2 almost instant, and although I'd have to check the points at which adds show up, I think it would reduce those times we ran from "door" to "stairs" because Skolas was getting Too Close and we had to pass the taint

BUT THAT NIGHTHAWK SHOT AT THE END THO

I think you are 100% right on the Bubble Titan though, I think that alone would have made a huge difference. Weapons of Light would make the DPS barrage after Mines #2 almost instant, and although I'd have to check the points at which adds show up, I think it would reduce those times we ran from "door" to "stairs" because Skolas was getting Too Close and we had to pass the taint

We managed to pull off a Skolas kill on our second attempt on Saturday and we ran with two Defender Titans and a Sunsinger Warlock. After we got through the first 25%, we spent the entire rest of the round on that platform on the very right-hand side of the map and just traded Titan bubbles back and forth. It was nice and cozy on that platform. Then when we were close to each mine round we just made sure our supers were up and skated across the level to dismantle each mine before finally returning to our platform. It really helped having the melee buff this week because with Armor of Light we were able to just stay in our bubbles and melee any of the big guys that tried to jump up on our platform.

That first ever Skolas kill felt so good. In the end, it didn't seem quite as difficult as we expected but then again we were super focused and had great communication through the entire fight.

I never thought to bring this up until today, but my clan is always recruiting new members. I imagine that plenty of you are getting plenty of mileage out of activities with other forum members, but I personally had a desire to run a lot more end game content far more frequently than I would have been able to do otherwise that made me seek out a bigger group of likeminded people. It's a good group of dudes and I frequently can find teams to play POEs, raids, Trials, Iron Banner, etc with at nearly all hours. Anyways, my fellow admin posted this recruitment thread on Reddit with some more details (all the requirements are kinda loose, fwiw) - https://www.reddit.com/r/ps4clans/comments/3fnsk1/recruitingdestiny_immortalis_rising_is_looking/

And that was my dose of "plug your shit" for this thread, forgive me if this was inappropriate in any way.

Tempting but I think I'm to try to get a group for Skolas and do the other year one stuff and then I think I'll take a break in till The Taken King comes out.

I'll still hop on for raids on the weekend if someone wants to get one going but Iron Banner this last week really burned me out so I think a break would be good.

I'd like to look for a guild that's more in my time zone. Apparently there's no easy way to find one other than browsing through all the guilds on the bungie website.

Threw up an event for Nightfall. Let's swear about Bungie not putting in a burn this week.

Vis a vis the clan thing, I'd be interested in getting involved in something slightly more serious, but my work/life schedule doesn't really allow for it right now. :( Maybe later in October...

Threw up an event for Nightfall. Let's swear about Bungie not putting in a burn this week.

Vis a vis the clan thing, I'd be interested in getting involved in something slightly more serious, but my work/life schedule doesn't really allow for it right now. :( Maybe later in October...

Totally understood. For future reference, I don't think you'd get into any trouble if you only played a couple times a week or something. I know guys who only play on weekends that are totally cool, it's mostly about when you are on that you join some clan parties/lobbies and make your presence known.

And I won't be offended if any of you don't join, just wanted to put out the option. I'm clearly a bit obsessed with the game so running 3x NF, Trials, VoG and Crota is super crucial to me but I can easily, easily see why it wouldn't be for others. It might be a better idea for me to bring this up with better proximity to TTK, because that'll really be prime time for jumping into such a community. I know that me and the other admins will be burning some serious midnight oil to finish the raid multiple times on day 1 so we can sherpa members afterward. It's going to be a nightmare for me, but probably a great time to be involved.

Trials this week was really bad. I thought I liked Burning Shrine, but I was really having a poor showing in the scheme of things. It's amazing how much I can see the meta move around, I saw my fair share of Messenger/Icebreaker guys who clearly saw how cool I was using it and decided to hop onto the bandwagon. Also saw a ton of Hopscotch Pilgrims and Skorri's Revenges. I managed one flawless pretty much no thanks to my own performance and ended up getting two (extra) Truth's and a duplicate Adept Messenger. Between that, Iron Banner still being a laggy mess and RNGesus boning us on NF/Heroic/POE34/35 this week, I might take a short break myself.

I'll start throwing stuff up on the100 once my gf leaves. I'll need something to fill my free time! I requested to join a UK based clan, but not received a response. Not really sure what the etiquette is...

Until then I'm spending every moment available with her (and I've got a conference at the moment too, so I'm barely home).

I had a surprisingly easy run with Trials this week. I just wanted to get some packages so I put an LFG post up asking for a casual run. Got invited by one guy and we added a third who just wanted to get the gauntlets, and we ended up running a straight 7-0. It was also the first time either of them had made it to the Lighthouse, so it was a really fun experience. I always get anxious trying to find a serious group because I'm worried they'll turn out to be arseholes.

Jon, let me know if you want to run it next time, we make a good team!

It's crazy how rapidly my PvP skills fluctuate. I generally only jump into PvP for IB so there's a one month gap every time and when this one started my K/D avg was somewhere around 0.8 (the games below that avg were ugly). By last night it was probably 1.5, with multiple games well above that and kills per game way up. Probably doesn't hurt that by Monday night all the hardcore players have already hit rank 5 and quit playing :P. Few other misc thoughts from this IB: I got a BTRD finally. That thing is a Joldor's Hammer on steroids. Good lord. Also, I surprisingly had very few lag issues this time which was nice.

At this point the main things I want to do are low time commitment activities: finish out my Elder Cipher, actually get my Husk upgraded to a Nechrochasm, and some occasional PvP to prevent my getting steamrolled (maybe some Trials attempts somewhere in there if I feel ambitious). Will definitely ramp it up when TTK hits. Of course if people need bodies to help finish out their year 1 stuff I'd be willing to help out there too.

I've found crucible really rewards defensive play. When I push hard and go solo, I generally do average go bad. If I play like a coward, run away from fire fights I'm not 100% sure I can win, hide behind team mates and stick with other people, I do really well.

The only time I break away from the pack now, is if there's a big cluster of people and I can easily flank.

I like playing defensively. It fits my style.

With 35 Skolas down I'm probably gonna start shifting my focus more towards PvP. Although I do still need to run TDB normal and heroic to finish off my year one stuff so one of these weekends I hope to be available for that.

My K/D ratio has continued to steadily rise past the 1.0 mark and I just can't get enough PvP lately. Over the last week, according to Bungie, I've had my all time best game multiple nights in a row, won the last 10 games in a row, and peaked last night on Shores of Time with 19 kills and a 4.75 K/D ratio. I haven't pored over my PvP stats in a game like this since back in the Halo 3 days.

The one metric I don't have much context for and seems kind of meaningless without some kind of comparison is the combat rating. From what I've read it looks like it goes up to 200 so it would seem my 95.48 rating is actually pretty terrible. I don't know if that means I'm only better than 48% of players or how that's supposed to work.

This past week was my first experience with Iron Banner. I'd been avoiding it because I'm at best indifferent to PvP, and I'd been assuming I'd just get annihilated. But the promise of Etheric Light drew me in, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Got my Xbox Titan up to rank 5 and hauled some OK loot back to the vault. For me, a K/D over 1 is doing alright, and I managed that in most of my games. Had a couple where I led the team in kills and K/D. Even completed the "10 kills without dying" bounty a couple times.

With TTK approaching, I find myself in the absurd position of playing the same game on two platforms and needing to maintain both. I have a couple friends on the Xbox side with whom I play about once a week, schedules permitting. I'm sure they'll both buy TTK and we'll keep playing into Year 2, but any large-team or high-level stuff is mostly out of our reach. On the Playstation side I have all of you, and thus at least the option of running hard-mode raids and stuff like that. But I also have several hundred fewer hours worth of accumulated weaponry and materials. Seems silly to buy TTK twice, but I'm not ready to abandon either side.

With 35 Skolas down I'm probably gonna start shifting my focus more towards PvP. Although I do still need to run TDB normal and heroic to finish off my year one stuff so one of these weekends I hope to be available for that.

My K/D ratio has continued to steadily rise past the 1.0 mark and I just can't get enough PvP lately. Over the last week, according to Bungie, I've had my all time best game multiple nights in a row, won the last 10 games in a row, and peaked last night on Shores of Time with 19 kills and a 4.75 K/D ratio. I haven't pored over my PvP stats in a game like this since back in the Halo 3 days.

The one metric I don't have much context for and seems kind of meaningless without some kind of comparison is the combat rating. From what I've read it looks like it goes up to 200 so it would seem my 95.48 rating is actually pretty terrible. I don't know if that means I'm only better than 48% of players or how that's supposed to work.

I basically don't use Bungie for stats, I use DestinyTracker which pulls from Bungie's APIs and puts things into a better context.

Here's your Tracker page, I think I'm the first person to try to pull your stats so they're updating everything and ranking you among the DestinyTracker community right now - http://destinytracker.com/destiny/player/ps/xXZeusthecatXx

I took a look today at the leaderboards on Destiny Tracker. Obviously none of us are going to show up globally but it's fun to look at your local area and see how you fare. I'm the 42nd best player in Scotland!