melmer

Destiny

Would people be interested in running Skolas Friday evening/night? I finally have a 34 and it's the last thing I need for the Year 1 emblem.

Maybe, depends on the modifiers + depends on the Trials map next weekend.

My hunter should be 34 by Friday (just need that last Etheric Light, or for Variks to sell boots this week...), and would be 100% down. I also still need Hard Mode Atheon, and now that we all have Relic Experience and general Fight Experience that should hopefully be less painful than it was last week.

Speaking of EL, anyone have tips for the best way to farm the stuff? I know you get the one a week from 34/35 PoE, but it would be peachy keen if I could have more than one set of gear to wear for such occasions.

Actually, this is a bad week for Skolas - Iron Banner starts this week. I just remembered because that is probably the easiest possible way for someone to get Etheric Light. You can buy one at rep 3 and one at rep 5. If you have three characters, that's six possible in exchange for essentially doing the bounties every day for at least one character and 30,000 glimmer.

I'll probably be busy Friday but will probably be free most any time Saturday, not that you should schedule around me of course. On a related note, if anyone wants to run a PoE of any level and sees me on, feel free to invite me because I need boss kills for the exotic bounty.

Per week per character you can get two Etheric Light from PoE, then two from Trials if you can get up to 8 wins, then one from the Nightfall if you get lucky (plus two from IB when it's running). I think that's about it.

Actually, this is a bad week for Skolas - Iron Banner starts this week. I just remembered because that is probably the easiest possible way for someone to get Etheric Light. You can buy one at rep 3 and one at rep 5. If you have three characters, that's six possible in exchange for essentially doing the bounties every day for at least one character and 30,000 glimmer.

ah crap that's right, never mind, I'll hold off until after IB is over

You can get three per character in Trials, the Lighthouse chest has a guaranteed etheric light.

Oh dang, good call. I'm medium-trash at PvP, but I can probably BS my way through with the almighty Thorn/Matador 64 combo. I've never touched Iron Banner previously, so hopefully I can make some magic happen there.

Side note: my Destiny time is going to be in even greater flux than usual over the next couple of weeks, since I'm moving. That said, once I've moved, it's all Destiny, all the time.

Edit: Yeah I am definitely not going 9-0 in Trials, lol. That said, if we put together some Thumb Groups, we could probably make a goofy Thumbs of Osiris video for kicks.

Oh dang, good call. I'm medium-trash at PvP, but I can probably BS my way through with the almighty Thorn/Matador 64 combo. I've never touched Iron Banner previously, so hopefully I can make some magic happen there.

Side note: my Destiny time is going to be in even greater flux than usual over the next couple of weeks, since I'm moving. That said, once I've moved, it's all Destiny, all the time.

Edit: Yeah I am definitely not going 9-0 in Trials, lol. That said, if we put together some Thumb Groups, we could probably make a goofy Thumbs of Osiris video for kicks.

Your stats aren't bad. With some practice and the right team, it's entirely possible that you could get a flawless. I went flawless twice with a guy w/ 0.87 kdr and 47% win percentage, you have 0.97 kdr and 49% win percentage. i believe in you

I was out of town for most of the weekend, so I didn't get to play much of Trials - only a few hours late last night. I didn't have too much luck, but I think that was a combination of how late it was, as well as the fact that the rotating maps threw me off. I've only played Trials one other time (last week, Cauldron), so I didn't have any familiarity with the other maps in the hopper. 

I've also tried toying around with snipers for the first time, mostly in Rumble/Skirmish so I can get some practice in. I'm using the Eye of Sol right now. It feels really good, but it's not capable of killing someone through a revive shield, so I might try and run some PoE to get a Her Benevolence to drop. 

My Hopscotch Pilgrim has also been treating me well, but it works best when I'm mindful enough to avoid getting too close to enemies. I tend to default to this mindless "rush the opponents" style of gameplay when it comes to shooters, and while I can trade effectively most of the time, I do a lot better when I play smart.

I've been playing Crucible a lot for the first time in a while with a sort of eye towards Iron Banner/Trials of Osiris stuff. Just hanging back with Bad Juju has produced some pretty spectacular results, I gotta say.

I've never touched Iron Banner previously, so hopefully I can make some magic happen there.

No magic required for IB. It's basically a matter of putting in the time to get to the needed rank. Even losses give you medallions that will be cashed in on your next win. Just do what bounties you can and remember to get the buff from the vendor and that the buff gets more powerful as the week progresses, so games on Sunday will reward way more rep than ones on Tuesday.

Via reddit, if you play 6 IB games per weekday and 10 on the weekends you'll make rank 4 even if you're bad. If you're moderately good, you'll probably get rank 5 with that much time investment. If you have class items/shaders/emblems from older Iron Banners, you can play only an hour per day to get rank 5. Once you hit rank 5 with one character, the rate of XP gain for others is significantly faster. I got one character from rank 0 to 5 on the Monday of last IB.

CussedCayuse and I ran some 3v3 skirmish for a couple hours last night to work on honing our skills a bit more for another eventual attempt at Trials of Osiris. Overall I think we did okay but we found that in 3v3, each match pretty much came down solely to how competent the third person on our team ended up being. Unlike the 6v6 stuff that we normally run, having one person on your team that doesn't cooperate and that just runs off on their own makes it extremely difficult to come out on top. Take GavinSmoothPants for example who was nice enough to grace us with his presence two games in a row. After every single death, as soon as he spawned or was revived by one of us, he would just book it to the other end of the map by himself to go Rambo on the entire enemy team. While he did end up getting more kills than each of us, he also died way more than we did and probably cost us a couple wins that we could have snagged if he was at least somewhere in our vicinity so we could help him pick off enemies. Ultimately though, thanks to it being 3v3, we ended up adopting the strategy of "just follow this asshole everywhere he goes" and were able to clean up quite a few kills that would have otherwise been lost.

Even in those matches though where you have a good team and everyone is working together, there are just some teams that fucking disintegrate us instantly. We've been getting better at sticking together throughout the match and trying to find high ground or other areas with decent cover but it just feels like there is nothing you can do against some of these teams that know every map inside and out.

One thing that would be really sweet is if this game supported some kind of private PvP where you could play through each map privately and work out optimal strategies and stuff. Depending on the mode, I still tend to get hit with maps that I've only done a couple of times in the past and nothing sucks worse than bumbling your way around an unfamiliar map. Plus that was always one of my favorite things to do in Halo. Just load up a map in splitscreen and run around exploring every nook and cranny.

It's theoretically possible to 3v3 matchmake "privately", my clan does it sometimes just for fun. If we got enough people playing concurrently from here, we could give it a try. Here's a short tutorial video -

Also, the whole teams that disintegrate you instantly never goes away even if you're with a really solid team. Unfortunately, one aspect of the competitive scene of this game is just being prepared for disappointment. Trials is largely about luck, you could get matched with Triplewreck and you might as well unplug your controller.

Well at least that is some kind of solution. Having a full 6 people together to be able to pull it off though is kind of a bummer.

Top tier gameplay set to classical music is always aces, but that is some *next level nonsense*. The ability to scope while moving and pull off those headshots so flawlessly is absurd. This video is Destiny PvP Art.

It doesn't say nice thing about me that I look at that guy and secretly hope that all the time he's spent getting that good means he's likely not doing so while in other areas of his life does it?

In less petty news I got a Monte Carlo from a random PVP match as soon as Griddlelol left! Go me! :)

If you ever make a hunter and want to enjoy using that Monte Carlo...

What is it about skilled PVP players that makes almost all of them have the worst taste in music?

Also yeah I'm gonna have to try that on my hunter at some point. I really like the knife throw anyways so I'll have some fun with that.

That person is not a human. They are a fucking monster. 

This comment, combined with the musical choice and watching Hannibal yesterday, made me imagine Mads Mikkelsen-as-Hannibal Lecter with a glass of wine next to him while headshotting suckers in Trials.

"The Trials passage must be without flaw to travel to the Lighthouse. Tell me, Will, what would it mean to be free of imperfection?"