melmer

Destiny

No noooo that's wrong. D:

I like the sound of basically all of the things, but I just worry I won't be able to get over the controls. ):

Do you not like FPS on controllers or something? As a traditional console gamer, I'd say that Destiny has some of the best controls and mapping options out of any modern FPS (like Halo before it) but if you just don't like controllers than it'd of course be lame.

I hate FPS on controllers it's awful there's nothing worse in this life or the next.

I didn't know there was a demo, but unless it's really long, I dunno if it'll tell me how used to things I can get.

IIRC the demo gives you the first four story missions, and access to the Crucible and Patrol on Earth. You can't go beyond Earth or XP level 7.

Honestly if every FPS controlled as well on a controller as Destiny I likely wouldn't use a mouse for an FPS again. But if there's a demo I would definitely check it out.

Okay I'll try the demo I guess. ):

The demo is a vertical slice of the full game with the very beginning of the game. It obviously doesn't cover raid mechanics or end-game content, but it's at least an hour or two of PvE content. It also includes a Strike, which is a 3-player co-op extended mission. Also, all game progress in the demo progresses to the main game if you upgrade it in-client.

I tend to violently dislike console shooters and Destiny feels OK.

The demo's what roped me in.

I really didn't think much of this game before hitting level cap and even for awhile afterwards it wasn't doing much for me. But once I convinced a friend to start playing with me and started playing regularly with a full fireteam, it became one of my favorite first person shooters. And since House of Wolves hit I haven't been able to put it down. The various challenges and rewards are just too delicious. 

I'm glad the demo was able to rope you in osmosisch but it's still kind of a bummer to think of someone deciding whether or not to buy based on that content. I have a co-worker who played a few hours of the alpha and has refused to touch it or reconsider it since because those few hours of super early content wasn't exciting enough for him. This game is all about the endgame content. And luckily, it doesn't really take too long to reach that point any more.

To be honest, I'm already going into this with that kind of mindset. The only thing that's been holding me back is the controls. I haven't been able to tolerate a console shooter since Timesplitters 2, and that was also the first one I was able to tolerate. We'll see!

Speaking of controls, does anyone use a non-default setup? I've always thought about switching to bumper-jumper, or whatever it's called now, so I'd be able to jump without moving my thumbs of the sticks, but I'm afraid rewiring my brain for that might result in a stroke.

Speaking of controls, does anyone use a non-default setup? I've always thought about switching to bumper-jumper, or whatever it's called now, so I'd be able to jump without moving my thumbs of the sticks, but I'm afraid rewiring my brain for that might result in a stroke.

Well, I am one of those freaks that uses inverted controls. 

I'm split between trying to force myself to use bumper-jumper and spending a ludicrous amount of money on a custom controller with extra buttons for the extra three fingers on each hand. I feel it's pretty critical to PvP, then again I've gone flawless the last three weeks so I'm a PvP-guy I guess.

Are people playing this on ps4 or what because that's what I'd get it on and I don't want to even bother if I'm not going to be playing with people. U:

Yes, we're pretty much all on PS4 and the bestest of friends. I hope you take the plunge and join us.

I was reading a recent article on Polygon highlighting some of the quest/bounty improvements that will be implemented for the next expansion and made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments. They were (predictably) overwhelmingly full of people talking about how terrible the game is and how betrayed they feel by Bungie and how this game is horribly broken and blah blah blah. It's really nothing new and pretty much any article I've ever read about Destiny that happens to have a comment section is the same.

I honestly don't think I've seen anything quite like this before where a game is so massively popular and clearly enjoyed by a ton of people but that also has a massive contingent of haters that somehow manages to completely dominate any discussion of the game outside of dedicated Destiny fan sites. I swear, I went through that comment section in the Polygon article and of the 50 some-odd comments, probably at least 90% of them were negative. It's palpable enough that even I'm starting to wonder if I'm somehow under a (space) wizard's spell that makes it impossible for me to truly appreciate the severity of the atrocities that Bungie has committed with this game.

I'm not really trying to make any kind of point with this post. It's just become fascinating to me that I've had some of the best FPS experiences I've ever had playing Destiny and yet if you were to read anything about it on the internet, chances are you would come away with the impression that it is one of the worst games out there right now and is a total scam. I just really wonder what it is about Destiny in particular that has inspired so much hate in so many people. 

I played a couple hours tonight (a few of the story missions and then a patrol which is apparently "run around doing bullshit until you realize you made a mistake"), and it wasn't bad. I overshoot and undershoot way more than should be allowed by design of a first-person shooter, like it's really bad I don't know how these games have been allowed to exist for so long, but at least it has nice sticky auto-aim I guess.

I played a couple hours tonight (a few of the story missions and then a patrol which is apparently "run around doing bullshit until you realize you made a mistake"), and it wasn't bad. I overshoot and undershoot way more than should be allowed by design of a first-person shooter, like it's really bad I don't know how these games have been allowed to exist for so long, but at least it has nice sticky auto-aim I guess.

This may be obvious but since you don't typically play on consoles, I think it bears mentioning that if you are aiming near an enemy, pressing the left trigger will do a mini snap to the enemy. So if things are frantic and you are missing a lot because you can't line up your shots, aim near the enemy and press the left trigger followed immediately by the right trigger to get a shot off right as you snap to the enemy. My accuracy in modern first person shooters improved a lot once I forced myself to get into the rhythm of always scoping in a split second before I fired my shot.

Again, sorry if this is totally obvious noob bullshit.

It's worth noting that since this game is MMO-like, different weapons actually have different auto-aim and accuracy stats. Some weapons definitely feel way more precise or have way more leeway for headshots as a result.

I'm not really trying to make any kind of point with this post. It's just become fascinating to me that I've had some of the best FPS experiences I've ever had playing Destiny and yet if you were to read anything about it on the internet, chances are you would come away with the impression that it is one of the worst games out there right now and is a total scam. I just really wonder what it is about Destiny in particular that has inspired so much hate in so many people. 

Activision, a staggeringly huge budget, and big talk/hype is a recipe for hating. Agree that it's fascinating.

Twig man, console FPS controls just take getting used to. It's just one of those things that takes Patience and Time (a little Destiny humor there for ya guys).

Nah, console FPS controls are just legitimately inferior! There's no getting used to it. I played Halo 3 for, ugh, I don't even know, a full year with friends, and it was just ugh. The saving grace of that game was the sand pirate mode. There is, however, learning to live with, which I think I can do. But yes Zeus I use the iron sights fairly frequently. I have utilized them for years, in fact! Iron sights are great. That's a thing that has existed in PC games forever, and I did notice it's a bit stickier. And yeah Jon I noticed that some guns feel different in that regard.

It is unfortunate, though. If Destiny was on PC I'd be playing it non-stop, probably.

Ah, I didn't realize iron sights also did the sticky thing on pc games. I'm surprised the pc master race would allow any kind of auto aim mechanic to exist.

No they don't on PC, sorry. Well, some console ports do. I somehow completely misread and thought you were just saying "this helps in general", not explicitly pointing out the stickiness.

I personally don't mind stickiness, I've left it on out of sheer laziness in some ports. I immediately turn it off if I play anything competitive multiplayer, though, because it just throws you off completely at that point.

I prefer to play FPS games on consoles for exactly that reason. Evens out the competition curve, lets me feel like I'm not going to get aimbotted for 15 minutes every time I try to PVP. (TF2, I'm looking at you.)