melmer

Destiny

I tried to launch Destiny and... I'm getting a 90-day countdown to the expansion launch with no option to actually start the game. Seems like it's happening to a few other people. Weird.

No problem at all. Cussed and another Thumb and I ran Xyor, the Nightfall, and the weekly. Nightfall was a little bumpy, thanks to some pesky captains and my poorly timed bubble shields. No great drops, but it was good fun.

I don't know what the Scholar is but yay! (And do you really use Bad Juju regularly?)

Ah, the Scholar is one of the Trials-exclusive drops that is specced really well for PvP. It's a slick Scout Rifle.

I was trying to figure out why you were asking if I use Bad Juju regularly, but then I realized it was in the screencap I posted. Yeah, I actually do. Not a huge fan of pulse rifles, but Bad Juju is a genuinely good weapon. I actually use it mostly for PvP which I wouldn't readily suggest over something like Thorn or The Last Word, but so many people rock hand cannons that something with more consistent range (not to mention better rate of fire) gives me some unique opportunity for engagement with people not so great with those weapons.

Also, I'm using it a little more often in PvE because I realized that I only have a few weapon types that aren't maxed out in my grimoire. Need to make more use out of pulse rifles, fusion rifles, sniper rifles, and heavy machine guns.

The new classes with the Taken King seem pretty cool, for whatever reason I really enjoy the third person stuff in Bungie games and more of that seems awesome.  I haven't played destiny in a while, so for those still playing it, have the new expansions really changed all that much?  I stopped playing a while ago when I got frustrated with the advancement system, and tired of running the same 3-4 strikes over and over again.

I'd say it's a lot easier to max your light level out now. The vendors sell gear that will immediately get you up to 33 (or 32? I forget), which makes pretty much all content available to you. To be fair though, the best way to afford that stuff is still running the strike playlists (or playing crucible). The economy has been changed a decent amount. Shards/Energy are only needed to level up pre-HoW gear. New stuff has its light or attack maxed out right away, which is nice. Getting to 34 just involves running Prison of Elders a few times and/or doing the new PvP Trials of Osiris (both to get top-tier gear and to get Etheric Light, which lets you bump any gear to the max).

And  the endgame is still somewhat repetitious. Run the various Prison of Elders, the two raids, weekly strikes are the main PvE activities. They mix things up with different modifiers each week, but they are what they are.

If you buy a full set of vendor armor with Vanguard/Crucible marks, you'll be level 32. Get a fully upgraded exotic and a light level 42 item either by ascending a piece of armor or getting one from Prison of Elders/Trials of Osiris and you'll be level 33.

Vanguard marks are easier than ever to get, particularly because House of Wolves daily heroic missions give 20 marks and they appear seemingly weekly or more.

I would say that the expansions have changed how Destiny feels by quite a bit simply because there is more to do and House of Wolves in particular focuses on fireteams of 3 rather than raid or Crucible groups of 6. That said, if you were put off by leveling via armor or you mostly like to play the content solo, I doubt that they will be able to change your mind wholesale.

So I have been getting back into this game after a long hiatus (Bungie adding more-or-less horde mode was music to my ears) and I wanted to a) put my name back out there for strikes, raids, etc. and b: ask if we had a group set up on the100? I find the email notifications really nice (although I have yet to get grouped up with a group through it due to leveling/work crap interfering)

I just got back into this, I'm always up for strikes or crucible or whatever! PSN: nayatooo

I think I declined a friend request from someone here. People walking around in the Tower send friend requests so I usually deny them all, if you're from here and you want to play then please leave me a message so I know who you are!

So I have been getting back into this game after a long hiatus (Bungie adding more-or-less horde mode was music to my ears) and I wanted to a) put my name back out there for strikes, raids, etc. and b: ask if we had a group set up on the100? I find the email notifications really nice (although I have yet to get grouped up with a group through it due to leveling/work crap interfering)

I wasn't able to find a way to make a group on the100, only join one and I kept getting matched with groups that were nearly full and couldn't accomodate any more people. It seems to be a networking site, not a site for facilitating groups of people who already want to play together. Am I reading that site wrong?

I wasn't able to find a way to make a group on the100, only join one and I kept getting matched with groups that were nearly full and couldn't accomodate any more people. It seems to be a networking site, not a site for facilitating groups of people who already want to play together. Am I reading that site wrong?

There is an option to create private groups in the website's footer. Not sure if it will add much more than what we've already got going on here. Email blasts might be nice, but might also be a bit much for some people. I'm all for trying it out.

For you folks that have recently started playing again, we've been keeping a Google doc with everyone's PSN IDs. We also have the Idle Thumbs clan. Presently, the clan functionality is total balls, at least until Bungie does some work to improve it, but it helps with a few clan-centric trophies if I recall correctly. 

Oh, excellent. I'll definitely be joining. The things it has over the forums here are that it automatically converts events into local time for participants and it creates events with capacity equal to the event at hand. It's kind of confusing when we say that we want to do a raid, 6-8 people all express interest in participating but don't commit and then we try to start but only have 4-5 people. There's something nice about saying, here's this event for 6 people, sign up to get in.

Vacation priorities -

CH3_uUEUMAAQ8Y0.jpg

More people should join our the100 group! Just added a new session, Trials for this coming Friday. Perfectly willing to play with people not so confident about PvP, I'll probably be creating a few more sessions throughout the weekend if there's any more interest. Didn't get to play any Trials the past couple days due to a vacation (maybe tonight, god willing) so I'm feeling particularly primed to burn some passages next week.

Yeah don't let the timezone or player levels be discouraging. I'm sure any of us would be willing to help out on lower level stuff and the timezone was required when I set the group up so I just selfishly picked my own, plus you can always be in multiple groups if the schedules for ours don't usually work out.

I've been super busy with personal stuff the past few weekends...I'm hoping this next one is a bit more open. I haven't even tried the lvl 34 and 35 PoE stuff yet.

Yeah don't let the timezone or player levels be discouraging. I'm sure any of us would be willing to help out on lower level stuff and the timezone was required when I set the group up so I just selfishly picked my own, plus you can always be in multiple groups if the schedules for ours don't usually work out.

It adjusts to the individual user's timezone. It shows everything in Pacific Standard for me even though all you East Coast folks are setting the events. :D

In case anyone is looking to increase their inventory of PvP-suitable weapons, I condensed some of the various guides I found on Reddit into a more accessible, non-comprehensive Google doc for quick reference -

https://goo.gl/zNg4et

In case anyone is looking to increase their inventory of PvP-suitable weapons, I condensed some of the various guides I found on Reddit into a more accessible, non-comprehensive Google doc for quick reference -

https://goo.gl/zNg4et

Oh awesome, that's a great resource. I've been having to search Reddit whenever I was rerolling a weapon to find the best perks. It's also a very good companion to this doc I found on reddit, which gives you the raw stats for weapons in the Crucible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L7FV9l4hXo2tHD3XlFUp854XvJIwTKFIPvASLduPPS4/edit#gid=0

If you're using Reddit to find out about Crucible stuff, you should take a look at /r/CruciblePlaybook. That's where people get deep into the mechanics.

This is Adam Orth-level hubris. I like Destiny's mechanics just fine but this makes me want to put the game down.

How not to treat your customers/clients 101.

Yeah, that eurogamer interview is awful. The DLC has always been an expensive proposition, especially in non-US regions where the prices are jacked way up. "You want it, you just don't know how much you want it yet" sounds like something you'd read in a Pick-Up Artist manual. Mostly it's disappointing because Bungie is normally pretty good about responding to the community, but Luke Smith comes across like a such a smug shithead in response to genuine concern.

Thorn and The Last Word are by far the most heavily used PvP guns (and probably/hopefully about to be nerfed).

I tried out Spare Change.25 for a bit, but it's got this weird up and to the right recoil that's really annoying and makes it hard to land multiple headshots. Something like Red Death is better where it's straight up and down. I think the Messenger may be similar (don't know first hand).

Agree that for PvP having proximity detonation is the most useful perk for rocket launchers, followed by tripod. Proximity means you don't have to be very accurate, can hit people who try to hide around corners, or even hit them out of the air...accuracy isn't a requirement.

I see a lot of talk about Final Round for the high impact sniper rifles because it means your last shot is a 1-hit body shot kill. But I'm a bad aim so I don't snipe that often.

"You want it, you just don't know how much you want it yet"

but Luke Smith comes across like a such a smug shithead in response to genuine concern.

I feel like he maybe gets the wrong end of the stick when it's transcribed. Like I could totally see this as a gently incredulous "do you see the absurdity of what you're saying? these are just emotes, how do you even care without having seen them? maybe you won't like them."

edit: which is not to say, that as the guy assigned to talk to press, he shouldn't have known better

You forgot to include No Land Beyond. Just letting you know.

:P Everyone seems to have one of those, I don't (wish I did, looks like fun). I didn't really include any exotics or unique things, mostly just stuff that's attainable or rerollable. Though I admit I put the Messenger on there with my fingers crossed.

This is Adam Orth-level hubris. I like Destiny's mechanics just fine but this makes me want to put the game down.

How not to treat your customers/clients 101.

This is another example in a string of public outrage that I just can't understand or appreciate. The problem is, I totally sympathize with any disappointment regarding his answers. I think that it really reeks of Luke's general way of carrying himself plus fatigue from being asked the same questions again and again throughout E3. The interviewer from Eurogamer remarked on Twitter that it was a really good-natured interview and he didn't have any personal problems with the answers. I just think that Luke really has no way of dictating the price and was told to tow the line of it being worth literally whatever people were asked to pay.

If you're using Reddit to find out about Crucible stuff, you should take a look at /r/CruciblePlaybook. That's where people get deep into the mechanics.

I highly recommend CruciblePlaybook as well, it's really helpful and surfaces some of the meta that you'd otherwise only get by being destroyed live in PvP.

Thorn and The Last Word are by far the most heavily used PvP guns (and probably/hopefully about to be nerfed).

I tried out Spare Change.25 for a bit, but it's got this weird up and to the right recoil that's really annoying and makes it hard to land multiple headshots. Something like Red Death is better where it's straight up and down. I think the Messenger may be similar (don't know first hand).

Agree that for PvP having proximity detonation is the most useful perk for rocket launchers, followed by tripod. Proximity means you don't have to be very accurate, can hit people who try to hide around corners, or even hit them out of the air...accuracy isn't a requirement.

I see a lot of talk about Final Round for the high impact sniper rifles because it means your last shot is a 1-hit body shot kill. But I'm a bad aim so I don't snipe that often.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Spare Change myself but people say it's really good and on paper one would agree. I just think it handles slow and fires waaaaay too slowly. It's kinda like Ill Will versus other hand cannons. 55A-Allfate is definitely my favorite of the bunch (minus the aforementioned, pined-for Messenger) because it fires pretty quickly and feels way more responsive. Specced properly, a lot of people compare it to the Messenger or Red Death.