melmer

Destiny

One trick for the Pocket Infinity bounty is that you can go into other darkness zones that are off the mission path and kill dudes there. It's usually a little easier since you aren't getting bombarded with enemies for the story encounter, it's just the standard spawns.

The Nightfalls are great because burns are a lot of fun. Fatebringer just destroys on arc burn since I think the Firefly perk (enemies explode on precision kill) AOE is also considered arc damage. Plus there's the 25% XP bonus for the week. And you have a chance at an exotic reward at the end. Good stuff.

After we did that I finally got around to running those new Queen's Wrath bounties. Really fun stuff and a good addition to the Patrol areas. Everything Bungie's done for this release has been really smart...I'm pretty pumped for HoW.

What do you mean by "going into other darkness zones off the mission path"? Do you mean non-public/instanced areas or something? I'm trying to think of what an example of such an area would be along the route to Omnigul in the last strike.

One thing that I've noticed since getting back into this game and poking around wikis and Reddit is how much lore stuff people glean from Grimoire entries and item descriptions. It's kinda weird, because people do the exact same thing for Bloodborne and I think that game gets a lot of praise for having a level of storytelling that requires you to observe the environment and dig deep into seemingly innocuous text. I imagine that Destiny doesn't get the same treatment because 1) the grimoires are out of the context of the game and 2) the setting is modern/future, so people aren't really looking for detailed, intricate design to the degree they would in a medieval-ish setting with ornate statues and such. It's a shame, because despite doing almost the same thing as Bloodborne the game gets brushed aside when it comes to story.

Anyways, this is the Reddit thread that got me thinking about this stuff - http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/36ekrt/hidden_lore_of_the_hive/

That's pretty cool stuff JonCole. I actually really like the way the story is done in this game. With all of the repetition week after week I kind of appreciate that I'm not getting blasted with heavy story stuff over and over. It's just a few sentences here and there from your robot pal to remind you that there is some shit going down for reasons and stuff. Plus there's a fair amount you can infer from the environments themselves.

I need to read up some more on that Grimoire stuff. I read through a number of them and it seemed like there was a fairly interesting story under the surface but I'm still missing a lot of entries.

More lore galore -

Traveler is a Dyson Sphere

There is a 5th, yet-unseen race of bad guys

Rasputin, his connections to Marathon/Halo, possible connections to Vex (read the comments)

If it's not obvious by now, I just wish I was home already playing HoW despite the fact that it's probably day 1 broken and there are probably server issues. 

Yeah, it's totally broken, a real disappointment.

Actually it's working fine and it's really awesome, sorry :(

Query, as someone coming back to Destiny who dropped out shortly before The Dark Below, and who is *extremely* intrigued by Prison of Elders/Firefight, what are the immediate get up to speed bullet points?

I've gathered the following outside the obvious "new gunz": currency revamps, light level increase via "promoting" your gear, "That Wizard" is back.

Anything I should be doing to get myself to get prepped for the Long Weekend?

What do you mean by "going into other darkness zones off the mission path"? Do you mean non-public/instanced areas or something? I'm trying to think of what an example of such an area would be along the route to Omnigul in the last strike.

One thing that I've noticed since getting back into this game and poking around wikis and Reddit is how much lore stuff people glean from Grimoire entries and item descriptions. It's kinda weird, because people do the exact same thing for Bloodborne and I think that game gets a lot of praise for having a level of storytelling that requires you to observe the environment and dig deep into seemingly innocuous text. I imagine that Destiny doesn't get the same treatment because 1) the grimoires are out of the context of the game and 2) the setting is modern/future, so people aren't really looking for detailed, intricate design to the degree they would in a medieval-ish setting with ornate statues and such. It's a shame, because despite doing almost the same thing as Bloodborne the game gets brushed aside when it comes to story.

Anyways, this is the Reddit thread that got me thinking about this stuff - http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/36ekrt/hidden_lore_of_the_hive/

Yeah, instanced areas. Like generally indoor areas to navigate to other spots or ones associated with paths for other missions. Like for Omnigul, I'll bet you could go back to the Rasputin bunker and find enemies there. Some strikes are more convenient for this than others.

The backstory for the Vault of Glass is actually pretty fun. This page has the Grimoire cards and some brief commentary. There's also plenty of reddit threads if you search around. It makes some of the bizarre text that pops up in the raid actually make sense (Ritual of Negation, Marked by the Oracles, etc). I keep waiting for them to add an in-game interface for these cards, but it has yet to happen...

Well this is already pretty exciting, just hit light level 31 purely buying armor from the NPC with Vanguard marks I had lying around. I also used Crucible marks to buy a new Scout Rifle from Dead Orbit and tried out the new gunsmithing feature. I burned 10 motes of light, but I ended up getting perks that reduce recoil significantly and make headshots blow dudes up (like Praedyth's Revenge). I'm so stoked!

Those keys you had a chance to pick up from the chests this week? I just used one at the end of Prison of Elders, I got a legendary auto rifle AND Thunderlord. That big chest doesn't mess around.

Yeah from what I've seen the Big Chest always gives an exotic and purple weapon (on 28 at least). I got a Red Death and the purple Queen's Wrath auto rifle. I also got a Gjallarhorn from the Nightfall! Keys are hard to come by though. I didn't have any drop for me last week, although I just ran the bounties and didn't farm them, and I think they only drop there and equally rarely from the small chests and the end of PoE.

Having gone through the story and lvl 28 PoE, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with this expansion so far. Even as a 32 in the lvl 28 PoE, things can get pretty crazy, with modifiers, a high enemy count, and sometimes mandatory objectives. God only knows how insane the high level versions will be. New strike and story missions have been fun too.

That mission in the Vault of Glass was a real standout. Oracles!

Is it just me or did they really crank up the drop rate yesterday? I got like 6 legendary drops and I took part in a few Crucible matches where practically every person got either a legendary (or two!) or an exotic. I wonder if my perception is just skewed because something significant is happening, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they baited the hook a little for people coming back to the game.

Is it just me or did they really crank up the drop rate yesterday? I got like 6 legendary drops and I took part in a few Crucible matches where practically every person got either a legendary (or two!) or an exotic. I wonder if my perception is just skewed because something significant is happening, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they baited the hook a little for people coming back to the game.

I don't know about other modes, but the Crucible gives alot more loot now. They also doubled the experience/marks you get from each match.

That mission in the Vault of Glass was a real standout. Oracles!

Oh man, I was grinning for that whole section, it was brilliant.

I don't know about other modes, but the Crucible gives alot more loot now. They also doubled the experience/marks you get from each match.

Ah, good to know. That said, I've been brushing up on both mark caps since I've started playing again. I wish they would raise it just a little, particularly since they seem to be giving out marks for everything in PvE.

Does anyone want to run the Trials of Osiris this weekend? I really want to get the new armor sets. I think I'm pretty competent, carried a handful of Salvage/Skirmish games to victory last night.

I might be up for it this weekend. No work on Monday!

I feel like as a group the problem is no one simply sends a message saying "wanna play?" if they see someone online. If anyone wants to run something, and I'm playing my PS4, send a message I'll probably say yes, even if I'm playing a different game.

I'll be off and on this weekend as well (no work Monday here too). I'd be down for running any of the new content so if you catch me on feel free to jump in. Be warned I'm exceedingly mediocre at PvP, but I still enjoy it in my own masochistic way.

One thing to do when grouping up is just make a party chat through the built in playstation system, since that way people can talk without having to actually be in the same fireteam (helpful when a person is in the middle of PvP or something and can't be joined). Plus then friends can just jump into the party and quickly check in on what a group is doing and if they need more.

Is that acceptable PSN social behavior? I didn't really know of that function of parties, just the practical one of literally making a room to talk in. So if I was looking for a fireteam to do a strike or something, it might be a good idea to start a party and people might just jump in?

At least look at what the person is doing in Destiny first. Whenever I do a raid on DestinyLFG, someone always jumps into the party to start talking to his friend, and it's really annoying when six of us are trying to call out oracles and one guy is taking bong rips. If you don't know, it's better to message someone before you jump into their group.

In my case, I don't mind if people jump into my party while I'm playing. I'd actually kind of prefer being able to just communicate verbally whether or not I'm available to party up rather than having to respond to messages. 

Yeah I mean I've only done it with people I've played a bunch with and felt comfortable jumping in on, not some LFG randos. For the rest, messaging is probably best. Mainly I was saying it's better than the in-game chat since you can talk without being in the same fireteam for whatever reason.

Man, this game could really use some sort of "looking for" or "interested in" system built in so I could just scan my friends list and know who's up for what.

I rarely have my mic plugged in, but the psn messaging is so slow, that just joining a party, plugging in my mic and saying "I can't play" or "I can" is much more preferable to me.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the audio quality with PSN party chat is much better than the audio quality of in-game chat. I've noticed with multiple games that it's been really hard to hear people clearly through in-game chat and then it tends to cut out for several seconds during loading screens and whatnot.

HoW leveling (putting this half so I remember as well as anyone else's benefit) -

• Etheric light can be obtained by running Nightfall missions and Prison of Elders
  • Seems like Etheric Light is a guaranteed drop from 34+ PoE once a week
  • Use Etheric Light to upgrade your armor before weapons, as increasing your light level ultimately improves both attack and defense
  • If all of your armor is 36 light, you'll be level 33. If all of your armor is 42 light, you'll be level 34.
  • Best/fastest route to 34 is using Exotic Shard to ascend Exotic Armor piece to 42, beat lv 32 PoE for Armor Core to trade to Variks for another 42 light piece, beat the Nightfall or L34 PoE for an Etheric Light to upgrade a 36L legendary to 42, run Trials of Osiris on the weekend to get the fourth level 42 armor piece.

I usually send messages through the PSN app on my tablet. It's way faster for me, but reading through the comments here has be realizing I might be inconveniencing you guys who have to type back with a controller.

Nah, it's cool. I also do all my messaging through the app. Nothing like being able to swype my replies instead of painfully going letter by letter.

So far it looks like 3 of us are showing available around the same time on Saturday. Is anyone else available around that time that hasn't entered their availability yet? My wife is trying to plan some weekend stuff and I'm hoping to lock a time down to avoid any conflicts.