melmer

Destiny

I sent out friend requests and look forward to hopefully playing with some of you guys. I already hit level 17 and I think I'm one or two story missions away from wrapping up Venus. At this point I don't think I've really done any strikes and have only really focused on story missions, bounties/patrols, and crucible matches. So I imagine there is still a decent amount out there I am still missing out on.

This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows how positive I generally am towards games I am playing but I am really really enjoying this. But a big part of that may be because I had the inverse effect of what a lot of people had going in. Unlike a lot of early adopters who were going off of the pre-launch hype, my expectations were fairly low when I finally got into this because I had seen article after article slamming the game for its lackluster story, repetitive nature, infuriating RNG, and other minor issues. Now granted, I still haven't hit level cap, but so far none of this stuff is bothering me in the slightest. Instead, I am seeing a bunch of elements that I think came together really well to make a compelling game that I can see myself playing for quite some time. Here's a list of some of my random thoughts:

• The graphics and aesthetic are really nice. So much gorgeous scenery and little details everywhere.
  • The soundtrack is great and combined with the aesthetic, makes for a wonderful atmosphere.
  • The gameplay is incredibly satisfying for me. Shooting, jumping, melee, grenades, and specials all seem very well tuned. I think this is the key reason why I don't see myself getting too frustrated with any grindiness. It is just fun to jump into an area and take dudes out and if the game will keep giving me reasons to do that I am more than happy to.
  • I really like the sprawling, open nature of a lot of the main hub areas. They seem open enough that I still feel like I am discovering new areas within them or new angles to approach things. Add in the speeder bike and I am quite enjoying zipping around and getting into trouble.
  • It seems like there is just enough variety to allow for a couple hours of play a day without it feeling too monotonous (and I'm sure I will change my tune on this somewhat as I play more). Between bounties, patrol missions, random public events, strikes, and crucible matches it seems like there is plenty to do. And again, because I find the gameplay so satisfying I really don't mind some of the mmo style tedium associated with some of this stuff.

Also, I think I kind of like that the story is just kind of lackluster and in the background. If I am going to be doing a lot of this stuff over and over I think I'd rather have that than some in your face overly epic shit. 

Bungie apparently announced a bunch of news for the House of Wolves expansion on a stream today. Lots of good stuff: http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/22/8470005/destiny-house-of-wolves-exchange-materials

-Upgrade any legendary or exotic weapon to the new max attack or armor to the new max light level using some new material that drops mostly in the expansion content but also more rarely in Nightfalls (for those w/out the expansion). So now you won't see everyone wearing the exact same endgame gear and old weapons won't become obsolete. Also the upgrade does NOT reset your xp progress, which was a shitty move they pulled for the previous expansion.

-Ability to exchange materials (ie ascendant shards <-> energy) or even buy those mats with Motes of Light via the Speaker.

-Ability to reroll perks on legendary weapons via the gunsmith.

These are all really good and smart updates. Now let's just hope the new content is good as well.

I was a bit gutted about not getting a new raid, but I'm definitely looking forward to HoW. Diversifying the endgame content is a smart move.

By the way, I don't know how many people are still playing Destiny, but in the next few weeks it'd be fun to organise a Thumbs raid night. If anyone's interested then let me know and we can work something out.

I'm not still playing, but depending on the timing, I'd be really interested. I just need to convince my partner to let me have the TV for a whole night.

I'd be up for a raid. I'll probably get back into it when the new DLC comes out so late May early June would be best for me. But so long as I have at least a weeks notice I can be good sooner then that. it would also have to be a weekend as I work nights.

I've been playing Destiny pretty much since it came out. I don't have loads of time to play all the time so i only have one character at lvl. 31. I keep intending to play other games in the little time i get. I always end up with Destiny though. It just lends itself to jumping in for a few hours each night. I'm still finding running a few strikes each night to try and get some good gear or weapons is continuing to hook me. 

Look forward to the Prison of Elders reveal. The general theory that it will be a horde mode type game mode sounds interesting. So far Bungie has really nailed HoW so I'm confident that there will be some nice surprises in the reveal. 

I'd absolutely be up for an Thumbs Raid. 

I haven't been playing lately but since I plunked down for the season pass, you can bet I'll be back when the next dlc drops.

The DLC is out in about 2 weeks time, how about we get together for a raid the weekend before? That's the 16th and 17th.

That works for me so long as it's vault of glass not the raid from the first DLC as I don't have that. But if the new DLC is any good I'll just pick up the season pass and grab both.

Personally I think Vault of Glass is more fun than Crota's End, but it depends what people want to do. Crota's End is still cool though, and since people always want to use exploits to get through it it'd be nice to play it legit for once.

I'll be out of town that weekend, but scheduling that works for everyone will be tough so it's no big deal if you go with that. Other weekends would probably be fine for me, but hard to say that far out.

On a separate note, both new modes are only three person teams, so getting groups together for those might a little easier to make happen. I think details on the arena mode are going to be released this week?

I have been playing this quite a lot lately and would love to join you guys if possible since there's no chance in hell I'd be able to get a group of 6 people together otherwise. Is level 27 high enough to do Vault of Glass or would I need to be a bit higher than that?

I think 28 was the recommended in November back when I was playing, but I always did fine at 27. Also we are talking about playing on PS4 right? I forgot to ask earlier.

27 is fine. People made the first attempts at VoG at level 26. The important thing is to make sure you've got maxed out weapons. There are mechanics where we have a time limit to kill things, so you can't be using weapons that aren't levelled.

Yes, I'm on PS4.

And I don't quite have the last two slots on my primary weapon upgraded because I am still trying to get all the ascendant energy to do so. I think each of the last upgrades take 6 ascendant energy each and I'm finding it really hard to come by.

It's alright if it's only missing a few upgrades. If you need ascendant materials, make sure to do the daily heroic story, and do a public event each day to get the reward package.

Before I forget again I'm IHateDRM75 on PSN if anyone wants to add me to their friends list. I'll be on a fair bit this weekend getting ready for next weeks raid.

Also since we're looking at doing a raid next weekend would there be any interest in doing the weekly Heroic strike this weekend?

I'll probably be on within the next hour or so just doing bounties and strikes. If anyone is playing and wants to party up feel free to shoot me an invite.

PS4: xXZeusthecatXx

I'm Mr_ButlerTron on PS4.

I would really like to do the raids. Anyone at that point? I would also be up for working through the "story" content with a new character if any folks are just starting out.

I guess I'm playing this game again, as I stayed up until 3am last night playing with Zeus and I'm booting it back up again. My PSN ID is jonac13, I'll be adding some people shortly.

Also, we already do have an Idle Thumbs clan, though I don't know what it'd do to make partying up easier.