melmer

Destiny

An orb of light is glowy thing usually generated by using your special ability. It reduces the cooldown for other players' specials if they run over them.

I'm in the US so I doubt our play times will line up often, but I'll shoot you a friend request anyway.

Sweet! I'm usually up at silly times over weekends, so shoot away!  PSN ID is actually N1nja_Squirrel, I double checked.

Damn I think I'm pretty hooked on this game. My previous problems were all sorted out thanks to the beauty that is the hand cannons. Now I want an exotic/legendary one. I also got the DLC over the weekend, I tried it, and got my ass routinely handed to me. I've also reached the level cap. What should I do now? Strikes and stuff? The end game is so poorly explained. :(

Pretty much. Do the strike playlists and get tokens, also do the dailies/weeklies. 

I really like the DLC strike I've played. It's fucking chaotic!

Yeah, the vendors now have gear with light levels high enough to get you to lvl 30, so do the strike playlists plus dailies/weeklies/bounties to get the multitudes of currencies needed for that gear (commendations, rep, and marks...stupidly convoluted, I know). Remember to get gear with the Strength/Intelligence/Discipline attributes you want. Only the Crota Raid has gear to get to level 32.

Is it possible to 31 without any crota gear? I'm slowly levelling up a vendor chest piece that is uglier than my VoG chest piece because it has higher top end light but bleh it is uglier.

I think you might just barely get there if you have an exotic in one slot and everything is maxed out. But yeah, otherwise you are stuck with Crota gear which is kinda lame. Hopefully for the next expansion they come out with either some sort of cosmetic armor system or a way to upgrade old gear.

I've hit a road block where I can't past 29 (mats, it's the god damn mats that I refuse to farm), and thus no one will take me for the weekly/nightfall on destinylfg. Bleh. It's like WoW gear score all over again.

If it makes you feel better, the nightfall only has a chance of giving you mats (I think the reward pool is mats, coins, and legendary/exotic gear) and I don't think the weekly heroic strike ever does (just coins and engrams). The daily story is guaranteed to give a few at higher difficulties though and usually doing public events will give you some. Or you can run the Vault of Glass which, even on normal difficultly, should give you a good haul (of course if you are trying for shards the RNG will sense this and give you only energy).

Even for players at the endgame it's still useful for a couple things. Mainly that ascendant energy is still needed to level up legendary weapons and there are a few weapon drops that are really good (notably you can get primary weapons with elemental damage on them which are super useful for nightfalls with burn modifiers on), plus several of the drops have chances of giving exotics. Normal difficultly will be harder to find a group for though, since a lot of the good stuff only drops in hard mode.

I just looked at your gear...you might hit 30 once your helmet is upgraded a few slots. Then you could do HM VoG without being underleveled (or even Crota, which would be good in its own way).

Mechanics are roughly the same. More oracles, some extra gorgons in the maze, and maybe some extra enemies at the last fight? Having good weapons certainly helps but probably isn't necessary. Being 30+ is the big thing because there's a big damage penalty (both dealth and received) when you are underleveled.

Edit: Also no revives (per encounter), which is probably the toughest part

I think it's like a 25% penalty/benefit based on level difference, so if you're level 25 for the level 27 raid you'd be at a 50% damage penalty and level 28 would have a 25% damage benefit. I could be wrong though.

Got kinda burned on the game in the beginning for not being even close to what Bungies buzz word marketing made it out to be. Had a lot of fun experiencing it for the 1st time with friends but after seeing all the freemium economy BS everywhere I sort of dropped out at lvl 27 (couldnt even run the raid because of no matchmaking). I was thinking of coming back to it with an adjusted attitude but now its impossible to find anyone to play with since all my friends pretty much rage quit the game after a few unfortunate Cryptarch incidents. :) So i was thinking if there's people here willing to run a few strikes or even a raid every now and then? :) Im in Finland tho so theres the time difference of course.

PSN ID: Sutku

Griddle you can also buy mats with Vanguard / Crucible credits if you really dislike farming and aren't getting them enough as bounty rewards (5x patrol missions in the Cosmodrome bounty give 10 spinmetal for example). I tend to buy them with the credits my alts accrue.

So I finally started putting some more time into this and I freaking love this game. It is totally my cup of tea.

My only problem is that I'm only level 12 and still a little overwhelmed at all the different kinds of reputation, vendors, emblems, and other little odds and ends I keep picking up. Some of it is starting to make sense but I've just been figuring it out as I go so I'm not really sure what to focus on.

I also really want to team up with some people to do some of these story and patrol missions but I can't seem to figure out a way to make that happen and I don't know anyone that is playing this around the same level as me. Is there any kinds of way to look for a group in game or so you have to coordinate that elsewhere?

Some tips since you're level 12:

1) save (do not identify) any purple engrams until you're level 20. Consider doing the same with blue engrams unless you're swimming in them.

2) similarly, save any ascendant shards or energy until you have a sense what gear you are going to stick with* since they can be a drag to gather

The reason for this is that levels post 20 are equipment based and doing this will give you a head start on the equipment grind since engrams have their level fixed based on what your level is when you decrypt them.

*This should be legendary gear, but note that legendaries are not all equivalent. pre dlc non raid legendary < pre dlc raid legendary < dlc legendary (which you dont actually need the dlc to get, just they were introduced in the dlc) < dlc raid legendary

So what you'll want to end up with will depend on if you can be bothered to raid and/or if you got the dlc.

oh also the reason to save blue engrams is they have a tiny chance to decrypt into purple gear, but if you already have a few purp engrams saved for a particular gear slot you probably don't need to bother saving that type of blue engram. The reason you want a few is because the armour parts have a chance of decrypting into something off-class. Everybody can use every weapon though.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely save some of that stuff for level 20 and already popped another 3 levels last night.

I saw in the roster menu that you can set your fireteam to public. Does that allow randoms to join your group with voice chat and stuff? I've been able to just randomly join some dudes in some of the public events while doing patrol missions but not much beyond that.

Also, I'm playing on PS4.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely save some of that stuff for level 20 and already popped another 3 levels last night.

I saw in the roster menu that you can set your fireteam to public. Does that allow randoms to join your group with voice chat and stuff? I've been able to just randomly join some dudes in some of the public events while doing patrol missions but not much beyond that.

Also, I'm playing on PS4.

Not sure about allowing randoms to join your group. I do know that if you do strikes (but not, I think, the special weekly/nightfall strikes) there's matchmaking and you have the option of turning on voice if you want to.

I don't know if there's overlap in our playtimes (I have odd work hours), but unless I'm already grouped with someone I'm usually game to group up for whatever even though I might be relatively overlevelled for whatever it is. I have a couple of shotguns I want to level up and am terrible with (one an exotic that is oddly a primary weapon) so if I use those I probably won't be a nuisance in terms of taking all your kills. dc_juv3nal if we're not already psn pals.