melmer

Destiny

We did! Three of us got together at least (JonCole, Korax, and myself) and got three random people from destinlfg or whatever it is. Very different for sure, but I had fun. Probably helped that several people already knew what to do so we were never stuck for long. Makes me wish there was even a bit of that variety in the regular missions. I'd be willing to do it again if anyone on here ever wants to.

I'd love to get that raid in. My Warlock is 26, close to 27. 

Well, this is dumb. I'm loling so hard - 

Man, of all the things this game didn't need.  This is just the icing on the cake of all the needless things Destiny has packed into it.  I wonder if this kind of thing is going to continue until Destiny almost becomes another game entirely.

Has anybody made a Tumbler Tumblr to showcase all those sweet Tumbling Tumble gifs?

I feel like after watching that video again, I get what bothers me about this game.  It clearly is a game where emergent behavior can occur, but Bungie seems as though they are trying to directly systemize or support that in some way.  Whether or not this is a good thing I suppose is up to you, although thus far it seems as though all these one-off things Bungie has been doing have lead to frustration more than anything.  I would imagine that down the road it will lead to a game that does a few specific things very well but is a hassle otherwise.

Congratulations, and thanks! What parts did you work on? 

I worked on various cinematics, primarily the Stranger’s Call sequence after you first meet the Vex, as well as other stuff (Crucible map intros, prototyping NPCs for the Tower)... arguably everyone’s favorite parts of the game :P

I have a 28 Hunter and would be happy to raid with you guys sometime. Though despite what the trailer suggests, nobody on our raid team should play dubstep over the voice channel... little known fact that Atheon hates electronic music, y’all.

They seriously made an unironic dubstep video game montage to promote their game on the internet?

Is it possible to use dubstep unironically anymore?

If anyone wants to try and get together this weekend to do the raid, I'd be interested, otherwise I won't be free for something like that until after Thanksgiving. Also there's a Destiny thread in the Multiplayer subforum that has a bunch of our psn id's (mine is spork_armada if you're lazy) though obviously people are playing a lot less frequently at this point.

Jdawg, story content aside, those cutscenes are all well done, so congrats man.

Is it possible to use dubstep unironically anymore?

If anyone wants to try and get together this weekend to do the raid, I'd be interested, otherwise I won't be free for something like that until after Thanksgiving. Also there's a Destiny thread in the Multiplayer subforum that has a bunch of our psn id's (mine is spork_armada if you're lazy) though obviously people are playing a lot less frequently at this point.

Jdawg, story content aside, those cutscenes are all well done, so congrats man.

I'd be up for the raid maybe Friday or Saturday night if timing worked out. I have an extremely pregnant wife so I can't do middle of the day or anything. 

Jdawg, I enjoyed those cutscenes as well, good work.

I am loving this game way more than expected, still playing almost every day. I am locked at 29 because RNG, which is my only complaint (no guaranteed path to max level).

Not all the way, but you can get pretty close if you rank 3 the Iron Banner event on right now. Apparently it resets so you have to get it done before it ends or start over next time though. Not that I am bothering because I am all the way Dragon Aging at the moment.

Between this and the dubstep Sparrow thing, Destiny has literally killed irony. 

That video is like

only it isn't a joke. 

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for the higher-up's discussions that led to both Paul McCartney being commissioned to do a song for this game and the creation of that video. The reaction when they saw the final product must have been something else.

On a slightly more relevant note, the first expansion comes out tomorrow. I'm excited to see what this new raid contains, and hopefully there's a bit more (any) variety to the new missions.

Youtube

What in the fucking world.

Wow, that's incredibly cheesy. 

So from what I've heard, if you don't buy the DLC, your game is somewhat crippled. No loot drops from strikes etc. That news just makes me not want to buy the DLC, and tell Bungie to get fucked.

Edit. Also the weekly strike/nightfall appear to be locked for people who don't have the expansion. 

I think the weekly/nightfall are only locked when the mission is from the DLC, which I guess is both of them this week. Next week they should open back up. I understand this though it can definitely be handled better...they should have had an alternate mission for people without the DLC so they aren't locked out of that content every 6 weeks or whatever.

I just read a description of the strike playlist update on reddit and yeah it's pretty shitty. They added a lvl 26 playlist and it's now the only one that drops engrams AND it's only available if you have the DLC. I don't think it's a complete shutout...like you can still get non-engram drops from the others, but those don't have the chance of decrypting to things like strange coins or legendaries. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an unforeseen consequence of the combination of adding a new, harder playlist for the DLC and only having the top playlist get engrams and Bungie not even considering the case of people without the DLC (just like this unavailable weekly thing). I'm trying to be an optimist here and understand how this could have been a mistake. Hopefully they patch it.

I'm still a bit disappointed with the game post level 20, so I kinda want Bungie to be the bad guy here. If they patch it, good on them, can't blame them for an honest mistake. If they don't, it will just seem like an abhorrent cash grab, even if it is only a mistake. 

Didn't David Bowie....?

Ah yes:

Bowie was at least in Omikron, and (supposedly) contributed some to the story and world of it.

I played some Destiny last night, and I forgot how much I enjoy it. The game play is just divine. 

I just felt like it was pointless because I know I'm never going to raid. So...what's the point? I've put easily 60+ hours in, so I know the game play inside out. I just wish there was something to keep me interested because it's not a bad game. 

I've just gotten into Destiny, it's pretty good fun!

Griddle, I'll happily do a strike or w/e with you if you're up for that.

I am totally, but I play at weird times. I usually play around 7am before work, then occasionally in the evening. I'm planning on getting the expansion this weekend too. Dunno why but it's sucked me back in.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

I usually play in the evening. Next time I see you online I'll pop you a message :)

I was tempted by the DLC too. Is it worth getting if you haven't completed the main story? I'm only like level 10.

I really love the combat, which I really wasn't expecting at all, especially as Halo's combat didn't do anything for me.

Even though it's a thinly veiled MMO, and I hate how headshots doesn't guarantee an insta-kill, I'm still really enjoying this game. I've heard that the main focus end-game is the crucible, which really doesn't appeal to me, as I generally don't like PvP, so I'm expecting to probably drop this as soon as I've finished the main story line.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

I usually play in the evening. Next time I see you online I'll pop you a message :)

I was tempted by the DLC too. Is it worth getting if you haven't completed the main story? I'm only like level 10.

I really love the combat, which I really wasn't expecting at all, especially as Halo's combat didn't do anything for me.

Even though it's a thinly veiled MMO, and I hate how headshots doesn't guarantee an insta-kill, I'm still really enjoying this game. I've heard that the main focus end-game is the crucible, which really doesn't appeal to me, as I generally don't like PvP, so I'm expecting to probably drop this as soon as I've finished the main story line.

Cool! Also, I have another character I'm leveling who is also 10. I don't know about the expansion being worth it, but I'll tell you when I've tried some of the missions.

The headshot thing was completely fine for me because I've never played more than an hour of CoD, but have hundreds of hours invested into Boarderlands. 

I don't bother with the crucible, I've messed around in it, and it's more enjoyable than CoD, but less enjoyable than Halo. I like how with supers, even a bad player like me can get a few kills. I think the main end-game is a more Diablo style thing. Fight the same bosses over and over to get loot (or upgrade loot). It's pretty satisfying to do if you find the combat enjoyable, but I can see why some people would find it tedious. 

Also, obviously the raids.

I still play this pretty regularly. The expansion is alright. The extra missions are at least a little novel in that the story progression (using the term "story" loosely here) combine some standard missions with some overworld activities and finish with the new strike. It's still essentially more Destiny though, nothing drastically different. The Crota raid is good too, though I do think I like the Vault of Glass better. My recommendation would be to go through the vanilla content first, notably the first raid if you can, before picking up the expansion. At that point you will know if you're ok with running these missions again and again (a la weekly strikes, daily stories, and bounties). Like Griddlelol, I still enjoy it because I find the combat so fun, but some people understandably get bored of it.

I'm in the US so I doubt our play times will line up often, but I'll shoot you a friend request anyway.

I don't own Destiny nor have I ever played it, but I've seen various streams/let's plays of it and one thing keeps bugging me.  What the heck is an Orb of Light?  I keep seeing a message that some player has generated an Orb of Light but I have no idea what this means and I'm entirely too lazy to look it up.