melmer

Destiny

What with engrams dropping loot equal to their level now, I spent some motes on an exotic engram over the weekend and got the Knucklehead Radar out of it.

Knuckleradarhelm.png

Courtesy Destiny Wiki

The big perk here is the Sensor Pack upgrade, which allows you to aim down the sights of a primary weapon and still have your radar function. I am very excited about this, since it seems like it will be super useful in the Crucible, and I have to grind out the 25 k/d bonus for Invective (did I get that bounty two weeks ago and just let it sit? Yes. Yes I did.).

Also I was running around with... spork? on Sunday afternoon and it appeared that Xur decided to peace out early on Sunday. Is this normal? Or am I crazy?

What with engrams dropping loot equal to their level now, I spent some motes on an exotic engram over the weekend and got the Knucklehead Radar out of it.

Knuckleradarhelm.png

Courtesy Destiny Wiki

The big perk here is the Sensor Pack upgrade, which allows you to aim down the sights of a primary weapon and still have your radar function. I am very excited about this, since it seems like it will be super useful in the Crucible, and I have to grind out the 25 k/d bonus for Invective (did I get that bounty two weeks ago and just let it sit? Yes. Yes I did.).

Also I was running around with... spork? on Sunday afternoon and it appeared that Xur decided to peace out early on Sunday. Is this normal? Or am I crazy?

Yeah that was me (my old username here). If you look at the gallery image here it says he appears/disappears at 9am Friday/Sunday. So he was already gone :(

Hey so I haven't done the weekly strike yet...anyone want to give that a go this evening?

Also I'm jealous of all these exotic items you guys are showing off...I have yet to get any...

I got my second exotic of the weekend from a random drop at the Crucible, which I've been grinding seemingly forever for Crucible marks. I don't quite know what to make of it yet, odd thing is that it's a shotgun that is also a primary weapon. So, theoretically I could roll with two shotguns? Eager to try it out. It's called Universal Remote -

xn1SG6D.png

I got the same drop this weekend. I went to play a Crucible match for the first time in like a week, and it dropped for me instantly.

My best secondary is also a shotgun, so I have been rolling with two shotguns. It's kinda weird to do, because it means you really have no long range options. It's made bosses more difficult because you can't just engage at range, and most bosses seem to have a disincentive from getting too close. My only ranged options are my grenade, super, and rocket launcher. It's really changed my play style because now I have to use those ranged options while closing the gap, so that by the time they wake up, I'm in their face with shotguns.

I understand that, eventually, the shotgun apparently gets some upgrade so it can be used at rifle range, but for now, I've had to adopt a full kamikaze style to make this work.

I feel like it'll be most valuable in Skirmish and Rumble pvp modes, where 9:10 engagements are close range. Did have an amusing time using it while grinding bounties yesterday, though I kept noticing how slow it is to reload.

> implying Xur actually ever sells anything worthwhile

Sounds good though, I should be home by then and online by 9pm eastern at the latest.

How are those at 27/28 feeling about Destiny right now? Seen a lot of people complaining that there's only about 3-6 hours content per week at that level range. Personally, I think that's pretty cool, it means I won't feel obligated to playing and grinding out rep/marks/mats (erugh mats are the worst). 

Kinda looking forward to it as a part-time game, that I play for specific weekly things, which will let me play other games too. Since right now it's eating up my gaming time share. 

On the topic of Xur, I read somewhere that the items he sells are slightly weaker than the same versions you get from random drops. Don't know if anyone has any data, but it'd be cool to check. If anyone has Helm of the Saint -14 they bought from Xur I could compare it to the one I got from a random drop. 

I feel the same way I've always felt: that the game is shallow and shockingly badly designed. However, jetpacking around shootin' things - the more mechanical aspects - are a lot of fun, so I play an hour or two here and there and enjoy it. I never thought I'd think of a massively expensive new IP from bungie as a flawed gem, but here we are.

xurs items are randomized just like drops, so have the minuscule variations in stats. These variations are so meaningless you'd have to be a crazy person to care though, and they are just as likely to be 'better' then a random drop you found.

Yeah I'm actually really happy with where I am right now level-wise; I'll pop on for a short bit every evening to run a strike or two, do a daily, but I don't think I play more than an hour of Destiny on any given evening. It's freed up my Game Time, which is nice, since Destiny's run the yard since it launched.

Bungie needs to fix the inability to properly punish those who quit out of matches. I don't know what it is about the Iron Banner stuff that people seem to be worried about losing, but my team lost 2 or 3 times in a row because we didn't immediately pull into the lead and half the team dropped out.

That said, there is nothing about the Iron Banner that makes me want to care about it. The stuff the Banner rep is selling is terrible. I don't care about the emblems, I don't need another armband (especially because I'm in deep with the FWC), there's one piece of armor (that's worse than what I have), and one weapon - a machine gun that may be on par with the one I have, but is nowhere near as upgraded, so meh.

Yeah I can understand the allure of PvP events for some, but just like I'm sure a bunch of people didn't enjoy killing Draksis over and over again with Solar/Void/Arc Burn, Epic, and <insert Juggler or Lightswitch here> for the same Queen weapons/armor, I'm not super into a PvP event where The Best Gear Wins.

On the note of the Queen's missions and the recent increase in Legendary drops via quests, does anyone else think it would be cool if on occasion (random, maybe like 10% of the time?) disenchanting/disassembling legendary gear had a chance to drop ascendant materials? I think that would be cool. I picked up probably 20 Queen's Guard Vests, and I uh, I only need one.

On the note of the Queen's missions and the recent increase in Legendary drops via quests, does anyone else think it would be cool if on occasion (random, maybe like 10% of the time?) disenchanting/disassembling legendary gear had a chance to drop ascendant materials? I think that would be cool. I picked up probably 20 Queen's Guard Vests, and I uh, I only need one.

They do, with the exception of the Queen's Guard. And the Queen's Guard stuff did for the first couple days before it was hotfixed because of reasons. The only thing I've used my Vanguard marks for is buying legendary armor pieces and stripping them down for the Shards to upgrade the gear I'm actually wearing.

Every time I've broken down a Legendary item I've gotten Ascendant upgrade materials (granted, I've only done it like three times). As Korax said, a good use of marks you don't need is to buy legendaries from merchants to break down immediately.

I still have the bounty for completing a weekly strike from two days ago, anyone want to do this week's tonight? I could be available after 8pm EDT, as seems to be the time we're most available.

Finally had my first Legendary drop tonight - Shotgun, quickly followed by my 2nd - auto rifle. Now only a small amount of crucible rep before I hit rank 2 and I can finally buy a few pieces with my big stack of marks, to get me above lvl 24. Destiny has its hooks in me again it seems.

Anybody attempted the raid yet?

Finally had my first Legendary drop tonight - Shotgun, quickly followed by my 2nd - auto rifle. Now only a small amount of crucible rep before I hit rank 2 and I can finally buy a few pieces with my big stack of marks, to get me above lvl 24. Destiny has its hooks in me again it seems.

Anybody attempted the raid yet?

good combo, the two strongest weapons in pvp :B

I run the raid every week. It's fantastic, and not all that difficult to pug, despite Bungie's claims.The real challenge is finding a group with no obnoxious people.

Bungie needs to fix the inability to properly punish those who quit out of matches. I don't know what it is about the Iron Banner stuff that people seem to be worried about losing, but my team lost 2 or 3 times in a row because we didn't immediately pull into the lead and half the team dropped out.

That said, there is nothing about the Iron Banner that makes me want to care about it. The stuff the Banner rep is selling is terrible. I don't care about the emblems, I don't need another armband (especially because I'm in deep with the FWC), there's one piece of armor (that's worse than what I have), and one weapon - a machine gun that may be on par with the one I have, but is nowhere near as upgraded, so meh.

you're not wrong about Iron Banner, but if it's anything like the Queens event (and everything is so copy & pasted it probably is) there's a lot more rewards, you just can't see them until you hit rank 3, because reasons.

the amount of grinding required to hit rank 3 is so ludicrous it's basically a moot point though.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that you only get Iron Banner rep if you win the game, nothing if you lose which would explain why people are dropping out mid match. No penalty system for quitting means it's easier and quicker to just jump into a new game instead.

Or some sort of time limit on when you can join a new game after quitting/disconnecting. Preferably one that gets exponentially worse the more constant the quitting.

Anyone putting together a VoG group for this weekend? I finally hit 26 and I'm ready to see what all the fuss is about.

I'd be up for it. I'm currently 28, might be 29 by that time.

Or some sort of time limit on when you can join a new game after quitting/disconnecting. Preferably one that gets exponentially worse the more constant the quitting.

I'd be up for it. I'm currently 28, might be 29 by that time.

That's basically what deserter debuff was/is. 

I'm 27 at the moment, aiming for 28 by the end of the weekend. I'd totally be up for a raid, also any nightfall strikes if people are doing them.

Count me in for a Raid. Hopefully by this weekend I should have maxed out Defender, which could be handy.

Me too! I've been idly starting anew with a Titan, but have a lvl 27 or so Hunter. Disclaimer, I am really bad with gamepads.