melmer

Destiny

Yeah! We had the same thing when we beat Draksis for the first time after four wipes. "We are all god-beings, bestow unto us our Phat Loot"

Finally crushing a really hard mission in Destiny gives me a rush I haven't gotten from a game in a long time, and that means a lot to me.

Hitting that dumb dance button after an brutally tough run is so so satisfying and I laugh like an idiot every time.

One thing that stinks about that run up to 20 is that if I want to start a different character I have to do it all again :(

Hitting that dumb dance button after an brutally tough run is so so satisfying and I laugh like an idiot every time.

One thing that stinks about that run up to 20 is that if I want to start a different character I have to do it all again :(

I really enjoyed the 1-20 ascent.  Leveling felt pretty fast: played mostly solo, splitting my time between story, explore and crucible.  Hit level 20 by the time I was halfway through Venus.  At this point I'm happily squanching through the rest of story on "easy" mode, getting the experience for it (seems like you get the experience bonus for finishing each difficulty mode, so I might as well do all the normals now).  I find myself completely transfixed, yet totally relaxed.  The prospect of leveling up the other classes to 20 sounds fun to me...

The run to 20 probably goes a lot quicker having been through it once and knowing what to do. I mean I'm really close to maxxing out the abilities on my other subclass, so in effect it's like I did the run to 20 again, right? And it doesn't feel like it's taken the same amount of time. One thing you could do to speed it up is save a set of level 16 blue weapons that your main would otherwise junk. That would give your alt a nice boost once they hit 16.

Also, from a purely time invested to xp gained standpoint, I feel like the easy vanguard bounties are better efficiency than just running (non-daily/weekly at least) story missions or raids. In particular: punch 30 dudes, kill 20 dudes without getting hurt, gain 9000xp without dying, collect x resources, and do 6 patrol missions are all pretty quick to knock off (well maybe the 9000xp one less so, but if you do it on earth/cosmodrone it's at least easy once you're leveled enough for the enemies there).

Started up a second character last night!  I must be better at this game, because the first batch of missions felt like cake compared to my memory of them.

Some nice surprises:  Glimmer carries over between your two characters.  I was able to switch to the other sub-class after level 2.

Loot cave seems to be patched.  I got there, curious to see if my level 4 character would get some loot drops to help speed up the leveling process.  After two rounds of the cave, the small group that was there started getting swarmed from all sides.  Wizards started appearing. Then yellow knights.  With the levels of the enemies slowly rising.  It got NUTS.  My level 4 character stood no chance!

I love that they created a punishment for those camping at the cave.

Hey, sincere apologies to spork, Jon, and juv3nal for last night; my internet decided it was going to be a fickle demon-beast, and then a power surge hit as well, knocking out pretty much everything :(

Things got back up and running, but I was in no mood to continue to get kicked from a match every five seconds. I might be playing Destiny a bit less these next couple of days; this mounting frustration with my own network (I can't just blame Bungie) and Hyrule Warriors coming out is probably going to distract me. That said, if you shoot me a message on PSN it should show up on my phone, and I'll see if I can make some convoluted set up involving wires and Vitas and sitting right next to the WAP.

love that they created a punishment for those camping at the cave.

I was in the same situation with my level 26 character a few nights ago, and found out this is an event that seems to happen under certain conditions.  Apparently when enough high level characters get together an invasion event can occur for a bit where you just get swarmed with enemies.  It was chaotic fighting through those waves, and an incredible amount of fun just running into the spawn area and fighting like mad to kill them all before they made it out.  In this case the best thing is to equip the upgrades that drop energy balls for your team mates, run 2 or 3 people into the cave and start spamming supers.

Yeah, it's just an occasional alternate to the normal Warsat event that happens in that area. There's one that happens on Venus, as well.

Yeah, it's just an occasional alternate to the normal Warsat event that happens in that area. There's one that happens on Venus, as well.

Interesting!!  I figured Events were all officially marked on the HUD and we got ratings for them, etc.  Neat that sometimes stuff just happens.

I love that they created a punishment for those camping at the cave.

That's not really a punishment, it's tons of fun and there's no penalty for dying, but they apparently did just nerf the cave:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Hot-Fix---09252014/en/News/News?aid=12190

The Hive of the holy “Treasure Cave” have realized the futility of their endless assault on Skywatch and have retired to lick their wounds and plan their next attack.

Hahaha... nooooooooooo!

I noticed that the game got updated and decided to check whether the loot cave was patched or not. The respawn rates did seem much slower. Then the madness with wizards and knights began. It was fun. Rest in peace loot cave.

But yeah, the loot cave thing is pretty dumb. It's a shame that late game leveling is such a pain without it.

Hey, sincere apologies to spork, Jon, and juv3nal for last night; my internet decided it was going to be a fickle demon-beast, and then a power surge hit as well, knocking out pretty much everything :(

Man you got disconnected literally seconds before we finished that queen's wrath mission.

You guys are probably right about the 2nd character. Maybe I'll try out a Hunter over the weekend...

Interesting!!  I figured Events were all officially marked on the HUD and we got ratings for them, etc.  Neat that sometimes stuff just happens.

There's a brief, easy-to-miss message that pops up right before it happens that says something to the effect of "enemy forces are moving against each other," but yeah, no special objective markers or anything like normal public events have.

I've leveled a second character to 6 so far, so if anyone wants to play some low-level story co-op, let me know.

Man you got disconnected literally seconds before we finished that queen's wrath mission.

Oh my god I saw the lifebar, yelled "WE GOT IT" and then *bang* everything goes black

I've cursed at video games before, but the cascade of excessively loud profanities that spewed from my mouth were Next Level

More disappointing than the loot cave is this -

Material rewards for dismantling Queen's Wrath gear will no longer provide ascendant materials, but missions will continue to drop Legendary items

I didn't know you could do that, but if I had known that farming Queen's Wrath gear could result in salvaged rare upgrade materials I'd have been doing it like crazy. I desperately need ascendant shards and energy.

There's a brief, easy-to-miss message that pops up right before it happens that says something to the effect of "enemy forces are moving against each other," but yeah, no special objective markers or anything like normal public events have.

I've leveled a second character to 6 so far, so if anyone wants to play some low-level story co-op, let me know.

Oh I'd probably be down for that. Got a couple of legendary pieces of hunter gear that have been sitting around gathering dust.

Two things I've found annoying about the second character:  not being able to skip cutscenes and the fact that the story missions all have to be replayed in order to open up the maps.  Had been hoping I could just pick and choose which missions to play as I leveled a second.

Hunter Bladedancer is awesome!  Jumps are very tight compared to the floaty warlock and that super is just plain fun.  I can see how that could be devastating in crucible...

Did you guys read the dev notes they put out? I thought the comments on future weapon tweaks was interesting. I'm especially curious to see how it affects PvP, which is currently an auto-rifle party.

wow, I am used to PR being relentlessly positive but those notes are embarrassing

describing the loot cave:

"The social experience of a cave farming run is amazing: the herding to get a team of Guardians all behind the line and firing in the right direction, the rush to grab the loot, the scramble when the panic wave starts, the beckoning glow from inside the cave. The speed at which the community organized around this activity was inspiring and humbling to us."

good lord. For those who haven't experienced this wonder, its a tiny cave where people sit afk and borderline exploit the games broken loot system.

sounds like some much needed changes though, amid the fluff. I'm personally glad they're buffing little Thorn! I love handcannons, and getting Thorn was substantial grinding capped by a really exciting fight, but it's... not an amazing weapon.

oh yeah, and if anyone has this on PS3(three(3)), add me! PSN: ghink with a note that says 'thumb' or something. I'm high enough level to do anything, have a mic, and am reasonably skilled at shooting aliens and mans (rock solid credentials)

Anyone else a little frustrated there isn't more matchmaking for some of the missions? I am simply not good enough to solo the Weeklies and none of the friends I play with want to do them. : ' (

Yeah, I don't like how there's no matchmaking for the weeklies. 

I'm also kind of annoyed at how shit the chat system is. There's no quick way to send an invite, and no easy way to send a reply. You have to go through the playstation OS which is slow as fuck when you're trying to invite someone, or quickly sending a reply of "done in 5 mins."

I'm off work today, so if anyone wants to do Queen's Wrath stuff, hit me up. I'll be gritting my teeth and getting 20 scout rifle headshots in the meantime.

I was reading somewhere earlier that this game was rushed out for the September date. So stuff like the Grimoire cards were supposed to be available in game but had to be cut. So hopefully there'll be quite a sizeable update that'll fix a lot these grievances, especially considering how many copies they sold. Better/more matchmaking has to be on the cards?

I've done the strike playlist maybe 7 or 8 times and have gone to the Moon almost every fucking time! what the hell. I don't want to shoot that Moon troll in the gonads ever again!

Thats my problem; there's loads of fun to be had with the game BUT i can't access it because i'm stuck in a lottery machine, going round and round and being spat out on the moon every fucking draw. FUCK YOU DALE WINTON!