melmer

Destiny

#Destiny #BecomeLegend

i4hnfysttivkkl3lsgmw.gif

I don't think i'll turn this game on again :shrug:

Ugh, I know, right? I can't believe Bungie somehow overlooked a single minor exploit that I can easily ignore and has no real effects on my enjoyment of Destiny. Video games are dead. I'm throwing my consoles in the trash, setting my PC on fire, and running out into the woods to live my life as a naked forest hermit.

Yeah, color me similarly unbothered by that GIF. I guess it may actually impact me when I do Iron Banner stuff in October, but there's not really a loot economy for PvP - from what I can tell, all of the stat bars are relatively balanced and even legendaries/exotics don't have such gamebreaking special attributes that I'm negatively impacted by other dudes spending hours shooting continuously into a cave. For PvE, I don't know why I should be bothered what other people are doing and I don't want to do it too much myself because 1) it's boring 2) it doesn't pay off THAT much, at least in my experience.

So the Queen's Wrath quests are certainly something. I hope everyone's headshot game is on point; time to bust out the hand cannons, snipers, and scout rifles.

Oh, and on the topic of that .gif: what is that level 15 doing there when there is a 0% chance legendary engrams will drop for a 15? Oh, maybe he's chilling with his friends, because part of the allure of the loot cave is to just grab some buds and shoot the breeze while grinding it out, same as you would in any other MMORPG.

I hate to keep drawing everything back to FFXIV, but it's the most recent "proper" MMO I played, and the loot cave just reminds me of Brayflox Hard runs. It was the easiest way to grind for a necessary item, and you could do the dungeon in about 5 minutes. You'd end up doing it over and over for about an hour or more, and it became second nature. We spent most of the runs just chatting about life and drinking, with the dungeon run essentially just serving as a conduit for us to catch up with each other.

I dunno. No harm, no foul.

Yeah, same here. Had a friend in Guild Wars that could solo the final boss really quickly that would drop a rare material item every time without fail. We'd just go and shoot the shit with him, plus he would take along a few scrub randos who would pay him to do it. Grinding "exploits" is practically essential to MMO culture.

There's no matchmaking for anyone else on the weekly heroic strike right? Every time I've tried to jump into it, I just end up on my own. Don't see the reasoning for leaving it out when normal strikes are all automatic co-op?

Man, I so wish that random co-op was an option for every mission in the game, I'd actually go back and play them.

Heads up warning to anyone doing Queen's Wrath bounties; cheesing the "Archon Slayer" quest by just doing it on easy will force you to sit through the whole cutscene where the Speaker yaps forever afterwards. Weigh your time accordingly; the mission is short enough that you can do it in five minutes and just unload a full machine clip into Riksis for a quick kill, but you'll get another five minutes of awful blah blah after.

Source: I made that mistake

I've got a lvl 23 Warlock on 360; looking for people to do daily/weekly missions and maybe eventually the Vault of Glass with?? My gamertag is wildcougar166 (ill-advised to choose an online moniker at the age of 13).

EDIT: frig, I thought this was the MP networking thread. My bad!

Hey just a heads up PSA

Today's Queen's Wrath bounties include:

"For Her Honor
Win 3 Crucible Matches with the Queen's Class, Emblem and Shader items equipped."

The Queen's Class item requires rep level 2 (there is both a shader and an emblem available at rep 1).

It is literally impossible to hit that today, even if you were to complete every other bounty. You can hit Rep Level 1, but only if you completed all six yesterday, and it looks like holding onto a Queen's Bounty cuts into your available options for the next day (I did not finish the Hand Cannon headshot quest yesterday, and it was still sitting unfinished in the bounty list today, and was not replaced when I turned it in).

Basically, if you take For Her Honor, you're going to be wasting a slot for at least two days unless you drop it after grabbing it so... I would avoid it.

I tried a Queen's Wrath mission solo and it was the absolute worst. I'd like to take another shot at one if I could get a fireteam together tonight.

Also, finally turned a legendary engram into a legendary item! Twice! One was a class item for Warlocks, which is kinda lame. The second engram turned into a nice slow auto rifle which is great. I also got the Dead Orbit autorifle from hitting Rank 3, which has an insane rate of fire that's kinda hard to control but shreds through PvE. I'll be keeping both auto rifles since they feel quite different.

I also got Dead Orbit boots, so I'm halfway to a full legendary set and a couple light points away from Level 26.

Anyone else see the post on Polygon about the crazy dude who hit level 30? - http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/23/6833657/Destiny-level-30

I tried a Queen's Wrath mission solo and it was the absolute worst. I'd like to take another shot at one if I could get a fireteam together tonight.

I made this terrible mistake last night and was in tears until Mike Danger and Korax showed up and saved the day. You guys are the best :D. We ran two more after doing the "kill Draksis" quest and both times got Draksis. I think Draksis beat up the Queen and took her lunch money. We were just not sure.

I am 100% game for doing some Queen's Wrath missions tonight! I should be on around 8:15ish EDT.

Basically, if you take For Her Honor, you're going to be wasting a slot for at least two days unless you drop it after grabbing it so... I would avoid it.

There has been at least 2 or 3 bounties available over the last week for completing Salvage objectives, and the Salvage mode was only running for the first weekend. Bungie needs a more intelligent way of generating those things.

I'm busy tonight, so I won't be on, but if you're still in need of help from Thursday on, let me know.

All complaining aside, can we agree that Queen's Wrath missions guaranteeing a legendary drop is the best player feedback thing Bungie has done so far? I think that's super rad; the missions are challenging and rewarding, and get you used to teamwork and gear you up so you can tackle the Vault of Glass.

That said, I am now not looking forward to grinding spinmetal and relic iron...

I've just began harvesting every spinmetal-type item I see no matter how far away it is when I see it if I'm doing patrol for a bounty. I also investigate every spawn cave just in case there's a chest that may contain more of those upgrade items.

If anyone is going to be on from say 9pm pacific or later, I could use a hand with the queen's wrath stuff also. I think I have 3 of the queen's bounties collected.

Are we bffs on PSN? I can be up a bit later tonight since I don't have to Gym in the morning. (also I said I was going to bed last night and got back up at midnight and ran Crucible unilt 1am or something, so I am terrible)

The planet-based materials aren't too bad to gather. It's easy enough to run around doing patrol missions and scooping them up. The roadblock I've hit is that items require Ascendant Shards/Energy to complete the final few upgrades. Those things are rare drops similar to the Strange Coins. I'm sitting on three or four armor upgrade slots and a couple weapon slots that I have all the other materials for, but can't complete.

I think they drop pretty frequently in Strike Playlist; we could get a group together over the weekend and just bang a bunch out. Most of us are 24 and higher at this point, so I think we should be alright for just running 24s back to back.

Click here for one weird trick, discovered by a reader:

The missions are actually relatively simple to tackle alone, you just need to bring up your Ghost and look at the mission modifier icons in the bottom-left of the screen. You should see an emblem for one of the damage types, signifying its amplification, so use weapons/class abilities of appropriate type and you'll chew through everything.

Also, if you don't want to do a particular mission you can always quit out and give the playlist another roll; your token doesn't get cashed in until mission completion.

So that's two, not-so-weird tricks, really.

I'm sitting on three or four armor upgrade slots and a couple weapon slots that I have all the other materials for, but can't complete.

This is probably more a function of my minor ocd, but choosing not to upgrade an item means that every time I go back to orbit it tells me upgrades are available!  Drives me crazy that I can't clear that after viewing the item upgrade once.

Are we bffs on PSN? I can be up a bit later tonight since I don't have to Gym in the morning. (also I said I was going to bed last night and got back up at midnight and ran Crucible unilt 1am or something, so I am terrible)

I think we are. I'm dc_juv3nal on psn.

This is probably more a function of my minor ocd, but choosing not to upgrade an item means that every time I go back to orbit it tells me upgrades are available!  Drives me crazy that I can't clear that after viewing the item upgrade once.

That's not how it functions for me... it only shows that every time a new upgrade is available. So if I haven't applied the second of five upgrades but then the third one is also unlocked, it'll pop up that notification again. But once I look at it, it clears the mark both on my inventory screen and the orbit screen.

Click here for one weird trick, discovered by a reader:

The missions are actually relatively simple to tackle alone, you just need to bring up your Ghost and look at the mission modifier icons in the bottom-left of the screen. You should see an emblem for one of the damage types, signifying its amplification, so use weapons/class abilities of appropriate type and you'll chew through everything.

Also, if you don't want to do a particular mission you can always quit out and give the playlist another roll; your token doesn't get cashed in until mission completion.

So that's two, not-so-weird tricks, really.

It wasn't me doing not enough damage, it was them killing me almost instantly. A hobgoblin snipe was almost one-shotting me and some of the Vex missions like to roll out four or five of them at once.

Yeah, we had a lot of "Arc Damage increased" on those Draksis runs, and that meant that Vandals could kill you in a single burst if you weren't paying attention. Ditto for "Solar Damage increased" when I got the Gate Lord mission and the aforementioned Hobgoblins. "Oh this going we-" *BANG* "The Darkness Has Consumed You"

That's not how it functions for me... it only shows that every time a new upgrade is available. So if I haven't applied the second of five upgrades but then the third one is also unlocked, it'll pop up that notification again. But once I look at it, it clears the mark both on my inventory screen and the orbit screen.

You're probably right!  May have just been that the rare weapon kept on unlocking the rest of the upgrades, so it appeared to keep needing to be cleared.  My bad.  :)

I beat my head against a Queen's Wrath mission solo last night & it was... kinda one of the most satisfying victories I've had since playing Dark Souls? All this post-lvl 20 stuff is super satisfying to me. Part of me resents the fact that the game expects its players to endure 10-12 hours of pretty trite stuff to get there but I think those hours of effort and observation are key to them being able to handle a complexity of encounter that's rewarding to work through at the endgame. The desperate improvisation it takes to get through a high level strike or boss encounter is the kind of thing that made me pour hours into Far Cry 2. So uh, I think maybe I like this game? I can't decide if the exclusion of new players from the stuff that I actually find fulfilling is smart game design or just lazy and dumb. I dunno, people have probably had this discussion much more eloquently already, since it's a design inherent to a lot of MMOs.

Editor's note: I'm not sober right now.