melmer

Destiny

I guess there's the Cryptarch as a mid-point, where you buy mystery items in a particular class, and the higher your Cryptarch rank is, the better the items are likely to be... but I've never seen a legendary come out of a Cryptarch purchase...

Yeah, about half of the legendary engrams I've gotten have given me motes of light. The other half has been all blues. I suppose it works if I want to get an exotic engram from Xur. The only legendary item I have right now is the torso armor from Dead Orbit.

I'm kinda thinking about grinding Crucible marks this week to get the 100 marks/week trophy and to afford two more legendary armor pieces. At 15 marks/day, I feel like it'd just take up to a couple hours a night of grinding.

If you ever see me on, and you're doing crucible stuff. Invite me. Might not always have a mic (my girlfriend thinks it's hilarious to start shouting when I'm talking), but I'm always up for a good crucible team.

Other news:

I got my first autorifle yesterday. My KD ratio in crucible went from 1:1 to about 2:1. It's a good gun. Shame it's blue.

I have never even seen the Cryptarch offer anything past a green :(

And yeah, as terrible as I feel for doing it, auto rifle + shotgun is my crucible gear of choice. The aim assist (which is CRAZY in this game, is it just me?) makes auto rifles such that all you have to do is point at heads and shoot, and you'll win a distance fight with no problems. Use your radar effectively, take no shame in camping a corner, and you'll just ruin people with a shotgun. Once I stopped trying to be a special snowflake running a hand cannon and fusion rifle, and started playing Call of Duty: Superheroes, my K/D went from abysmal to "over 1:1 every time."

I don't sleep well at night.

I hit rep 3 with the Future War Cult, and found out that the factions do a similar thing as the Cryptarch: reaching a new level from 3 onward awards you with a bonus item package, which happened to have some crafting material and one of the FWC's legendary scout rifles in my case. So now I'm not concerning myself with any other rep, except maybe getting vanguard rep to 2 so I can spend those stupid marks on something decent. Also, I got a weird legendary auto rifle from something. 

I had the sort of weekend where the only time I put on clothes was when I needed to greet a pizza delivery person.

Well crap, maybe I will just continue with Dead Orbit. Though I'm honestly taking a shine to hand cannons more than auto rifles for PvE, the latter of which I was focusing on with my choice. Meh.

I had the sort of weekend where the only time I put on clothes was when I needed to greet a pizza delivery person put out the trash on Sunday night.

Fixed, for me.

So Sunsinger in pve can be played kinda melee tanky if you take the radiance mode that reduces incoming damage and the punch mode that gives you 10 seconds of shields when you hit something. Great for punching the heck out of a thrall swarm (you can accidentally punch the explody thralls with impunity if you have those protective buffs up).

I've always been most comfortable at mid to close range in Bungie games in PVP and PVE, rushing down enemies with high impact weapons and sealing the deal with melee. I've had a lot of success with Scout Rifles and Fusion Rifles so far. However, I've only played as a hunter (and only up to 15) so I'm not sure how reliant my success is on the class I'm playing. 

Great opening to that article. Unfortunately, it cements the view in my mind that I'd never be able to put up with the BS long enough to get to the fun.

His frustrations with the reward system are right on. Patrol missions are by far the most boring part of the endgame and yet they reward just as well as strikes plus they're quicker to get through.

It does get me excited for the raids though...I'm not much for farming but hopefully I get up to 26 someday along with a critical mass of people here to make a go of it.

Great opening to that article. Unfortunately, it cements the view in my mind that I'd never be able to put up with the BS long enough to get to the fun.

I actually just made it to level 26 just recently, finally picked up my first exotic item and all that.  However I'm finding that once you make it to that level, unless you have a team you can do raids with or are really into the PvP the game starts to die a death by a thousand cuts.  All the previous frustrations are made that much worse by knowing there isn't much of anything to build toward, and from what I've been seeing the raids don't seem to be giving out much in the way of in game rewards.  That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this game up until that point and will probably just end up coming back to it once an expansion or major content update comes through.

Edit: Wrong Quote

Yeah, the farming is ridiculous. I did it for about 30 mins and got bored. I hope that shit it hotfixed. 

Also: please tell me you posted that on the Destiny/Bungie twitter. That'd be fantastic.

I stole it out of the kotaku review :) (which was a really good read by the way)

Also: please tell me you posted that on the Destiny/Bungie twitter. That'd be fantastic.

I have now :)

fyi queen's bounty stuff is up. do a queen's bounty (available through regular bounty dude) and get access to a random mission at lvl24 with guaranteed legendary reward (accessible throught the column of missions where the daily mission shows up). Also rank up in the queen's bounty faction (?) and there are some new shop (at the new unlocked tower location) items available. Disappointingly, it looks like those are mostly rares, but there are new shaders at rank 3.

The Strikes totally make this game for me. Kirk Hamilton was spot on when he said you never feel like everything is under control no matter how many times you do the strike. I just wish I had a stable group to play with. Randoms can only go so far. 

I've had a pretty decent time in the Strike playlists. Some guys aren't great, others want to go through it pretty quickly, but I've mostly gotten pretty cooperative teams who quickly revive me if I'm down, can show me a few tricks on certain levels now and then, etc. I can see myself playing a fair amount of Destiny going forward riding mostly on the back of that playlist, daily/weekly events, bounties, and Crucible.

I've also gotten a little better at Crucible. I've been giving the FFA/Rumble type some of my time, which has been interesting. I usually don't like those modes, but the various abilities make it so you can do some really crazy chaining of kills when every person on the map is a bad guy. For instance, I have a skill where I can do a rushing attack after a brief time of sprinting that assures a one-hit kill. I can rush, take out one guy, another two guys round the corner both half damaged, I take out one with a shotgun and one with my melee special. Two other guys enter the room from two directions, I use my Titan special attack to take everyone out in my vicinity. It doesn't happen every game, but that series of encounters that can take place in the span of 10 seconds is absolutely exhilarating. Also, Bladedancer is bananas in Rumble.

I finally got a Vanguard Missive! I took the one for Invective - the shotgun that regens ammo - and now I am immediately discovering how insane these exotic bounties are. Like whoa nelly. The first one I have to run is finish five strikes (not in a row, thank the heavens) without dying, and it's... it's not going super well.

That said, I've been running mostly 22/24 Strike Playlist, because as JonCole points out, that's probably the most fun you can have in the game. So it makes a bit of sense that I'd be kicking the bucket a bunch. But if anyone wants to get together tonight and bang out a bunch of easy Strikes so I can move on to whatever the next step in this bounty is uh, that'd be real cool.

And yeah, Bladedancer is... absurd. If you take Encore as your final perk (extends Arc Blade for every kill), you can effectively clear an entire map with one super if it's a small enough map and you've got it memorized (Delphi is my jam, but also Blind Watch, Shores of Time, Twilight Gap). Similarly, if you take... whatever the second final perk is, where you go invisible after crouching, you become a corner camp god, and everyone hates you forever.

I still like control the most, it feels the most tactical. Plus with a competent team you can basically just play it like team slayer. 

Yeah Arc Blade seems a little over powered in my opinion. The Titan ult is basically 1 enemy 1 kill, unless you're super lucky and there are a few gathered together (which rarely happens in my experience). Arc Blade on the other hand regularly ends up with 2+ (leaning on the +) kills. 

I've yet to get the upgrade to the Titan ability that sends a wave in the forward direction (I'm using the remaining AoE currently), but maybe that'll even things out, although I seriously doubt it.

I got the Invective over the weekend. I got the five strikes by playing the Moon strike repeatedly and carefully (the Earth one is easier, but I find it more tedious). After that, it's a 25 kill-death spread in multiplayer. That one's not too bad. It spans over multiple matches and counts assists as kills, so it took me 3 or 4 rounds. Then you have to do a weekly event. That was the real challenge. The Weekly Strike is a beast. Then it was "purchasing" a component from the gunsmith for 50 special ammo synthesis modules, which just meant grinding glimmer to buy them from him, turn around, and get the part.

I'm working on the Thorn right now: Do the Moon Strike to get an "uncharged" gun, kill 500 Hive on the Moon to partially charge it, kill players with void damage in multiplayer (a weird point-based thing where kills get you 3 or 4 points and deaths subtract a point), buy a thing from the Speaker for a Mote of Light, and then (what I'm currently on) do a special version of the Moon strike that's boosted to level 26 and requires the boss to be kept alive until a different unique boss appears and is killed. So if anyone wants to try that, it would be cool.

What times will you be on tonight roughly? I'm only 24, which means I'll be shooting for 40% less than normal, but maybe luck will be on my side and I'll pick up some gear before we run it.

And yeah the Earth strike is easier but 100% more tedious because of the Devil Walker. I've accidentally eaten a grenade twice now (once while reviving another guy, which led to a flurry of curses) and ruined my no deaths as a result. I'll probably run the moon a whole bunch tonight; I don't think I've ever eaten it on normal.

Sure glad I've been grinding that glimmer though, pop a glimmer buff before 99% of missions nowadays.

I still like control the most, it feels the most tactical. Plus with a competent team you can basically just play it like team slayer. 

Yeah Arc Blade seems a little over powered in my opinion. The Titan ult is basically 1 enemy 1 kill, unless you're super lucky and there are a few gathered together (which rarely happens in my experience). Arc Blade on the other hand regularly ends up with 2+ (leaning on the +) kills. 

I've yet to get the upgrade to the Titan ability that sends a wave in the forward direction (I'm using the remaining AoE currently), but maybe that'll even things out, although I seriously doubt it.

I almost always kill at least two enemies with the Titan super, but I mostly play Control where you can tell if there are multiple guys attacking a point based on how quickly it's being captured. The wave is super nice, but not really for PvP as I think the wave does reduced damage as compared to actually being in the epicenter (so I don't think the wave is a one-hit kill in PvP).

So if anyone wants to try that, it would be cool.

I'd be down.

Huh, I rarely do. Generally when I get it, I use it up fast. I hate the idea of wasting any super energy that might be coming my way. Next time I play I'll hold onto it and see if there's ever a "perfect moment."

I have seen a few Titans using bubble on smaller control maps, but other than yeah, I find it just ends up being Titans one-shotting me out of nowhere and getting just one kill

Meanwhile Arc Blade and Golden Gun...

Edit:

Quick thoughts, do we think the three classes each fit a certain style of gameplay more? I feel like Titan is really a PvE class, Hunter is PvP, and Warlock goes both ways depending on how you spec.