melmer

Destiny

After about an hour Korax, JonCole and I just finished that heroic strike (Moon Strike, level 22, enemies don't flinch)

Suddenly I understand the "enemies are just bullet sponges" complaint from reviews

That strike was savage. Taking out the flinching really does make them seem like bullet sponges, as I've realized that flinching gives you that critical buffer time to move among groups of enemies. Without the flinching, if you're surrounded by enemies you're totally screwed and there's nothing you can do about it. Also, wizards are huge dicks.

In other news, I found out that FWC has a Titan armor set called "Astrolord". I'm feeling a little sad about going Dead Orbit as my first faction choice, though I will eventually become an astrolord.

The Heroic modifier adding in extra enemies didn't help. Even without flinching, a couple knights or wizards would probably be manageable, but throwing four or five out at once is ridiculous.

What level are y'all up to?  I finally made it to level 2 vanguard rep last night and bought a bunch of armors, which brought me from level 22 to level 26 and now I'm finding the game way too easy. I even managed to complete all the weekly heroic stuff on my own (minus the level 28 one) at increased difficulty levels.  I suppose the next step is to try and get some friends together to accomplish one of the raids, but that is a much greater time commitment than I am willing to make at the moment.

I was at 22 at the time; poor choice. I dinged 23 last night after grinding that spot juv3nal posted. Two legendary engrams! Both gloves! One rare! One legendary... for warlocks. :(

Hopefully I'll hit level 2 FWC today and then it's all Astrolord All The Time. Unless I grab enough Strange Coins this weekend, in which case that Hunter chestpiece looks *mighty* appealing.

Edit: I hate double-posting but uh... does anyone else notice something bizarre here?

10668423_2094876971799_136037909_n_zps7f

Hint: Subclass: 2/3

Urgh. I tried a heroic strike at level 23 with two randoms who were both 21. Took an hour of constant failure before I gave up. SO BORING. I'm never doing one of those again unless I'm way over geared, or have people I know on mic.

I only did it because I felt pressured to get the vanguard marks this week so I can stay at a similar level to other people (Plus I absolutely hate my primary and I'm desperate for an upgrade).

Hint: Subclass: 2/3

Yeah, there is a notable empty subclass option/box on the in-game character screen too. I only imagine it'll be in expansion stuff later on.

Urgh. I tried a heroic strike at level 23 with two randoms who were both 21. Took an hour of constant failure before I gave up. SO BORING. I'm never doing one of those again unless I'm way over geared, or have people I know on mic.

I only did it because I felt pressured to get the vanguard marks this week so I can stay at a similar level to other people (Plus I absolutely hate my primary and I'm desperate for an upgrade).

At some point, it'd probably be easier to just matchmake into easier Strikes that you could do faster with randos rather than harder ones that you could be screwed on if you have bad randos. You going to play any more today? I'll probably be playing in another hour or so from now after I finish dinner and would be willing to do a few strikes.

What level are y'all up to?

I'm 25. I think I have the gear I need to hit 26 but I'm behind on crafting materials, ascendant shards in particular (there are others I'm missing but they're the ones relatively easily farmed in patrol mode.

This weekend's been good to me so far. Bought the Sunbreaker gauntlets and en exotic engram from the special vendor, and the engram gave me some Voidfang Vestments, after which I found out that you can only have one piece of exotic armor equipped at a time. Fortunately, each of those pieces give a bonus to abilities in opposite subclasses, so I've been switching them out along with subclass, depending on what I'm doing. I also got much further in the exotic weapon bounty, and now I just need to farm up some glimmer to buy the final (I think) part and I should have a cool shotgun, too!

This weekend has been actively shitting on my face. Three legendary engrams, zero legendaries. On the bright side, I just randomly got a rare ship from submitting a bounty -

7dv1Mtk.png

I had some time to kill and some podcasts to listen to, so I decided to try that farming location. Unsurprisingly, there were already a couple people there, whereupon I discovered that the game has a sort of soft grouping system that counts kills from nearby players as yours. I then popped a black wax idol and sat nearby, letting them do all the work and scooping up the drops and glimmer.

Heads up - the Agent of the Nine is hanging out in the North Tower, near the Speaker. I kinda just thought he didn't come by every weekend, but I guess he does but just in a different place every time?

Just a tiny slither from hitting level 24 but still yet to find any Legendary stuff :(

Quick question about PvP faction stuff, sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere and I've missed it. I've got a whole bunch of Crucible marks, enough to get myself some stuff from the vendor but my I've still got a little way to go till I hit Crucible rep lvl 2. Yet to look at any of the other faction stuff, just wondering if I now go and buy something from one of them and start grinding rep for a faction, do I stop getting rep for use with the main Crucible vendors? Are the Crucible guys basically just their own faction? Just wondering when I should look at buying faction gear.

I've just said faction too much in my head and now that word's lost all meaning.    

yeah, if you (for example) join the Future War Cult. whenever you are wearing the FWC arm band all Vanguard and Crucible experience will go in to levelling up the FWC faction instead

Crucible levelling only happens with Bounties right? Or do you get like 10 crucible points per match. Anyway, all depends on whether you're wearing the faction armband when you finish a match or cash in your bounties.

Just think as the crucible/vanguard as the default faction

Yeah - my plan is to hit Vanguard level 2, then switch to FWC, although having found a legendary scout rifle might change that, since that was mainly what I wanted from the FWC... although their logoed cloak is super snappy.

All the talk I'm hearing from this game is reminding me hard of previous MMOs. There's factions that you put XP towards by equipping an item? And the only way to get a particular high value item is to feed a particular NPC high-value items for merely the chance of an appealing return?

All the talk I'm hearing from this game is reminding me hard of previous MMOs. There's factions that you put XP towards by equipping an item? And the only way to get a particular high value item is to feed a particular NPC high-value items for merely the chance of an appealing return?

It's definitely got some serious MMO loot design, though the latter thing you mention is not part of it.

I'm almost rank 3 in Dead Orbit, so I think I'm going to work on FWC next. But I also want to rank Vanguard since I am playing a lot more PvE than PvP, so I think I'll only equip the FWC class item while I'm playing Crucible or submitting Crucible bounties.

6 legendary engrams.

6 blues. 

Why? If they wanted legendaries to be rare, just drop less engrams. Nothing is more disheartening than turning in a purple and getting a blue. 

I agree on Leg Engrams, it's insane that they drop so few actual Legendary items. I am level 25 and have only gotten three Legendaries total, all were from blue engrams that randomly rolled up.

Yeah, about half of the legendary engrams I've gotten have given me motes of light. The other half has been all blues. I suppose it works if I want to get an exotic engram from Xur. The only legendary item I have right now is the torso armor from Dead Orbit.

I'm kinda thinking about grinding Crucible marks this week to get the 100 marks/week trophy and to afford two more legendary armor pieces. At 15 marks/day, I feel like it'd just take up to a couple hours a night of grinding.

It's definitely got some serious MMO loot design, though the latter thing you mention is not part of it.

Isn't that what engrams are?

The NPC inventory is explicitly listed out, so it's not a chance of a high value return. You know exactly what you'll get. Engrams are drops from enemies or crucible/mission rewards that have a chance of being a variety of things when "decoded".