melmer

Destiny

I just hit rep level 2 with the FWC, and promptly bought an ASTROLORD ROBE.

I just hit level 2 with Dead Orbit but I don't have enough Crucible Marks :(

I will very shortly be buying a sweet EXODUS PLATE

UPDATE: I bought the EXODUS PLATE and it's pretty dope.

Sometimes I will buy a few of the cheapest guns from the gunsmith in order to immediately dismantle them. I wish you could just buy the parts.

As an Enchanter in WoW, this is a totally valid, and sometimes necessary thing to do.

Damn you people and rep. I'm without internet at home until next week. I'm going to fall behind with gear! D:

finally got my first pieces of usable legendary stuff (yay!) (I have, apparently, legendary helmets for every class except my own)

both were weapons so neither increased my light/level (boo!)

also one of them was a shotgun. (boo! hiss!)

also I'm just a couple of bounties away from level 3 vanguard and have 79 marks or so saved so I should be able to afford something on that front soon.

That is crazy but something I might actually do. Or buy white weapon engrams just for parts, that way you at least get rank as well as parts.

I've been doing that with uncommon class items - buy the engram, immediately dismantle it, harvest the wire to upgrade armor (although I've taken a Destiny break lately).

Where are people getting legendaries from? I've only seen 2 drop, and they were in PvP (something I don't do a lot unless someone else is online). In PvE I've not spotted anything better than a blue engram. 

Where are people getting legendaries from? I've only seen 2 drop, and they were in PvP (something I don't do a lot unless someone else is online). In PvE I've not spotted anything better than a blue engram. 

I am a filthy farmer is where I am getting these engrams

Note legendaries are still very rare, but this method nets you a ton of crappy blue/green engrams. Which decrypting will level up your cryptarch. And every cryptarch level from 3 on gets you a reward engram that has a chance to be legendary (or better, from what I''ve read, although the best I've gotten was legendary). My cryptarch is currently level 6?

Also I think there is a tiny chance to get a legendary off a blue engram.

Level 6?! Holy crap, I guess that makes a huge difference, my guy is level 2. 

Alright. I'm farming there, looks way better than the place I tried before. 

I got a legendary machine gun out of a blue engram, so it can definitely happen, Too bad I prefer using rocket launchers.

That is crazy but something I might actually do. Or buy white weapon engrams just for parts, that way you at least get rank as well as parts.

Unfortunately, white weapons only break down into meager amounts of glimmer. Perhaps a rare chance for parts, but I haven't seen it.

I got a legendary machine gun out of a blue engram, so it can definitely happen, Too bad I prefer using rocket launchers.

Unfortunately, white weapons only break down into meager amounts of glimmer. Perhaps a rare chance for parts, but I haven't seen it.

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I tried it once. Probably more reliable to just buy the weapons straight up as you suggested. That said, I've altered my behavior in that I pretty much am just not going to upgrade weapons unless I'm using them all the time. Really need to save that stuff for upgrading stuff at a higher light level.

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I tried it once. Probably more reliable to just buy the weapons straight up as you suggested. That said, I've altered my behavior in that I pretty much am just not going to upgrade weapons unless I'm using them all the time. Really need to save that stuff for upgrading stuff at a higher light level.

That's really important as you get higher level. If you don't care much for a gun/piece of armour, just leave it lowest rank. Waste of materials. 

If I may derail the gear-talk for a moment:

Playing the Crucible last night, I was the only non-20+ level person.  They all had a shield as part of their life-bar.  Does one unlock shields later in the game or is Bungie displaying the health-bar information in two different ways? (my personal health bar is a single white bar, but all my teammates and enemies had a red bar and a white bar)

Just for fun I downloaded the Destiny companion app.  It's a bit of a mess!!  All those grimoire cards are laid out in grids with icons and no text to tell you what you're selecting.  There's a yellow bar at the bottom of each icon, some partially filled, some not-at-all filled, some completely filled; I haven't been able to figure out what the yellow bars mean.  I was hoping they designated items that you haven't read, but that doesn't seem to be a feature that Bungie has implemented yet.  So when the game tells you a new Grimoire card is unlocked, you'll have to root through a few complicated layers of icons to figure out where the heck the new card is.  And then it's also just flavor text!

I'm an Awoken just starting the Moon missions and I still have no idea what an Awoken is.  The issue the game faces with just about every fact and icon and inscrutable detail is that I'm stuck wondering whether I missed something or whether they intended me to not know. Looking up Awoken in a wiki tells that this is a case where I shouldn't have known, but how was I to know that I shouldn't have known!

I think your shield/life are integrated into the single bar on the top of your screen. If I've interpreted it correctly, it's 2/3 shield, 1/3 health, and it all seems to recharge anyway, so it may not really matter.

'm an Awoken just starting the Moon missions and I still have no idea what an Awoken is.  The issue the game faces with just about every fact and icon and inscrutable detail is that I'm stuck wondering whether I missed something or whether they intended me to not know. Looking up Awoken in a wiki tells that this is a case where I shouldn't have known, but how was I to know that I shouldn't have known!

Just wait until you meet the Queen of the Awoken and your character acts like they don't know what an Awoken is despite being one.

The thing with shield/life is that if you are damaged to less than 1/3 health, then first it only recharges to 1/3 and there's a few second delay before the remaining 2/3 fills. I assume that's what the dual bar thing is trying to convey.

Maybe they cut a lot of story content to meet their release date? The amount of missing exposition is just too large.

on the resource note, if you dismantle an upgraded item you actually get more stuff for it.  What I've been doing is swapping to any blue or green items items before turning in bounties, buying the upgrades, and dismantling the item for a few extra bits.

I think your shield/life are integrated into the single bar on the top of your screen. If I've interpreted it correctly, it's 2/3 shield, 1/3 health, and it all seems to recharge anyway, so it may not really matter.

Cool!  Since you all sound pretty high level, if you haven't gotten a shield yet it must be a crazy difference in display choices.

Maybe they were just pressed for time and did a fantastic job of cutting all the stuff that makes things make sense, but kept in everything made it all function?  They certainly should be commended for that, I suppose.  Seems like most developers just push out a broken product when they hit a deadline in a bad way, but this is expertly broken.  Everything works but nothing makes sense.  On the other hand, I like to think that Bungie wanted to capitalize on the "Dark Souls internet" by obfuscating the systems/lore/currency, etc.