melmer

Destiny

I am almost level 23 and have yet to get anything Legendary whatsoever :(

These drop rates seem really rough but maybe it improves at higher levels?

I'm in the same boat as you, bar having just made level 23 on rares alone. I have read that leveling up your rank with the cryptowhatever-engram-decoding-guy results in better drops. Not entirely sure how true that is, but there may be something to it as I never saw any rares at all early on in the game. While they are not exactly common now, they do at least appear.

I sometimes leave Crucible matches that I'm losing, but I've only done so when the matchmaking doesn't fully populate a team. I started a match yesterday with four people on my time and six on the other in Control. There's basically no way to win that and when I actually looked at the roster after losing all three points at once I quit.

I finally hit level 21 on Rares, I'm just saving up for faction legendaries. I already have 30-something Crucible marks and I'm rank 1 in Dead Orbit, by the time I hit rank 2 I should be able to afford at least two pieces of armor that will probably increase my level significantly.

I was turning in bounties last night and got the opportunity to take an Exotic Weapon Bounty, which looks like a series of smaller bounties with the ultimate prize of an exotic weapon. So, barring a ridiculous difficulty curve, I have a guaranteed way to get a sweet gun now.

Yeah re: faction armor and crucible/vanguard mark lockouts (which is so wonderfully MMO, Bungie cannot even move past Stage 1), does anyone have particular orders they'd attach to getting that gear?

Headgear is obviously $$$ compared to everything else (and with a cap of 100/week, I don't think you can get those for two weeks), but offers the most light, whereas boots/chest/arms are all less and probably won't give you that free level boost.

Also, Korax, are you already past level 20, or at the soft cap? I haven't seen one of those yet, but I uh, I should also probably actually finish the story instead of just running bounties, strikes, and older missions with friends nonstop.

I'm gear-boosted to 24, creeping up on 25. I'm not certain, but I think the exotic bounty triggers based on how many bounties you've completed. You get an item that you give to the bounty guy for the exotic bounty, which I got immediately after turning in some regular bounties, so I was already in the menus to do so.

Bounty.

The exotic helmet I found is called An Insurmountable Skullfort. I can't help but imagine a space marine wearing a miniature stone keep on his head.

I'm *really* hoping that one's on offer again this weekend; the Arc Blade bonus is just hilariously nasty. I've been proccing Strange Coins at an alarming rate; I feel like probably 75% of my blue engrams end up being Strange Coins or Motes of Light. Did any of the weekend-only stuff need Motes, or is that still just locked to the Speaker?

The vendor was selling exotic engrams for motes. Seeing as how I've only gotten a single item that was better than blue from purple engrams, I don't know if I think it would be worth it, but what the hell else is there to spend them on, I suppose.

That Coyote Cape the Speaker sells for Hunters is pretty nice

Which brings up another point: how does everyone feel about the aesthetic options in this game? I think the shaders are pretty goofy, and some of them are downright painful to look at, but maybe I'm in the minority there.

I got the forest green one as a drop and I actually like it. I imagine shaders will be less compelling if I have a full armor set.

A legendary engram finally gave me something cool and I got an exotic helmet! For a different class! ARGH

I feel your pain. It'll be a long time, if ever, before I level a Warlock to 20: am currently Bladedancer developing my level 21 Hunter...

So, you know, thanks for the unusable hat, Destiny gods.

I've been having some success with shotguns as a Titan, but really only when using the shield ability since distance is less of an issue when it is up.  I've tried playing more offensively with the striker subclass, but even after throwing down almost all my abilities (flashbang > charge melee > shotgun blast > standard melee) I do about as much damage as the blade dancer does in 2-3 swipes of their super.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-group-who-conquered-destinys-first-raid/1100-5021/

“All we got was a shader and a couple of high-level materials,” said Preu. “I don’t think either of our groups got any actual loot. I’m sure they’re going to fix that.”

Guess I don't have to give a fuck about raids any more.

Yeah that... that's so incredibly MMO it hurts. Reminds me of why I wanted nothing to do with Binding Coil of Bahamut when I played FFXIV.

"Well, I could spent several hours slogging through this and pray I get an armor drop only to get some useless thing, or I could level up another class"

I do think that's one thing Destiny has going for it; if you're all about the grind and doing the same missions over and over, having six sub-classes to level up is an incredible amount of content. Considering I've run Shrine of Oryx about 20 times already, something tells me I won't be too chuffed to do it another 20 times. If you're someone who measures "Game Quality = Time Spent Doing All The Things," Destiny seems like pretty good bang for buck.

I do think that's one thing Destiny has going for it; if you're all about the grind and doing the same missions over and over, having six sub-classes to level up is an incredible amount of content. Considering I've run Shrine of Oryx about 20 times already, something tells me I won't be too chuffed to do it another 20 times. If you're someone who measures "Game Quality = Time Spent Doing All The Things," Destiny seems like pretty good bang for buck.

This is basically the reason I'm still playing.  I used to be really into Halo, but it was always difficult to get a group together to play story missions.  The one thing I wish Bungie would do is add matchmaking to everything in the game including the story missions (unless it's already there and I'm just missing something).

Matchmaking doesn't seem to exist for story; just strikes/strike playlist and Crucible. What I'd really love is a story-based toggle; there are some missions I'd rather run alone purely for nostalgia's sake (and because after a certain point the challenge kind of disappears when you have a bunch of level 20+ folks chewing through a level 20 hard mode mission).

I ran the final story mission solo last night (after, you know, a week of avoiding it), and I feel like if I had done it with friends/other people it wouldn't have had the challenge I feel should be present in a Final Mission.

The Strike Playlist matchmaking is hilarious, because so far I've *just* encountered other people running it for marks, and since Strikes don't have a difficulty scale, you'll get Devil's Lair or something and rip through it in five minutes.

Does anyone have a really hard time affording upgrades in terms of components (not glimmer)? I feel like I'm always out of weapon parts. Yesterday I farmed a story mission checkpoint for a good hour or so just to get them, since I was getting hardly any weapon drops organically.

I had a similar issue with weapon parts early on, but now I'm having the same one with armor components.  The legendary level armors especially need ascendant shards which can't really be gathered reliably, and 15-30 of some common resource which takes a few runs just for one upgrade.

I've definitely been hurting for weapon parts, but have an overabundant supply of hadronic essence (warlock armor material). Sometimes I will buy a few of the cheapest guns from the gunsmith in order to immediately dismantle them. I wish you could just buy the parts.

Sometimes I will buy a few of the cheapest guns from the gunsmith in order to immediately dismantle them. I wish you could just buy the parts.

That is crazy but something I might actually do. Or buy white weapon engrams just for parts, that way you at least get rank as well as parts.

Although I'm kinda saving my glimmer in case they put out a ship or sparrow with an actually new design (as opposed to the same 4-5 ships and single design of sparrow) that will cost a ton.

Korax that is the most incredible idea I've ever heard.

I think what blows my mind is that the game gives you the opportunity to exchange materials for Crucible marks, which I 100% did back in the beta because there was nothing to do with Spinmetal, and now *not so much*.

Maybe it is just me but this game on PS3 feels sort of anti-social. I don't have a huge friends list, for most of last gen I was on xbox. Most of my ps3 RL friends have moved on to PS4. I have kept my fireteam stuff open, attempted to talk to people, invited people to my fireteam etc but no luck. Kind of a bummer because I feel like this game would be way more enjoyable with a few people, even if they were just randoms. I have a good time during strikes.