melmer

Destiny

What do you mean by first daily event? I usually do heroic, the crucible and I've done the strike once or twice. I've only got one coin.

A daily reward gets mailed to you for completing one of the timed events that can occur in the shared spaces. It's obvious when one's happening as the sky darkens and you get a notification on the left of the screen.

I believe they're on timers if you want to dig into it, but generally speaking the easiest way to run into one is load up a Patrol and hang about in the more open areas, like the aircraft graveyard near the Skywatch in Old Russia; you can run into them whilst doing Story missions, but the Patrol requests give you something to do whilst you wait.

Speaking of which, I've also come across a Strange Coin in a regular chest. Always worth seeing if you're lucky should you hear the tell-tale tinkle of one nearby.

Daily Events are mostly on Earth, mostly on half-hour timers, and even then both personal experience and online comments have shown that they sometimes don't trigger. They usually involve a special mini-boss-esque baddie spawning in and you're given a few minutes of countdown timer to kill them. If you fail, you get a bronze rating, if you get close, silver, and successful completion gives you a gold. I had a pretty intense one within my first hour or so of playing, and managed to get the final killing sniper rifle crit with one second left on the clock.

Yeah, I guess I actually meant public events. And it's apparently possible to get something other than strange coins for you first event of the day, because yesterday I got a piece (?) of Ascendant Energy, whatever the hell that is.

Yeah I hit two public events yesterday while patrolling the Moon (a ridiculous thing to type out) and got one Strange Coin and I think one Ascendant Energy. I too have no idea what that stuff is for. Probably some gear upgrade?

Totally unrelated but I got a purple armor shader last night that I tried using and my Warlock armband now has sweet glowing neon trim. Despite its flaws, I think this game kinda has me in its clutches now...

The Ascendant Energy is also used for upgrades, I think for exotics or legendaries.

I've made a huge mistake by dismantling all my old weapons. I jumped into multiplayer yesterday and had my ass completely handed to me, 1 kill in the entire game :/ my current auto rifle has a really low impact stat and kinda rubbish range, so i'm dead in the water.

I wish they'd give you a PvE equipment/stats tab and a PvP tab which strips away all the stats and perks that aren't used in multiplayer

That exact thing happened to me yesterday too. I went into PvP with this gun you get when you finish the "story" and got completely wrecked. And when I went to switch to an auto-rifle I was ok with before, I realized I'd probably dismantled it. Luckily, I had actually stored it away in my vault...a big relief. The PvP stats are right there though. I found a reddit thread that explained it well enough...the impact rating is the base damage and the attack number is the modifier based on level and strictly for PvE. So essentially just look at the bars for PvP and ignore the other stuff. I do wish I could save multiple loadouts so I could switch between PvP and PvE ones more easily (and not accidentally discard a good PvP gun because the attack is low)

Here's the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2g03i7/weapon_stats_explained/

Totally unrelated but I got a purple armor shader last night that I tried using and my Warlock armband now has sweet glowing neon trim. Despite its flaws, I think this game kinda has me in its clutches now...

I also got a purple shader and have been rocking a purple wizard robe since then. I found a cool-looking gold one last night, though, so I might try that one out for a while...

I'm a bit surprised that some publications haven't been giving more provisional reviews given that some of the game content is locked up in delaying systems, especially when most places didn't get a review out until later in the week because the multiplayer servers weren't up until a day before release. The first boss raid didn't go live until today. You can get legendary gear as random drops, but if you want to buy it from vendors, the cheapest I've seen is 150 vanguard/crucible marks, for which your earning is capped at 100/week. Even then, anything more than profile icons requires a faction reputation of 2+, which you can't start gaining until you reach level 20, because that's the level requirement to wear the bit of faction flair. The guy who sells exotic gear is only around on weekends, but the gear he sells costs 13-23 strange coins, so it was possible to get something last weekend, but would have taken some deliberate grinding (even after my weekend binge, I have 10 coins).

I'll be surprised if there aren't updated reviews (from sites that do that) as more endgame content is explored. There's actually a surprising amount there, not to mention I've still been finding stuff in the 1-19 content that I didn't see in my regular playthrough.

I think the IGN review said they would update or wait until this raid became available before they reviewed the game. But now that its here they can't even get in it anyway as they haven't got 6 lvl 26 players.

I jumped in a couple of streams of the raid and even at lvl 26 people where getting utterly destroyed, it looked nigh on impossible

What are people using for pvp? My lovely blue pulse rifle which is perfect for Strikes and such feels absolutely horrid and slow at times in the Crucible.

So at lvl 21 with a couple of RL pals at lvl 13, we got our butts handed to us repeatedly on one of the lvl 14 venus strikes last night. That stuff is no joke. Think they need to gain some levels before we have another crack at it. Just me being overlevelled is clearly not enough to make up for them being underlevelled.

Yeah, I even had trouble on one of the Moon strikes because the other two guys kept getting caught out and dying despite both being lv 20+. They just... weren't all that great and let themselves keep get targeted by the big thing without finding cover.

I use a pulse rifle in PVE and alternate between a pulse rifle and auto rifle in PVP depending on what kind of stuff the alternate team is using.

I've made a huge mistake by dismantling all my old weapons. I jumped into multiplayer yesterday and had my ass completely handed to me, 1 kill in the entire game :/ my current auto rifle has a really low impact stat and kinda rubbish range, so i'm dead in the water.

I wish they'd give you a PvE equipment/stats tab and a PvP tab which strips away all the stats and perks that aren't used in multiplayer

I keep doing that. But the way I see it, is that I won't get good, or understand a weapon unless I force myself to use it all the time. Low impact sucks in PvP though.

I keep doing that. But the way I see it, is that I won't get good, or understand a weapon unless I force myself to use it all the time.

Speaking of which, I really don't like/understand the shotgun. If it's not going to take down run of the mill grunt mobs (edit: who are at level parity with me) in 2 shots plus a melee attack, what is even the point. Even at close range I reckon I can probably do better hip firing a sniper rifle. And it's not the case of the shotgun being underlevelled (or at least not any more so than any of my other weapons), I only gave it a try because it was blue whereas my sniper was green.

Shotguns are I think 100% useless unless you are mucking around on the moon with Hive swarms or roll Bladedancer Hunter and are operating pretty much exclusively close-range.

What does everyone use as a secondary in PvP? I see a lot of fusion rifles, but I find them unwieldy when your enemies don't move predictably, and prefer to be that Awful Sniper Guy everyone hates rather than that Guy Who Gets Killed Always that everyone hates.

I use a pulse rifle in PVE and alternate between a pulse rifle and auto rifle in PVP depending on what kind of stuff the alternate team is using.

There goes my blaming it on using a pulse rifle excuse. Since about level 10, the only decent weapons I've had drop for me have all been pulse rifles which is why I've really gotten used to them for PvE stuff. Need to get used to keeping anything else for PvP and not just discarding it for the monies and materials straight away.

I have a sniper rifle with a low-range scope that I use for PvP when a Fusion Rifle isn't appropriate. But I'm usually using the Fusion Rifle.

I feel like the shotgun is pretty bad in this game. Nearly useless in the PvE, slightly more useful in PvP but only really if you're not comfortable with the Fusion Rifle.

There goes my blaming it on using a pulse rifle excuse. Since about level 10, the only decent weapons I've had drop for me have all been pulse rifles which is why I've really gotten used to them for PvE stuff. Need to get used to keeping anything else for PvP and not just discarding it for the monies and materials straight away.

Well, it's a bit of a challenge in PvP because auto rifles are so easy to just mash down and hip-fire whereas you need a little more finesse to use the pulse rifle. The key is aiming right below the chin so that multiple rounds hit the head in a single volley, then it's basically a headshot machine. It is also competent at a distance, which I really feel the auto rifle is not great at. Plus, I pretty much only use pulse rifles that have something in their description about being really small (kind of has a P90 SMG design) because most of the sights for those types of pulse rifles are short range. The pulse rifles with scopes are really bad.

In PvP levels with lots of cramped spaces the shotgun may win out since it lacks the charge time...otherwise it's fusion rifle all the way.

My main gun has been an auto-rifle with good stability. I think if I find a pulse rifle with a good impact rating I may give it a shot, but I primarily stick with auto because my aim isn't great so the constant stream of bullets helps me out a bit. I'm curious to try out the hand cannon in PvP, but again my bad aim makes me hesitant.

Pulse rifle with fast RoF and a Shotgun are pretty ace for this Bladedancer on most of the maps, Sniper for the rest. I am like level 21 now so maybe that changes at higher levels, or when people in general get more aware of the maps.

A legendary engram finally gave me something cool and I got an exotic helmet! For a different class! ARGH

Also, unless I'm just not looking in the right place, it's currently impossible to use the in-game player reporting system to report someone for quitting early! As soon as they do, they no longer show up in any menu that lets you report them. Not only are people leaving Crucible matches they are losing (without any apparent penalty), but I've had people leave missions in the Vanguard Strike playlist, presumably because they aren't getting the mission required for whatever item grinding scheme they're trying. It's fucking frustrating.

Something that's really fun, though: The Warlock's second subclass, the Sunsinger, unlocks the ability to set your super ability trigger to rez you if you're dead. It's incredibly satisfying to get killed when capturing a control point, wait until the enemy turns their back while they are capping, popping the rez and beating the fuck out of them.