melmer

Destiny

Ah the veil is beginning to lift. If there is a robust guide that you know of out there please post a link to it.

For example, will joining a faction move all your experience away from levelling up your crucible rank and into that faction rank... or does it level up both?

I believe it does divert the experience, but the reason I decided to do it is because I dabble in both halves - the Vanguard and Crucible. By joining a faction you can pool all the reputation from both of those into a single faction and get their rewards faster than you'd get the respective Vanguard/Crucible rank rewards if you do a little of both. If you're going to be doing a lot of one type of gameplay, then I imagine the factions are less compelling. Also I like hearing Peter Stormare's voice.

Ah i seeeeeee

i've just stumbled upon this which has been helpful

http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-factions-reputation-gear-guide/

So the crucible is actually just a faction just like the others you can choose, i guess its just your default one. This is also good as it says what which faction represents, for example future war cult unlocks weapons and armour with an emphasis on the Intellect and Discipline stats.

wait! what the hell does my Intellect and Discipline stats even do? and where are they :wacko: Don't worry, this is rhetorical :)

They are just to the left of your armor or to the right of your character's model in the menus. They reduce cooldowns for your ability junk.

I basically selected Dead Orbit because I saw that the final armor boosts auto rifles which are probably my favorite primary weapon type. I also like the basic black/white color scheme of their stuff, goes well with whatever armor you have pretty much.

Thats sounds right up my street, i'll probably jump in Dead Orbit too

Boom, thanks game faq's:

Intellect: Intellect decreases the cooldown time of your Super, allowing you to use it more often.

Discipline: Discipline decreases the cooldown time of your grenades, allowing you to use them more often.

Strength: Strength reduces the cooldown time of your melee modifier, allowing you to use it more often.

hmm actually, maybe Future war cult is for as i don't really care about my melee ability, decisions decisions

New Monarchy:INT/STR
Dead Orbit: DIS/STR
Future War Cult: INT/DIS

Ha, the fusion gun has replaced my shotgun. I really like it for PVE, hits like a train without having to get as close as the shotgun (also the only shot gun I have has a full auto "upgrade" which makes it impossible to aim. 

I don't actually know how to get the rep gain items.  :getmecoat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMaZEIV8hI'>If you like farming this is pretty cool.

The Pulse Rifle is really nice, it's definitely my number two favorite primary weapon type. The Fusion Rifle (charge-up gun) definitely takes some finesse but it super effective if you learn to use it. The ones with the highest impact can kill in one hit at point-blank range but also do a fair amount of damage at a distance or to groups of tightly packed enemies. I tend to use it most often when the enemy team is being a little cheeky with shotguns and dominating a close-quarters area with impunity.

I actually picked Dead Orbit because my preferred armor set boosts both Auto Rifles and Fusion Rifles ammo capacity and reload. Intellect doesn't seem as valuable to me as a Striker Titan, because I really tend to use my Super situationally - mostly if I see that someone is behind a tight corner with a shotgun or if there are three or four guys on a single control point. 

I've been really unlucky and have never actually found an auto rifle. They just never drop for me, and all I seem to die to in PvP is auto rifles and shotguns. Really want one!

I've recently switched back to Striker spec. It's rather different. I'm always low on HP compared to Defender where if I'm not with a bonus shield I'm doing something wrong. The super is fun when soloing though.

Weird! I have actually bought a couple through the span of my gametime from the Gunsmith, because I like them so much. The green ones are okay, don't compare well to blue ones but will do the job when I want to use them.

I'm using a Scout Rifle at the moment and I don't really like it. It's basically a longer ranged, but weaker hand cannon. Seems like the hand cannon fills the niche of high impact, low RoF much better. 

I'm going to try farming for an auto rifle some point this week. Gotta hit those dailies though. Generally get something from them.

One common farming strategy I've been reading about is running a high level story mission up until you have to fight a major or ultra enemy unit (with a yellow HP bar), killing it, and then killing yourself so that you respawn and fight it again. Also, make sure it's not a mission where the very last objective is killing it, or else it won't work.

People use this to farm Hive majors for that bounty with the second to last mission on Earth where your ghost is scanning a computer and you have to defend a room through several waves of Hive until he's done scanning. I think it takes place at Dock 13 or whatever it's called. You basically just wait until the penultimate wave, kill the yellow dude and then jump off the edge at the far end of the dock. It obviously wouldn't be great for farming high-level loot, but hopefully you get the idea.

Did you see the weekend vendor? He sells Legendaries for strange coins. I have 1 strange coin and no idea where I got it from. I wonder if they're farmable.

Strange coins are a random drop in Strikes and Crucible matches. They're the Darkness equivalent of the Mote of Light, which can be traded to the Speaker. I don't think they drop in any other contexts than those, but I could be mistaken. I have three coins that I got through doing Crucible.

First I want to echo that the systems in this game aren't explained well at all. The multitude of currencies and factions are both confusing and overwhelming at the start, made worse by the fact that they're meaningless (but visible) until very late in your character progression. I assume once I hit 20 I'll have the option to pick a faction? I'm level 19 and I still don't know what to do with this Spinmetal I got at level 5...

Regarding weapons, I've actually been using the fusion rifle a lot lately. The range/power ratio is a big draw...you don't have to get in as close as shotguns while still having the ability to take down people in one burst. It just takes some time to get used to the charge-up time.

Anyway, I'm still having a lot of fun with this. The PvP feels really good, despite the fact that I'm not very good at it and I'm still enjoying shooting baddies in PvE. Coop helps a lot there not even just because it's fun to play with other people, but because the combat is more interesting when there's someone else there for the enemies to react to and they have their own powers and abilities to throw into the mix. Sad that the story is so...nonexistent?

First I want to echo that the systems in this game aren't explained well at all. The multitude of currencies and factions are both confusing and overwhelming at the start, made worse by the fact that they're meaningless (but visible) until very late in your character progression. I assume once I hit 20 I'll have the option to pick a faction? I'm level 19 and I still don't know what to do with this Spinmetal I got at level 5...

"Picking" a faction is simply a matter of hitting level 20 and buying the class item from a particular faction vendor. When you equip the class item, it diverts all reputation that you'd get from doing Patrol missions, Vanguard bounties, and Crucible matches toward that Faction. From what I can tell, the only purpose of accruing reputation for that faction is to buy the particular items offered by that Faction's vendor at a certain rank.

All of the items that can be found in the environment like Spinmetal, Helium things, that shiny spirit stuff from Venus, etc can be traded for Vanguard faction at the Vanguard Quartermaster in the Tower. Additionally, I believe the items are used to upgrade level 20 legendary/exotic weapons and armor.

Yeah, from what I can tell you could sufficiently rank in one faction, then switch to another and another and eventually have access to all of the faction equipment. It'd just cost a lot of glimmer. :)

I noticed the same thing with the PVP types and Faction logos but haven't seen any tangible connection between the factions and those modes. I wonder if you get a reputation bonus if you're part of a faction and play that particular faction's PVP mode. I'll run a brief experiment if I have time later.

I actually had the same reaction at first, particularly when the Light stat is introduced, and I'm still not certain what the Grimoire is for.  What I've found helpful is reading over all the tooltips extensively before swapping in a piece of equipment and then after.  This is the one drawback I've seen in destiny's menu system, in that when a new concept is introduced they don't give you all the information about that topic, so you have to do some fiddling and investigation to really get a handle on it.

Strange coins are a random drop in Strikes and Crucible matches. They're the Darkness equivalent of the Mote of Light, which can be traded to the Speaker. I don't think they drop in any other contexts than those, but I could be mistaken. I have three coins that I got through doing Crucible.

You also get them from the reward package for completing your first Daily Event of the day. And, because you can put them in your cross-character vault, you can do Dailies with alts and farm coins.

As frustrating as the lack of explanation can be for figuring out game systems and menus, it's just that much worse when it extends to the story. It's sort of justified at first, because you've been dead or whatever for some ambiguous amount of time and aren't expected to know anything about what's going on. But very quickly it seems that your character must have taken a trip to the library and read up on things off-camera, because all sorts of shit is just whipped around without any context, and none of it seems to faze them. Any important information is relegated to Grimoire entries rather than actual in-game conversations. You want to know anything about the Fallen? Check the Grimoire. Background info on the Gunsmith? Check that Grimoire, son. You just met the Queen of the Awoken and are wondering what the fuck has been going on for the last half hour? You just unlocked a Grimoire entry, better hope it tells you something useful (it probably won't). All of which is made worse by the fact that THE GRIMOIRE IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE THROUGH THE BUNGIE WEBSITE, so you have to load up your web browser (or Destiny smartphone app) and get all this information outside the game. Even the ending is handled poorly; you complete the final boss fight, get a brief cutscene where the Stranger give you some vaguely ominous exposition, and are then unceremoniously dumped back to the In Orbit lobby. No real wrap-up, no credit roll, nothing. I wasn't actually sure that I had finished the story until I clicked through to the destination map and saw that there weren't any more story missions to play. At some point I decided that the people telling the story didn't care enough to actually tell it, so I wasn't going to care enough to try to decipher it.

All that said, I played something around 20 hours over the weekend. Regardless of what I think about the story, I really like playing the game. It's fun to jump in with a couple friends and shoot Cabal troops on Mars (who totally aren't 40K Space Marines, oh god don't let anyone from Games Workshop see them). It's fun to matchmake into a 3v3 squad deathmatch on Venusian ruins. And it's definitely fun to run around on the Moon, trying to find dumb things to dance on top of.

Talking about the Cabal, did anyone else thoroughly enjoy the change of music when you first come into contact with their Legionaries (sorry, 40k space marines) on Mars. It all started to feel a bit like something out of a Monty Python film.

I'm really enjoying this game, but it probably has less to do with Destiny itself than the co-op experience in general, since this is the first time I'm playing this sort of game co-cooperatively. The gameplay is simply super fun when playing with a friend(s).

As for the story, I have absolutely no idea what is going and that is fine by me. I totally understand why they want to keep the story moments as short as possible, and I am grateful for that. I am not here for dialogue trees and 15 minute cutscenes; I want to shoot aliens in the face. What I don't entirely understand is why the complexity of the world and the story are so greatly at odds with the time allocated to explaining stuff. But that is okay too, because the world doesn't feel very compelling to me.

Other things that are not that great: repetitiveness of the missions, loading times, being forced to visit the tower so often, the earpiece of the PS4 microphone.

Is anyone playing this single player only? How is it? I'm asking because, some of the darkness zones seem like they would be a pain in the ass when played alone.

Edit: The first encounter with the bouncy Mars marines and their theme song was hilarious.

What do you mean by first daily event? I usually do heroic, the crucible and I've done the strike once or twice. I've only got one coin.